WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Spice to make it nice....

When cooking from my hammock I like to make my meals flavorful.....
    ...so I ask??? other than salt and pepper what other (two) 2 spices do YOU carry and use to livin' up your meals on the trail....

I like garlic in some dishes.....others I like a little red pepper....

are there some combo seasoning packs that may work well ?????

please opine...............
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Tobasco.....

I use the packaged stuff to "spice" the basic ingredients.

I start with a basic ingredient. I lift the lid on the cookware, I add a little pile of the packaged stuff in the middle of the basic ingredient when it is nearing cooked.

I very seldom just eat a packaged meal, or, a packaged entree. In fact, I only really like Mountain House ProPak Lasagna. For me, packaged meals and packaged entrees are too spicy, so I use them to "spice" up a basic ingredient like rice, or, couscous, or, grits.

It depends on if I plan on catching and cooking any fish on the trip. Usually something hot (red pepper flakes), lemon pepper (great on fish), and Dillo Dust (Sugar, Salt, Paprika, Chili peper, Celery, Garlic, Comino) which is great on chicken and pork (or any meat really).

Images

Not necessarily in the spices category but, I do like to bring along dehydrated veggies to add to most evening meals. Costco sells a couple of bags with a variety of veggies from squash, onions and mushrooms to green beans, peas and carrots. In the spice category, my wife has a large 60 ounce container of mixed spices that are supposed to act as a salt alternative. I usually put some of this in a snack size zip lock bag and add to potatoes, stuffing and pasta sides.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Emeril's Essence would be good. I also try to find little packs of hot sauce.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

salt, black pepper, red pepper, dried onion and garlic mix, marjaram thyme etc. mix, curry mix, dried veggies sound real good.
    Tabasco has too much water in it and is in a glass bottle, too much wt. use the dried equivalent.
    My local grocery has little 1oz spice containers.

You might buy an 8 oz pack of frozen veggies and use it up in the first couple of days out of town, more successful in colder weather. Once opened use it in hot weather.

Journal Entries

Cavenders is good on everything, except eggs.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You might buy an 8 oz pack of frozen veggies and use it up in the first couple of days out of town, more successful in colder weather. Once opened use it in hot weather.
    I don't think so, for frozen veggies.

It is surprisingly warm inside or outside a backpack in sunshine, even in winter.

I have backpacked a frozen steak, once. I wrapped it carefully. I did that, in Summer.

The steak is solid and thick. That helped.

Tabasco
    Crushed red pepper
    Garlic Salt
    Cinnamon "especially on my Zip-Lock Omelets"
    And some JACK DANIELS.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    It depends on if I plan on catching and cooking any fish on the trip. Usually something hot (red pepper flakes), lemon pepper (great on fish), and Dillo Dust (Sugar, Salt, Paprika, Chili peper, Celery, Garlic, Comino) which is great on chicken and pork (or any meat really).
    Now that Dilo Dust sounds like something I need to buy and try.

I use Habash seasoning, made from the seeds of the Sumack tree. Seasoning of India....good stuff

Tabasco.....always carry a couple of 1/8 fl. ounce bottles. Can be purchased in a "six-pack" at Bed, Bath & Beyond stores.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Now that Dilo Dust sounds like something I need to buy and try.
    Unfortunately, you can't buy it. It only comes when you purchase a firearm accessory from LaRue Tactical. Although there's threads hundreds of pages long on sites like AR15.com on how to make your own version of it (I still have a big bottle left so I haven't embarked on trying to duplicate the recipe).

Images

Try saffron or turmeric both taste good and are good for you

Journal Entries

Not so much spices but condiment packets made all the difference on the trail.

curry for me.

Images

Garlic, fresh onion ( say vidalia ), some sort of hot ( sriracha ), ginger, olive or coconut oil.

Images

Mrs Dash & Texas Pete.

Don't limit yourself to dried spices for flavor. Consider widely available fresh herbs like basil(two nights only), cilantro, parsley, rosemary, sage, etc and fresh garlic, ginger, green onions, peppers, etc. Heck, I've gone into Wally World and resupplied with three mini bell peppers(red, yellow, orange) for $.99., Jalapeno, Thai, Serrano and Habanero peppers. This way I'm getting not only added flavor but also greater variety and with the increased benefits of whole foods(food not highly processed). MANY spice mixes, which I too have added to trail foods, are largely flavored over priced salt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++