WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Marmot Mica rainjacket FAIL

I bought a Marmot Mica jacket in summer 2013 with the intention of using it on my at thru starting March this year. I used it in the rain only once (maybe twice?) in 2013 & then put it in the closet.

While I've been sorting all my clothing/gear out these past weeks, I noticed the sleeve didn't repel water like it did when I bought it, so I put on a long sleeve cotton shirt and the Mica, turned around in the shower for a few minutes, then checked the cotton shirt. It was soaked on the shoulders, a big spot on the chest, and the sleeve on the right arm was soaking from the elbow down. Does the fabric/coating on these jackets really wear out over such a short period of time, even if you don't use them?

I'm asking because I'm very hesitant to buy another $150 jacket that will only last a year & a half (or less). I'm also asking b/c I'm thinking of contacting Marmot for a replacement, but they won't replace things if there's "normal wear & tear." Is this "normal wear and tear?"

I tried the same shower test with a $20 driducks suit that just arrived in the mail and I was still completely dry head to toe after 10 min, so that's what's coming with me at least for the first part of the trip ... since I can't afford many more large purchases at this point.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I've used my Marmot Precip almost 3 years and it works as good as new. Contact Marmot for a warranty replacement, see what they say. I looked into the Mica, but decided on the Precip, and would do it again. For a few more ounces you save a lot of dollars. Sierra Trading Post has great deals on them.

Before you give up on the jacket try treating it with McNett's ReviveX product: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My OR Helium II rain jacket lost its DWR almost entirely earlier this year and applying McNett's did help a little, at least for a while.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

A leaking rain jacket that has seen no significant use is a defective product and I would immediately contact Marmot customer service for a warrenty return and replacement. I would not try to fix it, nor do anything that would allow Marmot to deny the claim. My personal preference would be to contact CS by phone to start the process. Be very polite, but be firm and insistent that you will accept nothing less that a determination that the product is defective and must be replaced.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Thanks guys, so "not normal," good.

I tried to register a complaint/replacement request through the Marmot "contact us" page & also left a phone message for them. Will let ya'll know how it turns out.

If you can get the warranty return, take it.

DWR retreatment has better success on non-laminate fabrics, in my experience. DWR works well on laminates the first time, if done right. Otherwise, treat or retreat non-laminate fabrics. That is my experience.

I like DWR I treat myself on ordinary "golf jackets".

It isn't easy to do better than a Driducks or O2 jacket for rain gear.

I don't know if you saw the thread earlier this winter where I asked about the different trade names for laminate fabrics. I read all the "technical articles" cited. I did the math, for the "specifications".

Most home shower water pressure, unless you have a "water saver" is more rain water pressure than a deluge, or, whatever rain described. The best test is what you did: set the shower at the kind of rain you experience and see how well that "raingear" performs. Does the exterior fabric wet-out? Are you dry? Abd so forth.

Most "rain gear" is a rip-off.

Yeah, definitely go the warranty route if you can. Applying McNett's was an improvement for me but not a cure. But my jacket had seen significant use at the time I decided to apply McNett's as a solution.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I'm on my fourth Marmot Mica rain jacket EXTENSIVELY using each. None lost water proofness as quick as you state based on your once or twice use. All used the Marmot Strata Membrane. Can you better define your once or twice use like for weekend hikes, thru-hikes, etc?

I've never paid the amount that you have of $150. I bought my first one for $90 from Dicks Sporting Goods(pretty good IMO considering the Marmot Precip was $10 more than that, ???). One from Backcountry for about the same price(previous yr's model on a closeout). I had two replaced by Marmot through warranty without much hassle in a VERY cordial professional communication. Marmot Customer Service has been very good to me!

First, the Marmot Mica is a UL rain jacket - a true rain jacket. As such, the low wt of 7 oz comes with some trade offs. You should expect and know that going in BEFORE purchase. Even though it is an UL piece, based solely on the very limited amount you're sharing, I would definitely say something isn't right.

My only major issues with the Marmot Mica Rain Jacket (not Super Mica!) have been a delamination of the interior membrane. I think that happened once because the jacket was defective. It happened almost immediately with very little use with me babying the jacket and adhering to Marmot's Customer Care recommendations. It happened one additional time because, I believe, the interior came in contact with Natural insect repellant containing essential oils and quite possibly was affected by heavy body oil build up and me jamming it up tightly into a ball wedging it into my backpack(I now loosely roll all my rain wear when placing into a pack). That was NOT Marmot's fault.

