WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bus transportation

Planning a NOBO section hike NJ to somewhere in CT. What towns can I find bus transportation for my return home?

thanks,
    .com

Greyhound bus station locator

https://www.greyhound.com/en/locations/default.aspx

in New England there are other bus lines too like Peter Pan, so you can check others too.

If you don't find a suitable bus served exit point, there is train service over the border in NY on the Metro-North Harlem Line.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Unfortunately there are no public transportation options that would take you directly from the AT in Connecticut. I understand there may be one option that would involve a hitch or a road walk but there is nothing that intersects directly. So sorry!

Jane

There is a station about 7 miles west of Sailsbury in Canaan, CT. Another option is to go a few days farther north and hitch into Lee, MA. Your timing has to be good as the bus only goes through these places once a day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You can take a Peter Pan bus from Sheffield or Great Barrington, in southern Mass., back to nyc.

Delaware Water Gap has a Trailways.

CT doesn't have much if any. You may have to either use a shuttle, or hike to Great Barrington, Ma where they have Peter Pan.

When you get up into Mass and VT they have the best local/cheap public transportation.

Wingdale Metro North is close to where the trail crosses from NY to CT. I've also done the peter pan bus to Canaan w/ a cab to pick me up for the ride to the trail near Salisbury. That same bus parallels the AT and also stops in Sheffield, Great Barrington and Pittsfield (near Dalton).

thanks, all, this helps a lot. i have a friend who will meet me wherever, just gotta find my end point now.

.com

Images

Consider walking into Great Barrington and you can take a bus into Port Authority... I've done it twice, both ways. Into Great Barrington and from. I got sick both times. What can I say buses make me queasy. Oh, and Port Authority Terminal was more of an adventure than anything you'll find on the AT. After a week and a half hike I was not the smelliest person there. You could do Greenwood Lake NY to Great Barrington MA. Easy transportation from either point.

"Oh, and Port Authority Terminal was more of an adventure than anything you'll find on the AT. After a week and a half hike I was not the smelliest person there. You could do Greenwood Lake NY to Great Barrington MA. Easy transportation from either point."

Yup, on all accounts especially the scene at the Port Authority. Ahhh, I love NY. I Love NY. Popping into/out of Manhattan on the way to/back from a hike is a journey in itself.

So how do you get from Baxter to Bangor? Bangor to D.C. is a long but easy bus ride. the bus is a flat rate no matter when you buy a ticket. The plane and train takes several weeks of lead time to get a good price.

Baxter to Bangor has been covered many times. There are no public busses. The AT lodge in Millinocket does shuttles or its an easy hitch most of the time from Baxter to the Medway Exit of I95 where there daily bus service south via Cyr bus lines Cyr has deals with other bus firms like Greyhound, so you may see Greyhound listing a bus from Medway but its a code share. There is generally quite line up of somewhat subdued thru hikers heading south back to the "real world" at the gas station where the bus stops. The reason the hitch from the park to Medway is fairly easy is that 95% of the visitors to the park are heading that way and 90% of them are hikers that would like to give you a ride so they can ask about the experience. The majority of the driver leaving the park are heading south towards Portland so if you are lucky you may be able to get a ride to Portland or farther south in heck lot quicker fashion than the bus. Whenever I head up there, I look for AT thruhikers hitching and it rare to see them as they get picked up quickly.

One note, if you are considering flying from Bangor, check the prices out in Portland, there are quite few more airlines with a lot more destination. The same bus that take you to Bangor connects up with buses that head to Portland. There is also an Amtrak station in Portland and Brunswick.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So how do you get from Baxter to Bangor? Bangor to D.C. is a long but easy bus ride. the bus is a flat rate no matter when you buy a ticket. The plane and train takes several weeks of lead time to get a good price.
    That is not true. You save a significant amount of money if you buy a bus ticket a) on line and b) a couple of weeks ahead. Buying a ticket at the window the day you want to travel is the most expensive way to go. For train or plane, buy at least 4 weeks ahead for the best price.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This question can be easily Googled.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    This question can be easily Googled.
    That's the spirit! Now, get off my lawn!

++ New Posts ++