WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vermont Trailhead RT 9?

Is there an area near where the trail cross Rt. 9 in Vermont for long term parking?

Twilight

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

There's a good-sized parking lot right there on Rte. 9 at the trail crossing. I've used it for an overnighter before without a problem.

Check here for reports: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/ There's something about vandalism from 2006, but the more recent comments are positive.

Images

We left a car at the Vt Rte. 9 lot for 4 nites on a recent (September) section hike with no problems.

Twilight, My wife and her family lives there in Bennington. Let me know when and I'm sure they (or me if I'm in from my job) can help with a parking spot or shuttle in/out town somewhere if you don't want to leave it at the trail head crossing.
    They're used to it with me!

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    Is there an area near where the trail cross Rt. 9 in Vermont for long term parking?

Twilight

Rolex, thanks for the offer, but I'm just doing some long range section hike planning right now. I really don't see me in that part of VT till 2016. Rolex, can you give me some details about the weather in that area around July or August? And what are the blackflies like around that time also?

Twilight

Images

Although September is maybe the best month to hike Vermont, you will find July and August to be just fine weather & bug wise. Of course, being Vermont you can always expect some rain, humidity and mud during the summer.

It is also peak thruhiker season and you will meet many amazing, like minded hikers. It might be a bit crowded at some shelters, but you will have plenty of alone time during the day.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I also live part time or have family in Bennington. Good to know someone else may sometimes offer shuttles. There are a few of us that are listed on the ATC Shuttle List that already knew each other. We get a lot of requests from section hikers that we can't always meet. So Rolex, if your family or anyone else ever wants to help out some other hikers if the others of us can't, it maybe useful. So glad there is a VT Transline Bus now, but a big request that we can't always fill is Williamstown/North Adams to Albany International.

Anyhow, related to this thread, it has been my experience that due to frequent traffic on Route 9, and patrols by local law enforcement, and the Green Mt. Express making it a per request stop, that it is a safe TH. It can get some litter as it is a larger paved lot with a privy, and draws lots of passers by due to being next to a footbridge across the Roaring Branch. It also gets people that like to camp by the river (horrible spot next to the trail and highway traffic) and build giant firerings and not dismantle them (petpeeve of mine).

Last fall I found a garbage bag dumped with car stereo speakers in them and just some weird, random stuff that made me wonder who pulls into that TH sometimes. I've never seen broken windshield glass. Due to the fact that the USFS is stretched, lots of local hikers help take care of the TH appearance when they can.

I've also suggested to some section hikers that are hesitant to leave their car at this TH to call a diner that is located a few miles West on Route 9 toward town to see if they can leave their car there for extended days. It has worked for at least one or 2 people. One section hiker dined there before I shuttled him to Manchester, then when picking up his vehicle after hiking or getting a ride back into town.

Also July and August in VT are just as humid as they can be in NJ. Bugs do what they want. Just bring your preferred bug deterrent. It won't be as bad as what you find in Sheffield, MA.

Its a nice spot, not far from Bennington, VT. I've hiked many summers in VT on the AT/LT and haven't heard of others having a problem here.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

++ New Posts ++