WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Tents in the snow

I figure since it's Winter Solstice we could add pics of our shelters in the snow, whether tents or hammocks or tarps or bivy sacks etc. No 44 foot long RVs please!

They could be on the Appalachian Trail or the CDT or PCT or BMT or MST or wherever else, just gotta have some snow in the pic. Maybe describe where you are and what the conditions were like. Here's a pic---

My old Mt Hardwear Muir Trail tent on Bob Mt in some cold temps. 2003. This was a 9 day trip and I spent 4 of them right here on the mountain in the storm.

Images

IMG_2563.jpg
    This is on the BMT through the Citico Wilderness. I honestly believe it got warmer (inside the tent) as the inches began to pile up overnight. Morning was a beautiful winter wonderland - which is why I do the bulk of my hiking during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Jack View Post
    This is on the BMT through the Citico Wilderness. I honestly believe it got warmer (inside the tent) as the inches began to pile up overnight. Morning was a beautiful winter wonderland - which is why I do the bulk of my hiking during the winter.
    Sorry, had to post your pic bigger because it looks neato. I remember this Halloween when it rained all night and then got cold and stopped. Wow, no more rain hitting the tent. Thing is, the rain turned to snow and I couldn't hear the pitter-patter of the stuff and by morning everything was covered. News to me.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last MLK day weekend in Harriman park. There are three tarptents and a half dozen Whiteblazers hidden in this photo:
    image.jpg

The thumbnail photo is a borrowed TNF tent off of the valley way trail on Mt. Madison.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

And Alpine Jack---Your pic reminds me of meeting my backpacking buddy Hootyhoo up on Bob Mt in January 2010 and he was camped I think in maybe the same place you are camping?? It's look similar and even the tent looks similar. This is his tent but my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Last MLK day weekend in Harriman park. There are three tarptents and a half dozen Whiteblazers hidden in this photo:
    image.jpg

The thumbnail photo is a borrowed TNF tent off of the valley way trail on Mt. Madison.
    Cool pics. The first one is neat with the snow actually falling. The NF looks like their Mountain tent, robust 4 season thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Jack View Post
    IMG_2563.jpg
    Snow is a great insulator, you ever fall butt first into a snow bank and just sit there for a bit, kinda warm, cradling...and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    image.jpg

too funny, I got up early and was ready for a quick getaway that morning. As my pack sits there and gets snowed on I think to myself.....I should be sleepin' right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Snow is a great insulator, you ever fall butt first into a snow bank and just sit there for a bit, kinda warm, cradling...and warm.
    There's that, and then there's the falling and the consequent unwillingness to get back up because it's a Hell Slog and so you seriously consider curling up in a ball in the snow by a tree and going to sleep, permanently. It's a hard nut to crack. Gotta get up and drat it keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There's that, and then there's the falling and the consequent unwillingness to get back up because it's a Hell Slog and so you seriously consider curling up in a ball in the snow by a tree and going to sleep, permanently. It's a hard nut to crack. Gotta get up and drat it keep moving.
    That is very true, many a stumble bums come outta the bar, can't find there car, wonder off to sit a bit, and just never wake up...happens all the time. Crazy way to go.

That is very true, many a stumble bums come outta the bar, can't find there car, wonder off to sit a bit, and just never wake up...happens all the time. Crazy way to go.
    In the winter o'coarse.

Reminds me of terrible news story I heard back in the 80's---a woman stumbled out of a Chicago bar drunk during a winter storm and walked to an alley. Passed out. She woke up later in a hospital with no legs or arms. This could be an urban legend, more study needed.

Reminds me of terrible news story I heard back in the 80's---a woman stumbled out of a Chicago bar drunk during a winter storm and walked to an alley. Passed out. She woke up later in a hospital with no legs or arms. This could be an urban legend, more study needed.
    I'm gonna guess that one just may be true, certainly very believable.

Journal Entries

When I was in college, drunk student came out of bar and crawled under someones car, was going to grab their leg when they came out to scare them. Proceeded to pass out. Was dragged a distance under car by unknowing driver. Lost one arm, and part of face.. Doenst have to be winter for alcohol to cause problems.

Crappy photo, but this was a couple of weeks ago up at the hangover.

loving this thread!

Tipi Walter.

you are in the exact spot. And I thought you would probably be quite familiar.

I am heading back up that way in a few days and hope to see some more snow.

Quote Originally Posted by harnasb View Post
    Tipi Walter.

you are in the exact spot. And I thought you would probably be quite familiar.

I am heading back up that way in a few days and hope to see some more snow.
    Very cool. I'll be up on the high ground between Bob Bald and the Hangover too and hope to see some snow, and hope to meet you.

Images

Here's one, taken in the Caucasus mountains of Russia...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++