WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Backpacking chairs?

any of y'all ever tried them? I am considering a model made by REI and another by some company called Alite. These things weigh in the neighborhood of 1.5 lbs each and appear to pack down fairly small. looks like a better alternative than rocks or logs, especially for winter hikes when there is way more downtime. (I am not a night hiker).

I know some of you have never tried them, and will never try them, because you wouldn't dare consider the extra weight. and that's ok. No need to post that here. I'd rather hear just from those who have actually tried them to get some perspective. thx for any feedback be it good or bad.

Images

I have a flex lite that I really like. It packs small and fits in the side water bottle pocket on my pack. It goes on all my short hikes.

Lightest fully featured chair I've seen is the Helinox Ground Chair ar around $110 and 1.1 pounds. I personally don't find it to be comfortable, but TONS of people love it and the Alite and Flex Lite chairs which are very similar in design.

I'm currently using a DIY Jerry Chair which uses my hiking poles for support. Weighs under 4 ounces and I use my foam foot box pad from my hammock as the cushioning for my butt:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=gearskin

Dochartaigh, Permission is required to view that at Hammock Forum.

I have seen a small seat size "hammock" for sitting at a campsite.

Here's a 5-in-1 version of it to give you a rough idea (link should work) http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...1-jerry-chair/

The original one is just a chair. Basically just a piece of fabric you sit on, then the back of it is held up with your trekking poles giving you back and head/neck support. I use my 2 ounce Klymit pillow to sit on and it's super comfortable (well, as comfortable as you can get for it being so light).

Sorry, meant to also say that I just tried my Klymit-X pillow as the sit pad on it tonight (deflated quite a bit) and it's so much more comfortable than the little piece of foam from my hammock I was using before (like night and day)a. Think I'm going to add it to my kit (and as a bonus I'll have a small inflatable pillow to use in my hammock as well).

I have a monarch buttterfly chair. Weighs a pound. Pretty comfortab
    E. I onlyh carry it on more remote hikes. Most sites along the at have tables or logs to sit on.

Not sure if you've considered the z seat by thermarest, but if I was going to carry any type of "chair" it would be that. Im sure a real chair would be much more comfy though if you're willing to carry the extra weight

There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

One thing I don't think i'd care for in the single pivoting type camp chairs is the constant firing your leg muscles have to do to keep you from falling over...at the end of a hiking day I'd want my legs to relax not nano firing like a segway.

When my hike is short and the goal is comfort around the campfire, the best comfort/weight/usability combination I've found is the Helinox Chair One. My first one got co-opted by the spouse within the first days of use. My second one has seen lots of use but shows little wear. It packs small but, sits high. When I use it I am lounging rather than balancing. My kids use them at home for TV and Gaming as well as around the back yard fire-pit.

http://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-chair-one.php

I found this camp seat on amazon. It weighs less than 9oz! It has a pretty tiny seat area but definitely comfortable for what it is. This will be my luxury item on my multi day hikes.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JQU...VsL&ref=plSrch
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    One thing I don't think i'd care for in the single pivoting type camp chairs is the constant firing your leg muscles have to do to keep you from falling over...at the end of a hiking day I'd want my legs to relax not nano firing like a segway.
    I used one once and hated it for this reason. Also takes a bit of thought to keep yourself balanced. When I get to camp I just want to relax.

Images

I take a Alite mantis and just love it, Never been a weight weenie so it's a great pleasure at the end of the day..

I have had one of those tripod seats, not really for relaxation, they do keep you off the ground.

If hiking in the woods, I carry just the seat. I lash three sturdy sticks together, at the pivot point. Voila! A seat.

OCDave, I would like to have that chair, your kids use. I may purchase one.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    OCDave, I would like to have that chair, your kids use. I may purchase one.
    I think I found one locally for $80 using a 20% off coupon the other I bought online for around $75.

Good Luck

$80 for a camp chair is crazy. Check out my post on the camp chair.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Not if it is truly comfortable at the campsite, and, lightweight.

I had this chair.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M93...=SY115&simLd=1

I removed the seat. I lash sturdy sticks together at the pivot point. Voila! A chair.

Edit: Ouch! That chair is $108.

I see another problem. If soft ground, the chair legs would sink in.

My hiking is either soft forest duff or above treeline.

The Alite Mayfly chair would not sink in ordinary soft ground. However it is 1.6 lbs.
    http://shop.alitedesigns.com/mayfly-chair-sling.html

ridingpa, Does the Alite Monarch Butterfly sink in soft ground? That chair is 1 lb.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-09-2015 at 21:56.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmmm have you tried FREE?

04-mark-twain-stump.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I use this a lot but forego the large frame. I lash the top to a tree, run a stick through the bottom and lash two sticks to the front support and tie them together to form a single leg support in the front. If I have two trees close enough together, I will just lash either side to a tree and use it as a hammock chair then when done, it becomes my gear loft which I can cover and keep it off the ground. Very multi-purpose piece of gear and the guy is cool too.
    http://canada-camps.ca/node1/96/

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++