WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Ohh you mean with clothes on,

I just love a hot steam and fresh snow, Rolls
    Most definitely with clothes on.

Images

Good thing someone with experience knew where to place camp.....

Looking down on 14K camp from 17K camp on Denali
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Or, as seen from a lower angle....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Good thing someone with experience knew where to place camp.....

Looking down on 14K camp from 17K camp on Denali
    Those are great pics. Denali always reminds me of the book Minus 148 Degrees by Art Davidson. His group got caught in a winter ascent hellstorm and spent many weeks suffering and 3 or 4 terrible days holed up in an ice cave with 3 guys near Archdeacon Tower. 100mph winds, hence the -148F number.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Those are great pics. Denali always reminds me of the book Minus 148 Degrees by Art Davidson. His group got caught in a winter ascent hellstorm and spent many weeks suffering and 3 or 4 terrible days holed up in an ice cave with 3 guys near Archdeacon Tower. 100mph winds, hence the -148F number.
    Yeah, I read it, fascinating book. "Freedom climbers" (I think that's the title) has lots of accounts of winter Himalayan climbs by the Polish climbing community, who have said that they think climbing 8000 meter peaks in the summer is for sissy's... OTOH, their survival rate for their winter 8000M ascents is running about 50%....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, I read it, fascinating book. "Freedom climbers" (I think that's the title) has lots of accounts of winter Himalayan climbs by the Polish climbing community, who have said that they think climbing 8000 meter peaks in the summer is for sissy's... OTOH, their survival rate for their winter 8000M ascents is running about 50%....
    I suppose most Polish climbers are animals but one comes to mind as being particularly tough. I heard him mentioned in passing once and I think it was Jerzy Kukuczka. Thanks for the Freedom Climbers link as it's something more to copy and read on my next trip.

I've taken out dozens of mountaineering books on my winter trips---Wickwire, Messner, Viesturs, Bonington, Touch the Void, Karkauer, Bonatti, Herzog, Boukreev, Weathers etc etc.

Despite what hell they go thru, I love reading about alpine cold snowy mishaps and deadly or near-death epics while I'm sitting in a tent at 0F in a blizzard in the mountains of NC and TN. No matter how tough I have it, it will NEVER BE AS TOUGH as what they are going thru or have gone thru.

Images

No matter how tough I have it, it will NEVER BE AS TOUGH as what they are going thru or have gone thru.
    Yep! agreed, nice to put it (out "suffering") in perspective.

Why put your tent in the snow, when you can just put it in the shelter?

Winter 2010

2011 near Mt Rogers

2009 From the summit of Mt Massive in CO - My tent is down there at the tree line. You are just going to have to trust me.

Ktaan---That looks like a Mt Hardwear tent, maybe a Light Wedge 2????

Light Wedge 2 but then again maybe not. This is Little Mitten's tent on Brookshire Creek trail, December 2005.

Good eye Tipi. It is a light wedge 3. Nice space for 2 people in the winter.

Ktaan---That looks like a Mt Hardwear tent, maybe a Light Wedge 2????

Light Wedge 2 but then again maybe not. This is Little Mitten's tent on Brookshire Creek trail, December 2005.
    "the wedge" also a classic battle bot design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Good eye Tipi. It is a light wedge 3. Nice space for 2 people in the winter.
    I gave my old Light Wedge to a newbie just starting out, a sort of charity case. The tent originally had Mt Hardwear 8.5-9mm poles with the crappy (I think) Atlas pole system and a pole snapped for no reason on a trip in August 2005 (see pic) and field repaired with sticks since I had no repair sleeve.

I replaced the 2 long wedge poles with 11mm dome tent poles, cut to size with a hacksaw and new shock cord ETC and it worked better than ever before.

Images

Double Spring in the Smokies this November. It was cold that night, but even colder the next.

Quote Originally Posted by virginia jen View Post
    Double Spring in the Smokies this November. It was cold that night, but even colder the next.
    You know it's cold in the shadows. Your pic reminds me of my Halloween trip when I was in camp and looked up into the morning sky after a long night of cold wind---

Just alittle dusting at Dawn last February near Carvers gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey tipi, I wish I could post your photo of me at the Partnership S. 4/23/12. Thanks for taking it.

Images

006.jpg014.jpg Well if we're down to posting shelter pics, here's Jerry's Cabin shelter on 1-21-10. With a fire going inside it was a toasty 38* inside. In the late 70s this had the dishonor of being called the most trashed shelter on the AT. The AT was on Duke Power lands and the USFS could not close the trail/road which it is on. Nothing like taking a break here while rednecks on dirt bike did wheelies as they went by. The trail was finally closed to motorized traffic in the late 80s and you can hardly tell it was a well used road. Now it gets trashed by hikers but I make monthly trips to help keep it a bit cleaner. That's how I got my trail name. Also the mice population is pretty much gone too.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Same Harriman trip. Overshot the group and ended up on West Mtn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Last MLK day weekend in Harriman park. There are three tarptents and a half dozen Whiteblazers hidden in this photo:
    Attachment 29225
    Me, my wife Kathy, and our dog Tora are in the tent to the right.
    It's a freestanding, 3 person, Sierra Designs tent.
    It was a beautiful morning to wake up to in the woods.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++