WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dog + Tent Set-up

Hi there! I'm planning on doing a solo hike with my pup. Currently, I have a Fly Creek UL1, and I'm wondering what other people do with this set-up for sleeping arrangements. I've hiked with my dog before, but we always used my ex's 2 person tent so space was less of an issue. I'd rather not buy a whole new tent set-up if I can avoid it, but I also don't want to have my gear destroyed by cramming too many bodies into it.

I'm about 5'0" and the pup is only 40lbs. Have an osprey 55L pack that I'd prefer inside but am not opposed to leaving it in the vestibule area.

I've always had my dog at my feet before, but with sloped tent walls for him to bang into and needing to walk across my inflatable pad to get to the foot of the tent, that seems less than ideal. Having him at my head seems like an option, but then I'd worry about my sleeping bag gathering condensation at the foot of the tent from the walls.

How do you all deal with dog + 1 person tent?

Sounds like ur pack and all non sleep gear is going to move to the vestibule unless u buy a larger tent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have my Akita dog in the vestibule, on his own paw print "mattress" for camping. For hiking, covered fleece.

Dogs cool-off by panting: think condensation on the inside of the tent.

I would suggest 2 person tent. When we car camp we have a 6 person that two dogs (Lab mix and small mutt) two adults and the lab and mutts crate fit into crates are more for when we go to swimming hole where fur-children are not allowed). If I were hiking I would use the 2 person tent we bought when wife and I married and lab mix would sleep with me in it without crate.

Two person is better but a single can be done. I used to have a 35 lb Brittany spaniel camp with me. An extended hike could get tough but I could do a couple weeks. Depending on the footprint. My tent was not much bigger than my sleeping bag. There was no room for me and gear regardless.

Images

If it means anything the Tarptent Rainbow fits a person, a dog, and some gear pretty well.

I slept with a 108 lb doberman in a Eureka spitfire 1 until I got a larger tent, I found it interesting that when alone I could not find room in the tent for the pack, but the two of us were able to fit...and it was a tight fit, I'm 6'1", 180 lb...but we slept warm.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumCJ View Post
    Two person is better but a single can be done. I used to have a 35 lb Brittany spaniel camp with me. An extended hike could get tough but I could do a couple weeks. Depending on the footprint. My tent was not much bigger than my sleeping bag. There was no room for me and gear regardless.
    Thanks...Hoping not to spring for a new tent if I can avoid it. Both of us are pretty little, so I'm hoping with just some snuggness we can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I slept with a 108 lb doberman in a Eureka spitfire 1 until I got a larger tent, I found it interesting that when alone I could not find room in the tent for the pack, but the two of us were able to fit...and it was a tight fit, I'm 6'1", 180 lb...but we slept warm.
    This is reassuring, thank you! I'm betting we can do it, just that it'll be tight. I set everything up at home, but without tying out the guylines, it was hard to get a true feel for it all. Will be doing a couple overnights just to get into the flow of it all with him. Thanks!

You guys should be fine. If you're concerned about moisture getting to your pack when it's stored under the vestibule you can put it in a large plastic bag from a dry cleaner. I use an REI Half dome tent for me (200 lbs) and my 60+ pound lab. Boots are in the lower corner of the tent and the pack is under the vestibule. Only catch is that I have to get in first so I can claim my space before he sprawls out and takes up most of the tent!

Lauky and I use a 2p tent. That leaves space for both of us plus the gear.

Why not a pad for the dog and a small tarp right next to your vestibule?

++ New Posts ++