WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: silnylon tarp

Default silnylon tarp

I'm thinking about a light tarp to give me a quick shelter while I pitch my tent during rain. Or just an extra layer to shed rain or --ugh!-- snow. Does anybody know a source? Thanks!

Got one of these for Xmas, shipping was quick and price was good:
    http://www.shop.backpackingadventure...-8x10-tarp.htm

Images

http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/tarps

they are 15% off through the end of the year.

Images

I agree with you. It is nice to be able to pitch the tent out of the weather and to have a place to cook out of the wind and to just sit out of the rain. I tried a poncho and It just was not enough. I use a granite gear and with string and stakes it is right at 16oz.

I'm selling two tarps by MLD that I used during my thru this year. Both got me through some pretty horrible weather, including the freak Halloween snowstorm in the mountains of Tennessee. A Duomid and a Trailstar, two of the best tarps out there. Pm if interested, or check out the for sale section.

Liver
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

I will be selling my used Campmor (Equinox) 8X10 silnylon tarp in the coming weeks - can't list it right now because we are preparing to move. I hand sewn some tie outs to support some bug netting. Crappy sewing job, so I'll probably sell it cheaply. My point? Consider buying a used silnylon tarp. You should be able to get a good deal.

I too am considering an extra tarp for comfort.
    Seems that as my pack weight goes down I add something to it.

I have even considered adding a hummingbird or Nano7 hammock for a mid day rest.

But once I do that I might as well ditch the tent.

I may have mis-used the word 'tarp'. I'm thinking of just a temp rain-deflector or snow-deflector to give be working room while I pitch my tent. It might be handy if a bad storm hits us between campsites. Just a thought. And thanks for your help!

Try a sheet of 3mil plastic sheeting, available at Walmart or Home Depot for under $10. Usually found in the painting section. Pretty lightweight and all you have to do is bunch a pebble in the corners and tie a rope around it. Then rig a ridge line, tie down the corners and you are done!

See pics and instructions here. The "classic pup tent" is the easiest, you don't have to do anything except cut the plastic to the size rectangle you want and tie ropes to the corners using the pebble method.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...tic_tarps.html

I needed 6-mil plastic to hold up to the wind. Quite Heavy.

That lightweight plastic is helpful to make up a tarp to see whether or not you like the overall size and shape of the tarp design before purchasing a silnylon tarp, for example: It could be used as a pattern, or, before placing an order for a tarp.

Strong tape and cordage may be used to set up the lightweight plastic film tarp. It isn't permanent.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-10-2015 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by rock steady View Post
    I may have mis-used the word 'tarp'. I'm thinking of just a temp rain-deflector or snow-deflector to give be working room while I pitch my tent. It might be handy if a bad storm hits us between campsites. Just a thought. And thanks for your help!
    I'm curious what you're imagining will deflect the wind and rain other than a tarp? A force field?

If you have a free standing tent with rain fly, put the fly up first and just carry a cheap Walmart emergency poncho. That way if it gets damaged you can pick up another. I think they are a couple or three bucks.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Default Tyvek?

I'm going to do a couple experiments in the back yard with some "tyvek" type of material. I want to test a couple ways of making grommet type holes, with out the brass or plastic rings. This thing does not need to be water proof, just shed the most of a heavy downpour, while I put up/take down my tent. The key test is will be can it take the wind and the downpour without catastrophic failure. I don't normally carry a ground cover, although there have been occasions it would have been nice, so in theory it could be dual use gear.

Anyone have any success stories doing what I'm looking to do? Specifically, method of sturdy hole making in tyvek.

Default silnylon tarp

Tyvek is not particularly rugged material. Without reinforcements any tie-out points you make in it are going to rip out. Might be able to sew several layers of tyvek together at the tie-out points but I still don't think it's going to last very long. Good luck.

++ New Posts ++