WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

AT this year. Akto stood up to the trail just fine. Only used shelters on 3 occassions. Much more comfortable in the Akto. Taz

roger in bed (Large).jpg

Yosemite snow storm.jpg This is near Merced Lake, in Yosemite. Two days before it had been sunny and in the 70s. This is the beginning of a considerable storm; as the snow accumulated we decided to pack up and head back to Yosemite valley. It was late October. My tent is the yellow Kelty. It's not pitched very well, but it was a useful tent. My buddy rigged up an extra tarp over his tent.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Hey tipi, I wish I could post your photo of me at the Partnership S. 4/23/12. Thanks for taking it.
    Easily done. Here is Allegheny by the Partnership shelter on his AT thruhike in a late April snow 2012---

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Attachment 29258Attachment 29259 Well if we're down to posting shelter pics, here's Jerry's Cabin shelter on 1-21-10. With a fire going inside it was a toasty 38* inside. In the late 70s this had the dishonor of being called the most trashed shelter on the AT. The AT was on Duke Power lands and the USFS could not close the trail/road which it is on. Nothing like taking a break here while rednecks on dirt bike did wheelies as they went by. The trail was finally closed to motorized traffic in the late 80s and you can hardly tell it was a well used road. Now it gets trashed by hikers but I make monthly trips to help keep it a bit cleaner. That's how I got my trail name. Also the mice population is pretty much gone too.
    Throwing a tarp up on the open side of a shelter is a common ploy used in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by norts View Post
    AT this year. Akto stood up to the trail just fine. Only used shelters on 3 occassions. Much more comfortable in the Akto. Taz

roger in bed (Large).jpg
    Your pic of the Akto makes it look BIG. Little Mitten now uses an Akto (she graduated from the Light Wedge) and it's a sweet little tent. See---(taken by Bob Creek in the Wedge below Cold Spring Gap)

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    Yosemite snow storm.jpg This is near Merced Lake, in Yosemite. Two days before it had been sunny and in the 70s. This is the beginning of a considerable storm; as the snow accumulated we decided to pack up and head back to Yosemite valley. It was late October. My tent is the yellow Kelty. It's not pitched very well, but it was a useful tent. My buddy rigged up an extra tarp over his tent.
    Conditions change to cold pretty fast in the Sierras. It reminds me of Solo Girl's PCT hike when her tarp failed her in a sudden June sleet storm---See---

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...&entry_id=8688

GSMNP, Spruce Field shelter, morning of Mon Nov 3 '14, about 14" of snow. Beautiful day for hiking.

SpruceField.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HICKS View Post
    GSMNP, Spruce Field shelter, morning of Mon Nov 3 '14, about 14" of snow. Beautiful day for hiking.

SpruceField.jpg
    I was out during that storm but south of you and found some depths hit around 14-15 inches on the ridges and lower in other places. See---

My buddy Patman was also out in the Smokies during the storm and has some good pics to share---

Here is Patman during the Halloween snowstorm in the Smokies at Spence Field.

I might as well show his Bearpaw tarp camp in the snow with his NeoAir all season pad etc.

Go here to see his full trip report---

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/tri...cs/163504.html

Journal Entries

Y'all crazy! That looks cold! A little scared of the Roans this spring!

Pine Grove Furnace 11/29/14. I believe it got down to about 15*F that night. There are 8 tents/tarp tents/tarp and a hammock in this picture.

Pine Grove Furnace Tents 02.jpg
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

Images

cutlersnowtent.jpg

Camping off of Holmes Bay in Cutler, ME the weekend after this past Thanksgiving. It's an old Eureka Alpine Meadows tent. Heavy, but solid and roomy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Y'all crazy! That looks cold! A little scared of the Roans this spring!
    Be prepared, on 5-9-10 temp was 36* at Overmountain shelter. Winds were blowing in gusts that pushed me around a bit on the balds just past the shelter. Wearing every thing I had and my face was so cold it hurt. Two days before I was laying in shorts soaking up some sun with 66* on the fields near the old hotel site on Roan Mtn.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Pine Grove Furnace 11/29/14. I believe it got down to about 15*F that night. There are 8 tents/tarp tents/tarp and a hammock in this picture.

Pine Grove Furnace Tents 02.jpg
    Looks to be a great campsite and reminds me of one in Pisgah NF near Huntfish Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Be prepared, on 5-9-10 temp was 36* at Overmountain shelter. Winds were blowing in gusts that pushed me around a bit on the balds just past the shelter. Wearing every thing I had and my face was so cold it hurt. Two days before I was laying in shorts soaking up some sun with 66* on the fields near the old hotel site on Roan Mtn.
    I was not on Roan when you got your May cold snap but on April 29 about a week before I was in a 5,000 foot gap in the Nantahalas and got a surprise snow---

Awful late in the season for snow in the Southern Apps.

Default Marmot Limelight 3P December 27th 2014

This is my tent. Marmot Limelight 3P. I just tried it out in heavy winds and snow. Had no problems at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bushyeye View Post
    This is my tent. Marmot Limelight 3P. I just tried it out in heavy winds and snow. Had no problems at all.
    Nice tent...I have the 4p for car camping....way to heavy for me as a 1-2 person tent...I believe it's over 5 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++