AFTER MUCH USE, I did reapply a DWR using the spray on McNetts Revivex DWRer just as Coffee linked to once on one of my Marmot Micas when I VERY FIRST noticed the DWR starting to become questionable - similar to what you're describing - BUT, AGAIN, ONLY AFTER MUCH USE. Came out like new as far as water proofness. That re DWRed Marmot Mica I got a combined 5000 trail/off trail miles of use employing it as a rain jacket often on some rather high precipitation thru-hikes, wind jacket, and worn as a pseudo VBL jacket or warmth as part of a sleep system. ie; it got a lot of use in those 5000 miles! Got to be careful going off trail like into brambles or above treeline or into highly abrasive environments with these UL jackets though. I put a few pin head sized holes in two of my Marmot Micas that I had to self repair as a result. These jackets are not generally intended for that unless you are prepared to expend extra TLC.

One of the things I notice about the FroggToggs Driducks are different versions in different places. Heck, sometimes on the same shelf in the same store, like those big box sporting good stores, Wally Worlds, etc, I've noticed some variability in versions. This happens with a great many pieces with long runs so isn't something unique to Frogg Toggs. Also, since I assume gear wt is a concern for you since you did get yourself into the UL Marmot Mica, bring a precision small digital scale with you when buying the DriDucks. I've noticed a few times(on three separate FroggTogg DriDucks scale weighing occasions) more than a 15% wt discrepancy with supposedly the same yr's version, model, and size. ???

Marmot has taken care of me in the past with my PreCip jacket that is now 12 years or so old. I still use it to this day -only good things to say about their customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It happened one additional time because, I believe, the interior came in contact with Natural insect repellant containing essential oils and quite possibly was affected by heavy body oil build up and me jamming it up tightly into a ball wedging it into my backpack(I now loosely roll all my rain wear when placing into a pack). That was NOT Marmot's fault.
    I wonder whether I'm harming the DWR on my Helium II by packing it into its pocket. I do that and then keep it in the front pocket of my Circuit when not in use. Maybe I should avoid packing it that way.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Marmot will probably remedy the issue, but the Mica has a history of delamination problems. I'd hate to have a failure mid trail. It may not be the problem now, but I just wouldn't trust it with our east coast weather.

Coffee, I wouldn't worry about the Helium. I own one, and like any pertex jacket, refreshing the DWR is just standard operating procedure. I also pack my Helium II in it's own pocket, even if it disturbs the DWR a little it's not like it's not a super easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Marmot will probably remedy the issue, but the Mica has a history of delamination problems. I'd hate to have a failure mid trail. It may not be the problem now, but I just wouldn't trust it with our east coast weather.

Coffee, I wouldn't worry about the Helium. I own one, and like any pertex jacket, refreshing the DWR is just standard operating procedure. I also pack my Helium II in it's own pocket, even if it disturbs the DWR a little it's not like it's not a super easy fix.

I take into account the Marmot Membrane Strata of the Mica is a 2.5 L. AGAIN, in all fairness to Marmot, one of my delam issues was definitely because of the user - ME! It's my absolute assertion that Mica delam issues hyped on by others is also at least in part due to users not fully apprising themselves of what they are purchasing and how to use it most properly to avoid issues like I had. I've had NO FURTHER delam issues with the Marmot Mica since I I I I I made some adjustments. It's still a very light wt piece though and that should be noted prior to purchasing.

I thought OGL nailed it perfectly in describing the OR Helium II in their review.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-J...earch-Helium-2

I had to return my Mica to the factory when it delaminated. They sent me a Minimalist to replace it.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I've had the exact same problems with the Marmot Mica. Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Images

The Marmot "Minimalist" is a much better jacket. Gore-Tex and Paclite.
    Costs a little more, but worth it.

Okay, just reporting on the result for posterity.

I used the Marmot webpage to email them about the issue. After a day or two of waiting, I called to speed up the process. Super nice woman on the phone told me to send it in for a "water test" -- she explained they blast water through it to see where the issue is & if it can be repaired. She did say the dwr coating would wear out on its own after a couple years even without any use.

I sent the jacket in & about a week or so later, got confirmation that they'd received it. Later that day, I got an email saying the jacket couldn't be repaired & they offered me a credit for the cost of the jacket. I had to call the warranty department to redeem the credit & tried to order another jacket, but they advised me to wait a couple weeks for the new models to come out, cool they gave me that info

So very very happy with the customer service, but am unlikely to get another super lightweight jacket with a dwr coating. I doubt it would survive an AT thru, I''m careful with my gear but not precious with it. Most likely I'll stick with my driducks or try a 6oz sinylon lightheartgear rainjacket. I just got a rain wrap from them & totally love it.

++ New Posts ++