WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It bothers me when a sales person disses a competitors product while trying to sell theirs. If the product is good it should stand on its own.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    It bothers me when a sales person disses a competitors product while trying to sell theirs. If the product is good it should stand on its own.
    People vote w/ their wallet on consumer goods. The AT Guide won the election by a landslide.

I think it was the author/creator of the AT Guide that 'dissed' the Companion, not a sales person. Don't know if that matters.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Since we are talking about the quality and amount of information in these publications, it might be wise to bring up Guthook's AT Guide as well. I know its only on devices and not paper-bound, but I was curious on how people would compare it to both AWOL's guide and the Companion. I know the downsides of electronic information, but how is the actual quality of the info in it?
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Before long, we can read about each foot of travel, orientation of all the rocks and roots that poke out of the tread way, slant of the shadow at various times of the day, and where to get the best pizza and beer from each road crossing. I'ms sure before I'm done there will be a step by step video of the trail and all the possible diversions, food joints, best privies, and what each view looks like in all seasons.

After that, the only issue I see is what level of discovery remains for the hiker with all this information.

While I am but a lowly section hiker, I have used both guides. At first, I had a hard time switching away from the Data guide - as I LOVED the additional historical information; however, as a hiker, I quickly came to realize that the AWOL guide provided me with the BEST trail, water, shelter, and local town information - which is what I needed the most!!!

AWOL's guide is the BEST guide for actual hikers!

I won't buy the Companion anymore due to my own experiences with its inacurate information while I was out on the trail. In 2007 it listed Franklin NC West instead of East from the trailhead. Luckily, while I was trying to hitch in the wrong direction based on bad info, Mrs. Haven pulled up to drop off some hikers and saved me from hitching away from Frankiln. Also, when using my 2007 guide for my 2009 hike it stated for Poplar Ridge lean to in Maine "No tentsites". There are most definitely established tent sites at Poplar Ridge. The 2012 Companion also claims "no tentsites" at Poplar Ridge. This year will be the AWOL Guide for me. Not the end of the world by any means, but if I'm buying a guidebook I want the info to be accurate. I understand that springs dry up and motel prices change, but East and West does not, and Poplar Ridge lean to still had baseball bat floors so I don't think a lot had changed there in a while. That experience just came at the end of a long day where I was frustrated and looking for a place to camp since I don't sleep in shelters.

That being said I support and appreciate the ATC and will continue to donate when I can.

AT Guide for me - the looseleaf printed version so it is easy to carry just the current section, and the PDF version on my phone.

Images

putts, I can understand your frustration, and while I prefer the AT Guide, in all fairness, did you report the inaccuracies you found to the folks who publish The Companion?

Sometimes typos get made, sometimes someone may just have a brain f@rt when reporting info. There are thousands of data points, some mistakes are inevitable. I've found some minor errors in the AT Guide in the past and reported them, that is how these ever changing publications can improve. I would not base my choice on one or two errors that affected you.

By the way, excellent reason to carry a map - check the directional information for yourself instead of blindly following any guide. This last is just a personal mini-rant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++