Default North fl section recommendations?

New to FT... Live in Atlantic beach looking for 30-40 mile weekend section recommendations...been hiking AT for years just never thought much about hiking in Fla..no road walks or crowds... Usually hike 15-20 mpd on southern AT....usually hike with my jack Russell and my 8 yr old son just started joint on the AT...thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only hiked par of section 7 and can only give recommendations for section 7 from Scott road to Hwy 20. Not as long as you were requesting(17 miles from TH to TH) but a nice walk. You will even get to see a waterfall. I understand it is officially classified as a waterfall, don’t know who or what agency does that. Again you may want to try the Torreya Challenge and Torreya Trail as a side trip at Torreya State Park. The Garden of Eden Trail (short) is a short distance from Torreya but will give you something different in a hike and a nice view of the Apalachicola River from a bluff. http://alltrails.com/trail/us/florid...l-20-trailhead

Thx lil far from Jax....looking for -2 hr drive ie Ocala...thx

aka Kudzu
    Images

It's going to be hard to find those distances that don't involve road walking. Unlike the AT, the Florida Trail crosses a mixture of State, Federal, private, and FTA land.

Nearer to Jax, the Etoniah and Suwannee sections are very nice. You could do the mileage you're talking in Ocala. The hike between Alexander and Salt Springs is pretty nice.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    It's going to be hard to find those distances that don't involve road walking. Unlike the AT, the Florida Trail crosses a mixture of State, Federal, private, and FTA land.

Nearer to Jax, the Etoniah and Suwannee sections are very nice. You could do the mileage you're talking in Ocala. The hike between Alexander and Salt Springs is pretty nice.
    Thx...I believe we met at the BCO pint night last year...I'd appreciate any Info on the Suwannee section. You have a son at SPE? Thx again
    Richard

Images

My favorite section of trail is White Springs to Suwannee River State Park, its a 47 mile uniterrupted footpath hike along the Suwannee River with some of the most beautiful of Florida woods. You always have water because of the river and there is a river camp also called Holton Creek that is free with campsites, screened rooms and bathroom only accessible by river or on the FT. This section is very diverse with ravines and small hills, creek crossings. and one section you need to hold a cable to climb uphill if going east to west. Also, there is shuttle services in the area with canoe outpost or suwannee river music park both have shuttles services. I usually use canoe outpost when hiking. Also White Springs is about 2 hours from Jacksonville. Another great hike is the Big Shoals Hike to the class 3 rapids of the Suwannee River near White Springs and the The Big Oak Trail based out of Suwannee River State Park.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    My favorite section of trail is White Springs to Suwannee River State Park, its a 47 mile uniterrupted footpath hike along the Suwannee River with some of the most beautiful of Florida woods. You always have water because of the river and there is a river camp also called Holton Creek that is free with campsites, screened rooms and bathroom only accessible by river or on the FT. This section is very diverse with ravines and small hills, creek crossings. and one section you need to hold a cable to climb uphill if going east to west. Also, there is shuttle services in the area with canoe outpost or suwannee river music park both have shuttles services. I usually use canoe outpost when hiking. Also White Springs is about 2 hours from Jacksonville. Another great hike is the Big Shoals Hike to the class 3 rapids of the Suwannee River near White Springs and the The Big Oak Trail based out of Suwannee River State Park.
    Thx.. think I'll give that one a shot in a week or two...I've used American canoe outfitters in white springs...good guy...is this section blazed well...going to get the guthook map of this section...thx again..which end recc starting at...

Ocala has some good sections connecting springs. I've lived in florida 27 years my advice is buy a kayak or a sup. I have paddled most rivers in florida if you want any padding advice PM me. My hiking experience in florida has been pretty dull. We do however have some of best spring fed crystal clear rivers you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    Ocala has some good sections connecting springs. I've lived in florida 27 years my advice is buy a kayak or a sup. I have paddled most rivers in florida if you want any padding advice PM me. My hiking experience in florida has been pretty dull. We do however have some of best spring fed crystal clear rivers you can find.
    Yep...I thru paddled the 312 mile St. John's a few year back on my sup....lake blue Cypress to mayport.... Kind of how I've felt about hiking here....rather make that 7/8 five north to the AT but getting harder w kids school sports etc....I've heard the section of the ft was good along the Suwannee ....want to thru paddle that also..

It gets so big below the swannee river music park I wouldn't suggest it. I saw 3 people in 5 days from Fargo GA to there though. The Santa fe river Is beautiful hundreds of springs within a 7 mile stretch. All the ocala runs are great especially juniper. My favorite spring is chazawiska near brooksville. It has small caves you can swim through and it's only 7 miles from the gulf. The northern part of the peace river is beautiful also and largely undeveloped. If you ever wanna see hundreds and hundreds of huge gators go to myakka state park and paddle south to border road.

It gets so big below the swannee river music park I wouldn't suggest it. I saw 3 people in 5 days from Fargo GA to there though. The Santa fe river Is beautiful hundreds of springs within a 7 mile stretch. All the ocala runs are great especially juniper. My favorite spring is chazawiska near brooksville. It has small caves you can swim through and it's only 7 miles from the gulf. The northern part of the peace river is beautiful also and largely undeveloped. If you ever wanna see hundreds and hundreds of huge gators go to myakka state park and paddle south to border road.
    Suwannee isn't nearly as large as St. John's..saw well over 1,000 gators....gators don't bother me.....as long as on the board...I've canoed much of the Suwannee already

You ever paddle Everglades wilderness waterway? Been on my list for a while...

Yeah its been a while. It's the right time of year for that. It's confusing down there be careful.

Images

I have paddled the majority of the Suwannee and usually just sleep on the beaches gators are not much of a presence. I never hesitate to swim in the Suwannee. There are not many grasses on the Suwannee so not many shore birds abound not great feeding area for gators. There are more on the Sante Fe. I have kayaked the entire Sante Fe River also lots of birds but gators still not a problem. The section south of Suwannee River State Park has alot of springs that you can explore and or swim in. It is one of my groups favorites. http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Trekke...nts/211896872/ this has alot of info it is one of our future paddles but it will give you info about the area.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

++ New Posts ++