WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pack Weight

Images

Default Pack Weight

I am at 22lbs without food and clothing. Is that an acceptable weight?

I have tried to go as light as I can, but I was hoping to be about 5lbs lighter at this point.

Part of my reasoning is I chose a heavier pack at 4lbs 11oz. I know there are lighter ones, but I feel that on meets my needs more, so I accepted the extra 1lb and a half over the ULA that I was thinking about.
    Also, I can't use feathers, so I had to go synthetic for my sleeping bag which weighs close to 3lbs, and my tent is 1lb 15oz. So it is just over the 9lbs that I was hoping for my big three. So with that said, anyone think I am too heavy?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your hike isn't going to succeed or fail whether you base weight is 22 pounds or 15 pounds. There is no acceptable or unacceptable weight. If you can and are willing to carry it then it is fine, HYOH don't let the ultralight evangelists tell you otherwise. Lots of people have done long hikes with more weight than that . . .

That said,
    I'm assuming that 22 pounds includes some clothing, you just meant that doesn't include the clothing you are wearing during hiking? Can you give a gear list. I bet there are a few things not in the big 3 you probably don't need if you have 13 pounds of gear not in the big 3.

I think all the "helpful advice" is to get you below 30 lbs. or below the weight where you can hike with your head up and look around and be aware of your surroundings, rather than plod the trail head down.

That is the goal.

The most lightweight packs available state the load limit of that backpack.

I consider a lightweight backpack to be 2.5 lbs.

I would rather carry no more than 20-25 lbs.

I balk at having to carry 30 lbs. because I want hiking to be enjoyable. I will do it, but only for an approach trail.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-22-2015 at 13:15.

Images

Your tent, pack and sleeping bag are what you've got and no reason to keep fretting over those. Examine the rest of your gear and consider what changes you can make there. For me it was little things like dropping from my pack items I really didn't need or hadn't use for a while. I switched from two metal water bottles at 4 oz each to two 20oz soda bottles at 1oz each. And then went from the 11oz water filter/pump to the 2oz mini Sawyer filter. It was this sort of small changes that I was able to shed some pack weight.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

The AT has been successfully hiked since the late 1940's with packs that weigh much more than what you have. Don't let Homeless Superheros (Ultralighters as they dress like superheros[tights & shorts] and carry gear of homeless folks [beer can pots, plastic tarps, etc.] convince you that you must go their way.
    To accomplish the AT one must have the right mindset. If you have reservations when you start out that you are carrying too much or not enough; you are going to have problems. The trail will tell you what you need and don't need.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

I don't think your pack weight is unreasonable as long as you can carry it readily. When I started doing section hikes (I haven't done a thru) I would routinely carry between 30-35 lbs. I figured out over time how to make that a lot lighter but you have to start somewhere and you're going to have plenty of time to figure things out.

I'm still trying to figure out my set up completely, but I have pretty much honed in on what works for me and what doesn't. You're definitely limited if you can't use any sort of down, and swapping out tents wouldn't help remarkably. So I guess just accept that your big 3 won't be your big weight savers and cut weight in other places. Without knowing your gear, no one will really be able to help you with the rest of your load out.

Don't worry too much about your gear. If you can handle the weight MENTALLY and still enjoy your hike, then that is what is important. Stay warm and dry, and most importantly, ENJOY YOUR VACATION!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I am at 22lbs without food and clothing. Is that an acceptable weight?
    Honestly that is a question that only you can answer. Put it on your back, go for a hike and see if it is acceptable to you.

Keep in mind that the pack weight of the average thru hiker that I've met on the trail is substantially higher than the average pack weight I've seen bragged about on the internet. I would venture to guess that most of the one's i've met in between PA and VT in recent years were probably carrying 25-35lbs. Heck, back in the 1980's and 1990's an average pack weight on the A.T. was probably between 40 and 50 lbs, not that I'd recommend carrying that much, but it does put things in perspective.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I appreciate the responses. I will probably post a gear list later. I know some things I have I "could" give up. I just keep hearing about these people with 25lb packs including food, water, everything. So I was trying to get an average. The pack was the hardest for me, like I said, it is heavy for a pack, about 4lb 11oz. I know there are other packs, that are even cheaper, but I chose this one for my personal liking. I was really considering the ULA circuit or catalyst , due to their popularity, and weight, but in the end I had to go with something I liked more, and mostly, I like pockets and I am rough on packs, so I need one to hold up. I just weighed everything, without food or water, and I am actually right at 20lbs. So I am thinking right around 30 when all is said and done.

