WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: curried grits

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    From an article I found....
    How are grits any different than polenta ?
    Both polenta and grits are made from stone-ground cornmeal, dried corn that’s ground down into smaller, coarse bits. So how do the two differ? Some people think the difference lies in geography: the Italian version is known as polenta whereas the Southern version is known as grits. Others think that polenta is made with yellow corn while grits are always made with white corn.

Anson Mills founder Glen Roberts is quoted in the piece describing the difference as he sees it: while both grits and polenta are made from stone-ground cornmeal, "Southern grits and Italian polenta are traditionally made from two vastly different types of corn. How many times it's milled and the fineness of the grind also differ. And then there's the taste and texture."

Most grits in the South are traditionally made from a class of corn called dent corn whereas in Italy, most polenta is made from a class of corn called flint corn, which holds its texture better. Why do these different classes matter? Because of the different type of corn, grits can even come across as almost mushy while polenta is often more coarse and toothsome.

I find polenta to be much sticker than grits
    while I don't like grit in my teeth, I do love a toothy grit....go figure.

Man - I'm really glad I found this thread! I love grits: cheese grits with over easy eggs atop, garlic grits, shrimp and grits, grits with (insert whatever is in the fridge) mixed in, ... with veggies. Mmmmmm

In a related topic: I am thinking of getting a dehydrator (much of the dehydrated stuff will go in grits). I don't want to spend a mint and I don't want to cheap out.

Any suggestions on a good dehydrator that I won't grow out of, but that isn't an expensive behemoth?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    Man - I'm really glad I found this thread! I love grits: cheese grits with over easy eggs atop, garlic grits, shrimp and grits, grits with (insert whatever is in the fridge) mixed in, ... with veggies. Mmmmmm

In a related topic: I am thinking of getting a dehydrator (much of the dehydrated stuff will go in grits). I don't want to spend a mint and I don't want to cheap out.

Any suggestions on a good dehydrator that I won't grow out of, but that isn't an expensive behemoth?
    I'm with ya on the cheese grits and eggs, I may have to go back to the kitchen tonight! Check out the 'excalibur' line of dehydrators, they seem to get good reviews. I switched from an old mr coffee round to one of these and it works great. Also not too expensive.

You might try adding some steel cut oats (Red Mill is one source that makes them - sold at Walmart and Meijer Stores).

These really add a "chewie" quality! (Like the Chobani Oats Yogurt).

http://mobile.nesco.com/products/Deh..._9ac58d564b22/

Is this dehydrator good enough? $99

It provides for 12 trays. It has the top-mounted fan, it has 95-160 F temperature range, the timer turns it OFF.

It doesn't take up all the countertop in a small kitchen.

I want the recipe to make hominy. I want to know the right Corona grinder. I will make my own grits, and, other homemade dehydrated dinners I have seen at the forum and links.

Rain man, Thank you for Red-eye gravy.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-27-2015 at 23:05.

Images

Hi, Connie,

This is for making tortillas, but the first step to do that (before grinding) is making hominy. It also has descriptions and links for the Corona mill and its clones. For grits, just let the hominy dry and set the grinder wide open. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/189...-and-tortillas Be sure to hunt up the Alton Brown video on U-tube. Hilarious, and very informative.

I originally got the Corona (for $6.00 plus shipping!) at a home brew shop website. Useful for cracking grain for brewing. I wanted to grind flour, but it's not really suited for that purpose, and it didn't work well. It's also like real work! Remember the Biblical reference of "earning thy bread by the sweat of thy brow." Hand grinding flour in a hot garage in Florida in July pops up plenty of sweat on the manly brow! Grinding corn is much easier than wheat; grinding hominy into masa is a piece of cake. Not too eventually, we also got a WhisperMill (now rebranded as WonderMill), which was marketed as the quietest electric mill on the market. Like the old WhisperLite stove (neither quiet nor light), it's seriously misnamed. Thing sounds like a jet engine winding up and down, but it makes mounds of really fine flour in seconds. I can even make whole wheat cake flour with it!

Shop around for the grinder. Check eBay, too, for a lightly used one. They're cast iron; they don't wear out.

Nesco, I think, is a nice dehydrator. I'm currently still using a cheap Walmart special, with no fan or thermostat. It works, after a fashion, but it's due for replacement soon. It's really just a step up from using the oven, and a short step, at that.

Try Hot Cereal with honey and some dehydrated fruit instead of oatmeal it's very awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    http://mobile.nesco.com/products/Deh..._9ac58d564b22/

Is this dehydrator good enough? $99

Looks perfect-Thanks!

Red dog; by hot cereal do you mean cracked wheat, cream of wheat, or something else?

I am finding grits recipes, now, online.

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-m...#axzz3RwNDKIQ3

I find there are quite a few recipes websites, online.

Jim Dandy grits are pretty good. Better than the dog food they make, anyway.

For those of you who can't find grits in a store - are you looking in the hot cereal section? That is where it is always sold in the Western states.

I love instant grits - I get the plain and add in all sorts of savory (2 packets makes a meal). Meat, veggies, cheese, etc. Also good prepped, then cooled and then fried......
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I hate Curry, but I like grits well enough, I would at least try.it..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++