WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best tape to reapir ul gear

Okay, now that I've got a bunch of carbon fiber gear (stuff sacks, pack cover, sleeping bag), thin sinylon gear (tent, rain wrap), thin dwr-treated nylon (down jacket, synthetic vest) -- I'm looking at it all and I'm thinking "crap, I'm going to put holes in this, even if I try to be really careful." The neo-air comes with a couple glue patches, but for everything else -- I'm wondering if there is a preferred tape brand / type that can be used as a all purpose patch to keep the down stuffing in / water out long enough to get a proper repair.

is it Carbon fiber or Cuben Fiber? if it's Cuben Fiber then Z-packs sells Repair kits and Cuben fiber seam seal/repair tape this is the preferred Kit/tape to use on CUBEN Fiber, everything else should have came with their own repair kit, or just simply use Duct tape it will be good enough until you can get someplace to put a proper fix on it.

Personally I would go ahead a buy the Cuben Fiber repair kits and or just the repair tape it will be a lot easier on you in the long run.

Ah great, yeah zpacks stuff, stuff sacks, pack cover and a sleeping bag -- I missed their repair kit, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use duct tape on cuben fiber it can pull the coating material off or whatever it is. Stick with cuben repair kits for cuben. MY YAMA stuff sack kit came with some circular and rectangular patches I can use for small holes, that is what I plan on using on my waterproof bags.

McNett Tenacious tape.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

As mentioned above, Cuben is pretty easy to repair with the cuben tape, or even duct tape (though don't try to peel them off when done, it tears up the fabric. Ask me how I know this. )

Silnylon is more difficult in the field, as it's coated with silicone and not much sticks. A small tube of silicone sealer and two pieces of matching silnylon fabric can be used to patch holes - smear the patches with the sealant and put one piece on each side of the fabric. Let dry for a day or so.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

+1 for McNett Tenacious tape

HMG also has a "little" repair kit for cuben I was admiring for UL or SUL.

Nice, that ZPacks has all that!

Forget having nasty duct tape near "quality" gear. The "sticky" of duct tape is so bad, I wouldn't let it near anything at all, even a HVAC duct. I got "plumbers tape" for the foam covers under my RV.

Awesome, McNett's tt also -- perfect, thnx!

Images

If you are serious about using cuben gear in the future just buy a role of single sided cuben tape. Before you know it you may just be modifying and making your own cuben gear. It is dirt simple especially stuff like stuff sacks.

Kenyon tape...I've used it on down jackets and sleeping bags, patched a 6" rip in a tent fly and even used it to patch holes in tee shirts (but don't recommend it for that). Rather than trying to sew the cuts, I used this tape to patch holes I cut in a sleeping bag to add down in each baffle...has held up well through two washings.

Cuben tape for cuben.

Tenacious tape is the best of the nylon tapes.
    Duct tape is fine for an emergency, until you need to make a permanent repair and can't get it off.

With any tape- rounding the corners leads to a longer lasting repair.

Needle and thread works best- with a few scraps of fabric carried for bigger patches.
    Rather than carry seam sealer (which always seems to be rotten by the time you need it) simply use some chap stick or Vaseline to get you by until you get to town. Seam sealer should be fully cured for a day anyway so trying to field repair is usually a waste of effort and leads to a bigger mess. Better to "get by" until your next zero and give it a good 24 hours to cure properly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Rather than carry seam sealer (which always seems to be rotten by the time you need it) simply use some chap stick or Vaseline to get you by until you get to town. Seam sealer should be fully cured for a day anyway so trying to field repair is usually a waste of effort and leads to a bigger mess. Better to "get by" until your next zero and give it a good 24 hours to cure properly.
    For a permanent, on the road repair after stitching patch in place: Most every auto parts store (Napa, PEP Boys, Auto Zone, etc.) carries "flowable silicone windshield sealant". Works perfectly as seam sealant, is 100% silicone, remains flexible, and is cheap. I haven't used expensive sealant since I found out about this. Comes in small, convenient tubes. Almost every small town has an auto parts store.

++ New Posts ++