WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lighter down jacket

My current LL Bean down jacket weighs 1 1/2 lbs + . Great for winter around town,walks in the park etc. But it's too much for a May 1 start at Harpers Ferry. I'ld appreciate your opinion for a jacket under 1 lb. Budget considerations please.

Montpellier ul down parka.....very light & warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn spell correct...montbell

Just got one of these for Xmas, price for the weight seemed pretty good.
    http://www.amazon.com/MontBell-UL-Do...HT+DOWN+JACKET

Images

With a budget in mind I'd check out Borah Gear for a jacket or vest.

Borah Gear has pulled down their PayPal buttons. Trip to Nepal this Jan - March.

Images

I agree about the Montbell. I have the UL version without a hood. Not the cheapest but it should last a long time. I think that needs to be accounted for when considering "cost". My wife has a Golite down jacket bought at the same time, about 3 years ago, my Montbell has held up much better and has been used much more. Search around. Consider used. Montbell usually has a clearance closet. Don't be picky about color.

Could you give a price range you would be willing to spend? Most online retailers have occasional 20% off that can sweeten the deal on a 200$ jacket.

Images

The Montbell UL Down Inner is lightweight and warm. It's plenty for a May 1 start at Harper's Ferry, and can be your only warm layer all the way to Maine. My wife wore hers on the Long Trail this summer as her only warm layer, and it was perfect around camp in the morning and as a pillow at night. It doesn't weigh much more than a light fleece zip tee, but is much warmer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Love the hood on my ul down parka...lots of xtra warmth..

Default Montbell UL Down Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Love the hood on my ul down parka...lots of xtra warmth...

I've seen a few persons recommend the Montbell UL Down without a hood, is there any reason that's been the preference. On Amazon there's one with a hood (the one quoted above) that's not too far off price wise and it seems like having a hood would be helpful. I've not hiked enough to know, just lived in NYC and appreciated having a hood on me when I want to put it up/down. Any reason for the no-hood leaning? Or just coincidence. Would this jacket with a rain shell, thermal mid-layer, and undershirt be enough for most cold temps on the AT even for a March start? I'm slowing buying gear and thought I may invest in a winter coat and the cost on this one looks much better than others I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by plherrin View Post
    I've seen a few persons recommend the Montbell UL Down without a hood, is there any reason that's been the preference. On Amazon there's one with a hood (the one quoted above) that's not too far off price wise and it seems like having a hood would be helpful. I've not hiked enough to know, just lived in NYC and appreciated having a hood on me when I want to put it up/down. Any reason for the no-hood leaning? Or just coincidence. Would this jacket with a rain shell, thermal mid-layer, and undershirt be enough for most cold temps on the AT even for a March start? I'm slowing buying gear and thought I may invest in a winter coat and the cost on this one looks much better than others I've seen.
    I've only hiked on southern AT..I've used the ul down parka w cap 4 and thin OR helium rain shell plenty warm for me...lowest I've been is near 10 degrees. I only use at camp or sleeping...I like the way it fits with athletic cut not to baggy...

I've used the LL Bean Primaloft Packaway Jacket for a couple of years. Not down but very light, warm, packable, weather resistant, not sure about the weight but web site says 60 grams. I've used it as an outer layer in temps in the high 20's. Nice with a shell. Some colors are on sale for $79. Free shipping with Bean charge card. I also use the LL Bean Ultra light 850 Down Jacket. Very light, well made, last years model on sell. The cut for both jackets is active/slim but I wear an XLG with room to move. Both are nice go to jackets for back country travel. I also looked at the Montbell UL Down Jacket at Amazon as mentioned above. Seems like a very nice well made jacket 800 fill instead of 850. For my money I'd purchase the Primaloft if the main goal is to have a warm durable jacket for back packing.

Another option is the Rab Xenon X synthetic parka. Weighs in at 13.1 oz, packs up smalll in it's own pocket and the review below claimed it warmer than a similar down jacket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulz1Masi7U

Quote Originally Posted by Thinspace View Post
    Another option is the Rab Xenon X synthetic parka. Weighs in at 13.1 oz, packs up smalll in it's own pocket and the review below claimed it warmer than a similar down jacket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulz1Masi7U

And you can find it on sale for around $150 with free shipping if you look around

Eddie Bauer First Ascent jackets are a great value if you catch 'em on sale

My Montbell Extremely UL down jacket has been going strong since 2008 and has been on both the PCT and AT. It's still almost like new and it's hard to beat the weight. Expensive down items like this are best shopped for 6 months or more in advance as you can eventually find them on a good sale or clearance.

Another vote for the Montbell UL down. I have the parka. The small weight penalty for the hood is worthwhile. I use this piece in camp and during breaks and sometimes as part of my sleep system. I've never had to wash it since I never wear it while hiking. After two years it is as good as new.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

No one is saying it but I will. IMO, a down jacket will very likely see very limited use with that May 1 start date in HF particularly going forward into the late spring(late May) and into summer NOBO on the AT. It will very likely become a very limited usage piece in a very limited time frame. I simply can't see you employing a down or synthetic jacket frequently enough to justify purchasing one based on your hike for the beginning of the hike especially when a lower budget is a strong consideration and other more versatile multi layering options, quite possibly less expensive overall, are available.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/har...nyr=5/01/2014#

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I second the Montbell UL Down Inner . My acid test for best gear is to watch the used sales listings. This item is "never" sold used and asking price is near retail when it is.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++