WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What's your favorite pack?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting a new pack, and was wondering if anybody had any shout outs for there favorite pack brand and size? I know this differs for each person, but out of curiosity, I would like to see what the major consensus is...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

An REI UL65 CRUISE. Unfortunately, it's no longer available. Mine has seen a lot of use and is starting to show some serious wear. I really need to replace it but haven't found anything that strikes my fancy yet.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It depends on the trip.

For a few days in decent weather i like my Granite Gear Cornice (40L) ski pack.
    For heavy loads (winter, group leading, serious photography) my Dana Terraplane
    For going old school, my Mountain Master external frame pack, now used mostly by my son

None are made anymore or are ideal for a through hike.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

ULA Catalyst for me.

MLD Prophet

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by red2015 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting a new pack, and was wondering if anybody had any shout outs for there favorite pack brand and size? I know this differs for each person, but out of curiosity, I would like to see what the major consensus is...

54,436 members ... almost that many opinions. Osprey Atmos 65 for me
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've considered the REI Flash 62 to be the most bang for the buck/weight. The medium size is listed as 62L and 2lbs 14oz. Full retail is ~$190, but I simply waited until REI had one of their 20% on REI gear sales and picked one up for ~$170.

The overall design of the REI Flash 62 is ok. I've found dealing with the top compartment that flops and cinches down over the main compartment to be a little odd, but otherwise ok.

One of the YouTube videos discussed here on WB featured a hiker that used the REI Flash for hiking the JMT.

Another pack that IMHO is in a similar "most bang for the buck/weight" might be the Osprey Exos 58. It's a little smaller than the REI flash, but has more space for the weight of the pack. A large Flash62 is 65L @ 3lbs. A Large Exos58 is 61L @ 2.5lbs.

Ask 10 backpackers what their favorite pack is...you will have 17 different answers. ULA Ohm 2.0 and zpacks zero for me.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Journal Entries

Default Me too!

I use the 65 to!
    Hike On!!!
    Miller!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    54,436 members ... almost that many opinions. Osprey Atmos 65 for me

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    I use the 65 to!
    Hike On!!!
    Miller!!!
    Taking it out tomorrow to Raccoon Creek SP on a quick overnight before the highs drop below freezing here in SW PA.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

You didn't say what type of use you had in mind for this new pack. Are you a day hiker, overnight hiker, section hiker, more than five day hiker? Your use will define the "Best Pack". I have several packs for example, depending on what activity and season of the year I am headed into.

The "Best Pack" debate is best answered by you and the pack that fits you best. I am a pretty big fan of Osprey, but my hiking buddy has a different body frame and finds those packs don't work well for him. Some things you should consider:

What is the weight of your gear (collective weight of all the items that you put in your current pack)? What is the volume size of your gear? How much food do you normally take with you? What kind of stove do you use if any? Does all this fit well into your current pack? How do you carry water and how much do you normally carry with you? Do you need a hydration bladder compartment or side pockets for water? That will give you an idea of size and minimum specifications to start looking at.

Do you like an external or internal frame for the pack or do you prefer a lighter pack that does not have much in terms of independent support? Do you prefer the pack to be tight against your body or do you prefer having webbing that allows airflow on your back?

If these aren't well known, you may be best off going to a good retailer (REI or EMS for instance) and getting sized for a pack and try on a few different types and brands to get a feel for them.

My favorite pack is the pack I have.

It never changes. I always like the pack I have.

This time, I have a 40-liter Timbuk2 Tres Especial 2014 for anticipated steady rain.

ULA Circuit
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I like my Circuit too.

Images

ULA Ohm 2. Perfect size for me, very comfortable. If you need larger, the Circuit or Catalyst have great reputations. I've been using ULA packs for many years now, still use my original P2 when I need a larger pack.

Also have a CDT which is discontinued now, and a bit too small for me for multi-day overnights. Great for one night or a large day pack.

Journal Entries

I liked my golite dawn the best. I usually hate my packs tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider Pack.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 12-29-2014 at 11:50.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I have two the first is a "Mountain Hardwear Dirrettsima 46" i bought it in 2011 and used it on my 2012 AT thru-hike and loved it it felt like i was carrying a pillow and i still use it today it's still just as comfortable as it was the day i bought it.

the second is a "Gossemer Gear Mariposa, large" i just got this one this past summer and used it several times and i love it too for a UL pack it holds weight a lot better than i thought it would.

Another Circuit here.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++