Thread: Rain Pants

Default Rain Pants

Hey ladies. Any suggestions on good, but not too expensive, rain pants?

My problem with finding pants in general, but especially with rain pants/hiking pants, are finding ones that accomplish what I need while fitting me. I'm barely 5'1, so they need to be for petite women, or even a boys' size. I know I'm thinking about this a little later than I should have, but it slipped my mind!

I don't know rain pants, so much as Equinox full moon rain chaps for walking on a slightly overgrown trail, or, the long wrap around rain skirts from Zpacks and LightHeart Gear. If you are hiking in cold weather, wind pants with DWR may serve, but rain pants may retain more warmth.

I found mine at STP, by Pella. I will blend in with the forest, lol! The rain gear is heavier that I chose. I love the top; the pants, meh, not so much. They are rather bulky, and are treated with DWR. Since I'm hiking into Fall, I opted for the heavier weight even though I hike hot.

I'll get to try them out in Feb in 'real life' adventures and will let you know how they fare. This week's temps where I'll be camping in February is in the single digits. Maybe I'll get some snow while I am there!

Marmot has their Precip pants in a wide variety of sizes including some XS down to 27". The list price on those is $80, but you might be able to find a better price shopping around; not sure how well that works with your budget.

Images

Try E-bay. I snagged a new pair of Marmot precip pants in a women's short length for $49. They are very nice and only weigh 8.5 ounces (W size Large short)
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Thanks for the advice! I am going to rei to try on those Marmots. If they fit, I hope to find a pair on Ebay. I am definitely wanting to go with pants for the warmth, although a skirt would be awesome otherwise (I'm still going to look into them more before a final decision).

Precips work very well are full length zip and can be found at discount outlets for around 45$ . Look around and you will score some cheap.

Trespass Qikpac. Cheap and rated very highly on STP. Unisex sizes so maybe too long. Also GearTrade has some good deals at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 4'11" and I used Campmor pants for most of my thru. Length issues were worst when not in hiking boots b/c thise allowed for pooling of pant leg at ankles. Pants that I could tighten at ankle were better for trail runners and camp shoes.
    Dimples

If your pants are too long, you could try getting them hemmed. You might want to seam seal the stitches but hems are usually $10 or less at a tailor. Or you can try doing it yourself if you are handy with sewing

I had the Marmot rain pants and they were a waste of money. You sweat so much hiking in them that you end up soaked anyways. Rain or sweat, you will end up wet in these pants. When I thru hiked the AT in 2012, I hiked in North Face convertible pants when it was cold and a skirt when it got hot.

Well, I went and tried on some pants, and it seems that for my budget/size Marmot Precips Xsmall won. Got a pair for $40 on Ebay. I can return it, so I'm still keeping an eye for anything that might end up cheaper. I'm not tooo worried about the sweat, but thanks for the heads up.
    “You can't put your feet on the ground until you've touched the sky.”

++ New Posts ++