WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ultralight...nail clippers

I currently carry a pair of regular old nail clippers (0.7oz) for backpacking. I've tried the scissors on my sak and they just don't do the job for me. I have read the overly expensive titanium versions and the one that comes on another Swiss army knife are sub par at doing their job. I was pointed in the direction of getting baby nail clippers from WalMart. They supposedly do the job and weigh 0.3oz. Most come with a rubber housing that you'd remove. Any of you ultralighters have experience with these? At $5 for a .4oz difference I may just try em out.

From what I've seen most ULers don't regularly carry nail clippers on a trail like the AT with it's many town stop opps.

I'm aware alot don't bother. However, I prefer it. I groom my nails every few days to pas the time. I always wondered what people do who don't carry em. Borrow others? I dont agree with that. Buy new ones and toss em every two weeks? I try not to be as wasteful.

Now that you mention it, Trim brand fingernail clippers are .35 oz.

I don't think I will drive 250 miles round-trip to find Walmart store baby fingernail scissors at .3 oz.

After all, I also "backpack" Trim small curved blade scissors at 1.15 oz. for trim toenails.

I happen to think it is important to care for my feet.

Between the Trim brand small curved blade scissors and fingernail clippers my toenails are kept from interfering with socks. The added benefit is no occurance of blisters on toes, or, sore toes.

If you keep on the trail for any duration, you might consider this 1.50 oz. is worth it.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-22-2015 at 11:57.

You could also check out nippers used for fly fishing. They work and are very light

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Now that you mention it, Trim brand fingernail clippers are .35 oz.

I don't think I will drive 250 miles round-trip to find Walmart store baby fingernail sissors at .3 oz.

After all, I also "backpack" Trim small curved blade sissors at 1.15 oz. for trim toenails.

I happen to think it is important to care for my feet.

Between the Trim brand small curved blade sissors and fingernail clippers my toenails are kept from interferring with socks. The added benefit is no occurance of blisters on toes, or, sore toes.

If you keep on the trail for any duration, you might consider this 1.50 oz. is worth it.
    hey Connie, do you have a specific link to those .35oz nail clippers? I google trim brand and get a million hits.. Why are they so much lighter than the three sets of nail clippers I have in my cabinet lol

Given how cheap nail clippers are, I'm planning on buying a pair in town, using them once and then putting them in a hiker box. In general I don't want to carry anything that I'm not using (nearly) every day.

I carry the Leatherman Style CS. (1.4oz) It is a mini multi-tool with a really excellent pair of scissors, very sharp and tougher than the tiny ones on a Swiss Army knife. It also has a small knife, nail file/screwdriver, tweezers, and carabiner/bottle opener. If you are carrying a Swiss Army knife anyway, you might as well carry a single tool instead of two!

http://www.leatherman.com/24.html

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    I carry the Leatherman Style CS. (1.4oz) It is a mini multi-tool with a really excellent pair of scissors, very sharp and tougher than the tiny ones on a Swiss Army knife. It also has a small knife, nail file/screwdriver, tweezers, and carabiner/bottle opener. If you are carrying a Swiss Army knife anyway, you might as well carry a single tool instead of two!

http://www.leatherman.com/24.html
    1.4 oz? No way. It's got to weigh more than that. I see what the ad says. Can anyone verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    1.4 oz? No way. It's got to weigh more than that. I see what the ad says. Can anyone verify this?
    REI specs on this tool show the weight at 1.4 oz.

If you are losing toenails and are not trimming your toenails once a week, or have nasty blisters, I'm not going to listen to your complaints. Sometimes you get what you deserve. Foot care is critical. wiping your feet down with a baby wipe once a day just is not enough. Could someone who really knows please write a short article about foot/toe nail/ blister care. I've got some ideas but I'm not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I just weighed mine on the kitchen scale and it is 41 grams = 1.44 oz. Not bad!!!

PS my roommate gave me a weird look when I did that. Some people just don't understand

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
    Given how cheap nail clippers are, I'm planning on buying a pair in town, using them once and then putting them in a hiker box. In general I don't want to carry anything that I'm not using (nearly) every day.
    Ewww! Just a note to anyone who takes personal hygiene tools out of the hiker box: sterilize them before you use them! Nail clippers in particular can harbor all sorts of things you wouldn't want to be infected with.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I just carry them. A small pair, meant for fingers not toes, but they work just as well for toes. It's worth it to have them. I've on more than one occasion had to deal with a hang nail while hiking, helps to have them immediately handy.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

[URL]http://www.amazon.com/Swiss

This guy is 1/2 ounce, works fine.

That said- If you are keeping up with them frequently- an emery board is likely the more useful for you. Frequent clipping (overtrimming) tends to lead to nail problems. You are generally better off filing to keep edges smooth and length down. The sharp edges left from clipping tend to snag socks and people tend to trim their nails too tightly. Your feet will swell with humidity, moisture, and trail conditions. Keeping your nails manageable but smooth will serve you better than clipping them often.

Emery boards are disposable and a few grams each. You can buy a pack and put them in your mail drops or keep them in your bounce box if you are going that route. (or buy them at any drugstore as needed). Since you aren't doing mani/pedi levels of work a coarse/medium board will be enough to give you a quick tune up. In addition the emery board can be used to buff out any overly tuff callus that develops on your feet in general. A pumice stone can do this job too, but the emery boards are more versatile in my opinion.

80 or 100 grit or a combo if you can find it works well for quick tuneups unless you want to be there all day.
    If you aren't a fan of disposables, a basic metal nail file is generally fairly light and easy to clean.

I use the scissors in my little swiss army knife, so I don't have to carry anything extra.

@fastfoxengineering

Trim fingernail clippers are the primary brand name in the U.S. for all I know. Everywhere, usually found near the cash register in any brand pharmacy.

Does this distinction make me a gram weenie, yet?

Is it enough I have purchased a weigh scale in one hundredths?

Should I add my geargrams gear lists to my signature or my profile at the forum?

I have SUL, UL, and LW lists.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-22-2015 at 12:02.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++