WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

It is likely that your phone is capable of OTA FM radio, but your carrier wouldn't make any money off it, so it is disabled.

Please remember to be courteous to your fellow hikers while listening to your radios/ipods/mp3s, etc. Ear buds/headphones are a wonderful thing. I don't mind some music around the campfire at night. I am attempting a thru hike this March and I will be bringing along a small weather, am/fm radio. Live music from somebody who can play is even more appreciated. What I don't understand is people walking along in a beautiful natural area with the radio blasting for all to hear. Talk about a buzz kill. HYOH but please use earphones.

Thanks ahead of time!

Having a AM transistor Rad will give you warning of electrical storms by the static.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

The real advantage of a small radio is that it will go on forever with one AAA bat. vs. a smart phone that won't last two hours.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    The undisputed king of the backpacking radios.
    I do not consider the Sangean DT 400 or the DT 200 to be the undisputed kings of backpacking radios. I've been thru a couple 400's and about five 200's and they go haywire after about a year or two of heavy backpacking. And by haywire I mean---

** The lock feature comes on w/o my participation and I can't shut it off.
    ** The light stays on and the radio won't shut off unless I take out the batts.
    ** The tuning feature goes nuts and starts scanning thru all the channels.
    ** The thing simply won't turn on, period.

These things have happened to every single Sangean I have used but I keep getting new ones every couple years because what's out there that's any better?

For my jaded reviews, see---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=389694

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=394766

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=439669

My DT 400 during better times.

The same radio near the end of the trip and crushed with a rock in exasperation, then the guts photographed on my red tent stuff sack.

The DT 200 in action somewhere in the mountains of NC. It died too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++