WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Waterproof boots or not for long distance hiking?

OK, no such thing as waterproof. I'm talking about the Goretex type of water resistant boot. What is the general thought of using 'waterproof' boots on the trail? The Goretex keeps the water out for a while, but I also understand that it then slows down drying, which can play havoc with your feet. The bottom line is, your feet are going to get wet, so I'm thinking it would be better to have boots that aren't waterproof so they will dry out faster. Any thoughts?

Images

i agree. even for winter.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Last summer I was hiking the AT near VA. Got caught in a torrential downpour one afternoon. My shoes (Non-waterproof, ventilated Keen Voyageurs) and socks (all wool darn tough micro crew cushion) were soaked to the point where they would go squish squish with every step. The next day I stopped for lunch at a road crossing and met a guy who had all his gear spread out in the parking area to dry (he had been caught in the same storm). He had big, old fashioned, all leather, heavy hiking boots. He said he had been there all morning trying to get them dried out. I then looked down at my feet and my shoes and socks were completely dry.

so yes, I am a believer in the non-waterproof shoe idea. Nevertheless, every time I go shoe shopping, the sales people at the outdoor stores insist that I buy Goretex lined shores, and that is mostly what they carry (ug).

Conventional wisdom is not always wise and true wisdom is often unconventional.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I wore Gore-tex boots for years over many section hikes. Even if the boots didn't get wet inside from rain storms, my feet would sweat so much that they would get soaked on a moderately warm day. I've been much happier with the mesh boots over the past 4 hikes, even though they can get wet quickly on a wet trail (it is amazing at how adept I've become at keeping my feet dry, however).

I do use waterproof boots for day hikes and believe that they can work well for true winter snow hikes. If I were to wear mesh boots in deep snow then I would want Gore-tex booties and gaitors.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I realize I'm in the minority, but I personally like the goretex-lined ones, I actually own an otherwise identical pair of Merrells (low-top light hikers both with and w/o goretex), I find zero difference in drying time, and my feet do actually stay significantly drier in the goretex ones. I only wear the non-gore ones in very dry conditions, including Utah desert hiking. One other note: my feet do not sweat hardly at all, undoubtedly the reason I like goretex shoes/boots.

I'm another one who goes with Gore-tex boots, but I mainly hike in the Cdn Rockies where the conditions are probably quite different that the AT. I'm planning on using my Zamberlan Trek-Lites on my AT thru this year - we're starting on March 3, so we will probably have good use of a heavier duty boot for the first 6 weeks. I'll be interested to see if I change my mind after a few hundred miles and the onset of spring heat.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use water proof boots, but that is because my main place to hike/camp is GSMNP where there are lots of small stream crossings and lots of places with mud. The water proof boots let me cross all the little streams (and even larger ones at low water levels) without having to get my feet wet or take my boots off. Of course, if the water is more than about ankle deep, then it's taking the time to change into the water/camp shoes.

I recall some documentary years ago about some guy and his adult daughter were hiking the woods of California. I think he was doing something like investigating how far north red-woods grow. Anyway, they took a moment to talk about hiking simply in saddles to keep his feet dry from all the creek crossings they faced.

Images

The only time that I wish for Goretex (that didn't leak) is when there is a few inches of snow. That is the only time I find it useful. Stream Crossings???? Most stream crossing I have done would swamp waterproof boots then you have a real mess. I have settled on using a (mostly) waterproof pair of booties under trail runners. Even if they get wet due to conditions or sweating, it is a warm wet not a cold wet. I can walk through muck and water and it stops the water exchange that will chill the feet. I have found this helpful from late fall to the spring. In the summer or shoulder seasons I just go trail runners and fast drying socks.

The only waterproof boots I have are pacs, the foot is waterproof, the uppers are not waterproof.

More significant, these boots have an inner breatheable and moisture transport booties.

If I were in the desert, high desert or dry winter climate, I would not notice perspiration because it immediately evaporates.

The places I hike have frequent waterways over shoe tops and boot tops.

I like mesh hiking shoes. I also have slip-on water shoes to put on to keep from having wet socks. The stretch gaiters help.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-04-2015 at 00:34.

I also wear GTX boots. Since I hike primarily in NH and Maine which often have wet trails, that's a no brainer. I have no problem with sweaty feet or them taking a long time to dry if they do get wet inside, which only happens if it's raining so hard the water runs down my leg into the boot or is so deep on the trail it overflows the top of the boot.

If I lived and hiked out west where it is much drier maybe I'd go with non-waterproof boots, but for the east coast and New England in general GTX boots are the way to go, especially in the spring and fall.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    The bottom line is, your feet are going to get wet, so I'm thinking it would be better to have boots that aren't waterproof so they will dry out faster. Any thoughts?
    Considering that I watched a couple of people destroy leather boots trying to get them dry over fires in Maine, I think not waterproof is better.

Spend all the money you want on the most waterproof boots you can find.
    Just don't expect them to keep your feet dry.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Spend all the money you want on the most waterproof boots you can find.
    Just don't expect them to keep your feet dry.
    Best advice ever.

Nothing is waterproof really. Once water breeches the top of a shoe or boot the game is over. In heavy rain events, the inside of the shoe/boot can be breeched by water running down legs or crossing water (streams/puddles) that overflow into the shoe/boot. External saturation can come from a number of sources, rain, snow, dew on grass, streams, etc., where materials like gortex can prevent a lot of water entry up to a point.

For what its worth, my view on the consideration for waterproof (calling it gortex) shoes/boots is more for casual or low severity water contact protection, like heavy dew on grass, shallow puddles (that do not reach the top of the shoe/boot),wide puddles or boggy areas without stepping aids, or short duration rain/snow. These are nuisances for me and I prefer the gortex protection to avoid walking around in wet shoes for several hours or more from an early morning contest with heavy dew. If I am out in desert conditions, I will us the non-gortex shoes.

I have not seen a lot of difference in drying time between gortex and non-gortex shoes, both types seem to walk dry at about the same rate and will dry around a fire or via room heat at about the same time. I have seen a fairly significant difference in water resistant boots versus non water resistant in drying time, with gortex taking longer to dry out (my own experience there).

Here's the problem with "waterproof" goretex lined boots for long distance hiking. Sooner or later.. eventually.. one way or the other.. water is going to get inside. Maybe you walked through a stream or maybe it rain 3-4 days in a row and puddles were everywhere or maybe it was really muddy. But some how eventually water gets in. Once inside the boot.. water doesn't get out in a waterproof boot so your feet will stay soaked!

Better solutions I have found:

1) put the wet socks back on the next morning so you keep the dry socks dry (hopefully in a waterproof sack).
    2) If available, put newspaper inside the boots to wick moisture away.
    3) put boots upside down with your trekking poles inside them during night.
    4) never ever put wet boots right next to roaring fire or some heater. That will just crack the leather.

Images

Thanks, all. I have Goretex hiking shoes for everyday knock around, but I think the feedback, above, confirms my suspicion that it would probably be better to have non-'waterproof' boots for the AT. All good suggestions. Thanks, again.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have used both. What I find more important is keeping an extra pair of socks dry. Hiking with ones which have become wet in each armpit does help dry the sock out. Also, Long distance I've never been able to stay completely dry. Never.

Images

Thanks for all of the great feedback. The Merrell Moabs fit my feet well. Looking at the weights, I find the waterproof Moabs weight 1lb 8 oz and the non waterproof (Ventilator) weigh 1 lb 14 oz (!). I wasn't expecting THAT.

++ New Posts ++