I am use to carrying 40-50lb packs, but on flat ground and only for a day or so, so big difference.
    As far as mentality is concerned, I will finish no matter what. I am walking to bring awareness to veteran suicide. Also for personal reasons, so I will finish. I would just like to enjoy my walk instead of wishing I didn't have a pack on. So I just didn't know what weight the average thru hiker was carrying

That's not unreasonable for a Big 3 number. I would wonder... what else do you have in that pack?

Other than my big 3, my other stuff:
    sleeping pad and pillow, 20 oz
    kitchen stuff, water bottles, etc. abt 20 oz (plus fuel)
    a misc. bag with tp, headlamp
    library stuff: book, maps, etc.
    toiletries, first aid: 10 oz

My clothes (~40 oz including poncho) and food (abt. 1.5 lbs/day) are the heaviest items outside of the Big 3, though, so that's where your weight will come in and add up quickly! You might post a gear list so we can see if you have any unnecessary items.

Oh, and regarding pack weight...I started with a Golite Jam, a very lightweight pack. I now use a pack about a pound heavier than that-- but it fits me better and is more comfortable. So, a more comfortable pack is more important than a lighter one for me.

Images

I have a number of gear list spreadsheets that got me from 40 lbs to 13-15 lbs. If interested send me a pm with your email (large files) . Good luck....

I am not going to even weigh my pack and gear, nope!

I will / am just going to buy comfortable, durable, quality gear and use it. I will keep it as minimal as I feel comfortable and run with it.

if I notice I don't use something I will get rid of it, if I feel I need something I will add it.

Being a hunter that does a lot of overnights [sometimes for 3 or 4 days] it all becomes irrelevant when you add the carrying of a ten plus pounds of gun and ammo. Just the fact that I will not have that extra weight will be enough for me!

RUNT ''13''

My 3-season pack includes my 16 oz. JetBoil. I even carry a digital camera.

With my relaxed-fit tights, silkweghts bottoms and Icebreaker top, etal. and cuben "plastic" tarp before food, water, and fuel total is 13.1 lbs. for my 3-season backpack. I am not starting out on snow, however.

There is no reason to for me shiver, nevertheless, if the temperature drops to 20 F.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22273

I am looking more to add a rain wear, perhaps a LightHeart Gear Rain Skirt and Hoodie Pack cover.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    My 3-season pack includes my 16 oz. JetBoil. I even carry a digital camera.

With my relaxed-fit tights, silkweghts bottoms and Icebreaker top, etal. and cuben "plastic" tarp before food, water, and fuel total is 13.1 lbs. for my 3-season backpack. I am not starting out on snow, however.

There is no reason to for me shiver, nevertheless, if the temperature drops to 20 F.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22273

I am looking more to add a rain wear, perhaps a LightHeart Gear Rain Skirt and Hoodie Pack cover.

Nice chart, and dang, I can't come close to that

Images

PLEASE, don't let the heavyweights on here try to talk you out of reducing your weight. Sure, lots of folks have been "successful" with heavy packs, but your odds improve with a lighter, but still fully-equipped pack, and what's much more important, the lighter the pack the happier you are on the trail, er, hiking. Wanna have fun? Reduce your pack weight. Lots of grumpy-gus's out there who wind up being "successful" but are not particularly happy when hiking.

You're big 3 really ain't all that bad considering your pack's weight and your non-down restriction, work on the other junk, and see what you can do.

We haven't seen your list.

At 20 lbs. you are ahead of a lot of people on their weight carried.

I will tell you: I found out about coupons, here, in the forum.

I signed up email with Sierra Trading Post, for example; I have combined special offers and coupons. I got 67% off 2 expensive items, one I even sent on an RMA (free return) for a different size.

I paid full retail on few items.

The stores ask for your email, then, send special offers.

REI membership sales are often better then the REI dividends.

Did you seen the video on the front page of my website (see signature: Do more with less)?

I hope you are not carrying a big honking knife w/sheath and Molle gear!

I don't carry a knife.

No big heavy boots lifting 1 lb. or more, at every step?

I wear hiking shoes.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-22-2015 at 17:57.

This has been said before, but I'll say it again. Only you can answer the question on if it is acceptable weight. Are you happy with the weight? Can you travel lighter, of course you can. Would you be happier, maybe. Hiking lighter does mean you will make it any more than hiking with extra weight will give you less of a chance. The trail has been done will less than a 5 pound baseweight where others have hiked with 65 pounds the whole way. Bottom line is what do you want from your hike? If you plan on spending more time camping, then 22 pounds might be a good weight. If you are planning on spend more time hiking and less time camping well then lighten your pack. It really up to you.

Wolf

I'll take a guess where your excess weight (if any) is.

1. Duplicate clothes
    2. "Emergency" gear
    3. Cooking gear

Just a thought
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Dont sweat it.
    You will have lots of opportunities to lighten once on trail.
    You will figure out what you need ,dont, and want to replace by Hot Springs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++