WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking at Newfound Gap - SAFE????

Planning on dropping a car off at US 441/Newfound Gap for five days. We're going to get shuttled to Fontana Dam.
    Trip planned for some time in April. Has anyone had or heard of any break-in problems. Plan to leave the car
    empty - glove box open - all the stuff you're suppose to do when you leave a car. BUT I would just like it to be there
    when we get there.

Thanks for any input!!!

Images

No parking area in the park is completely safe as it can happen at any time etc etc etc...

with that being said---in 15 years of solid year round hiking in and around the park, and having my car at all places all over the area at various trailheads----I haven't had my car broken in once.....

and im pretty sloppy and lax and about keeping things outta plain site....

I basically take it for granted that I won't get broken into and that's not the way I should approach it...

And to be honest----the gap is pretty dang safe as Rangers go by there all the time..

they will know that you are there----they will run your plates......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

New Found Gap is one of the safer places to park a car because there is so much traffic (night and day).

The only place (lately) I've been warned about potential break-ins is the lower parking lot of Alum Cave Trailhead. The parking lot is easy to access from 441, but still a little hidden from 441 traffic.

You shouldn't have to go to the extreme opening everything like glove boxes. I've just been told you need to lock your doors and leave EVERYTHING out of sight.

Thanks so much for the replies- just love all the help you get on White Blaze!!!

Journal Entries

It's pretty darn safe. As a ridgerunner I had to leave my car there for my 5 day patrol several times, never a problem. Listening to the radio dispatch (which as ridgerunner you sometimes have a lot of time on you hands), I did hear several times of a bear breaking into a car at NFG, but never a vandal. So I would suggest make sure the smellables are out, including that pine scented air freshener bear breath mint hanging on the rear view window.

Also make sure the back country office (where you get yoru permit from) has you license plate on file, it helps all around.

I have parked there alot with no troubles at all. I have also parked at the main entrance visitor center alot without issue. You could always hitch back to Gatlinburg/Visitor center if you are worried about it.

++ New Posts ++