WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/folding-scissors

These were the only scissors I would carry. If I had these scissors again, they might weigh less than the Trim brand curved blade scissors. I don't know.

It is convenient to have them fold up like that. The other brand folding scissors are much bigger scissors.

I have pair of generic nail clippers (with emery blade) that I carry. Just weighed them and they are 0.5 oz

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    I have pair of generic nail clippers (with emery blade) that I carry. Just weighed them and they are 0.5 oz
    I do like having the emery blade if that's what it's called. Ahh god... looks like I'm heading to walmart with my current clippers to compare sizes. Looks like I'll go with adult nail clippers, just looking for something smaller than my current set. At 1.50 to shave 3/10's of an ounce, you can't call me crazy. $50 to save 1/2oz... now thats crazy

Given that foot care, especially toe nail care is important to the success of a hike of any distance, I include a nail clippers as permanent component of my first aid kit.

I would also suggest that treating clippers as a one use item is less than environmentally friendly. Consider that the metal was likely mined in the US with some environmental cost, shipped to China, manufactured into a set clippers, packaged in plastic and shipped back to USofA all consuming fossil fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Ewww! Just a note to anyone who takes personal hygiene tools out of the hiker box: sterilize them before you use them! Nail clippers in particular can harbor all sorts of things you wouldn't want to be infected with.
    Yup. For all who decide on carrying one set of nail clippers over the long term clean/sterilize them often or you could be compromising the very reason why some of you carry them - healthy feet/nails actually spreading fungus, bacteria, and other nasties.

Agree with Just Bill's idea that one or two finer emory boards can work just as well if not better than nail clippers if all you're using nail clippers for is nail care. You'll likely be tending to your nails, and hopefully your entire feet, more frequently that way too. Works better for the gram weenie extremists too which is the Forum where this thread is located.

I take emery boards and file my nails and calluses. I think that it helps with blisters forming under the calluses. Or at least, it stops the calluses from getting all raggedy.

Don't let emery boards get wet. They turn to a terrible mush.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yup. For all who decide on carrying one set of nail clippers over the long term clean/sterilize them often or you could be compromising the very reason why some of you carry them - healthy feet/nails actually spreading fungus, bacteria, and other nasties.

Agree with Just Bill's idea that one or two finer emory boards can work just as well if not better than nail clippers if all you're using nail clippers for is nail care. You'll likely be tending to your nails, and hopefully your entire feet, more frequently that way too. Works better for the gram weenie extremists too which is the Forum where this thread is located.
    Thanks Dogwood, I did post this in the UL'ers forum for a reason. However I've never tended my nails with emery boards. I'm gonna go to the store and look for a lighter alternative to my clippers that weigh 0.7oz. Supposedly people here have an adult nail clipper that weights 0.3-0.5oz. I'd happily spend the $1.50 to shave a few tenths of an ounce. No compromises with going lighter here. And I agree with what someone posted above. Buying and tossing nail clippers at trail towns is incredibly wasteful for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    If you are losing toenails and are not trimming your toenails once a week, or have nasty blisters, I'm not going to listen to your complaints. Sometimes you get what you deserve. Foot care is critical. wiping your feet down with a baby wipe once a day just is not enough. Could someone who really knows please write a short article about foot/toe nail/ blister care. I've got some ideas but I'm not an expert.
    Andrew Shurka has this article for wet feet.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimiz...h-of-wet-feet/

My Trim brand fingernail clippers have a metal "emery" file.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I currently carry a pair of regular old nail clippers (0.7oz) for backpacking. I have read the one that comes on another Swiss army knife are sub par at doing their job.
    Can't comment on the infant clippers, but I use and like the ones that come on a small Wenger SAK. Always take this model SAK if I'm out for more than 5 days or so.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I take emery boards and file my nails and calluses. I think that it helps with blisters forming under the calluses. Or at least, it stops the calluses from getting all raggedy.

Don't let emery boards get wet. They turn to a terrible mush.
    There are better quality SUL emory boards available made of synthetic materials that are designed for hygienic wet use of filing nails. I find them at Health and Beauty supply stores like Harmons. They may cost a tiny bit more than the emory boards found at Wally Worlds or Dollar stores with basically recycled cardboard centers but you get longer use/many multiple filings from one and they don't dissolve if wet. Actually, getting wet helps clean them for the next use.

I've wondered this myself. For my ~5 months out on the AT, twice I just through them in the hiker box when I was done and then I just went ahead and carried them after that.

Leatherman squirtPS4 worth the 2oz for me...
    Scissors
    Pliers much more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++