WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best time of year to hike JMT?

I'm sure this probably been addrssed before but what would you considered the best time to do a thru on the JMT? also, at the risk of sounding stupid is the JMT the same trail as the High Seirra Trail?

The High Sierra Trail goes perpendicular to the JMT. You can hike East thru Sequoia Nat'l Park to the JMT on the High Sierra Trail. It is like 50 miles. High Sierra is on my "to do" list.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisi...erra-trail.htm

I like September because it is less crowded and easier to get permits. But July and August are probably the most popular.

Images

I second September. Still plenty warm, even up high. Our first trip was late July into early August. fine, but a tad crowded. Our second trip, doing just the northern half we started in late September, heading north from Bishop to Yosemite, perfect weather, not crowded, except of course when we got into Yosemite. We generally liked the later-date trip better, fewer people, still near perfect weather, crisp but not-too-cold nights.

I plan on a repeat next year starting in early September myself (northbound), and will try to time it to arrive in Yosemite on a Monday or Tuesday (to hopefully minimize crowds) in late September.

I like September for any trip to the Sierra Nevada: less crowds, no bugs, low water at fords. Nights can be cold though.

High Sierra Trail starts in Sequoia National Park and ends at the JMT just before Crabtree Meadow. Most people hop on the JMT to hike up Mt. Whitney and exit out the Portal since you can't end a trip in the middle of a wilderness. Unlike the JMT, the HST allows you to see the mighty giant Sequoia tree which are on the western side of the Sierra Nevada while the JMT stays to the eastern side. The JMT goes between Yosemite Valley and Mt. Whitney. Other then the last part about climbing Mt. Whitney, the two trails are not the same.

The High Sierra Route runs parallel to the JMT and is part of the JMT for part of the way.... Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_High_Route

I watched a couple of videos on the HST and it looked pretty amazing! I didn't see a section on it on the other long trails section on Whiteblaze so I thought maybe the two were the same. I'll have to watch some vieeo of the JMT also. Gotta add them to my bucket list!

Any likelyhood of snow in the High Seirra on September? I would think so just because of the elevation. We get it here in the Whites in NH is September and they're much lower although much further north.

The west doesn't get real storm systems very often during the summer months. Thunderstorms are another matter though their frequency is a lot lower in September then July/August. Snow is possible in September but not likely. October is usually the month you start to see snow. That said, I did get a few inches on the 19th of September one year though it melted off quickly afterwards.

Sept into early Oct is my favorite time for the JMT and HST. It's been known to snow every month of the yr in the Sierras. Personally I like the Sierras with some snow cover especially upon the high peaks and passes and some chill in the air. Makes it even more scenic, adventuresome, and bit more challenging.

While you don't experience the giant redwoods directly while on the JMT it's not logistically difficult even without your own car to take in the Giant Sequoias as part of a short side day or 1/2 day trip on a JMT hike. Just outside Yosemite NP's western entrance is the Mariposa Grove in Wawona easily visited on the way into Yosemite Valley(Happy Isles/JMT northern terminus) or from YV. And, from Tuolomne Meadows(TM Country Store/ USPO/Snack bar) it's a short hitch or bus ride to the Tuolomne and Merced Groves in the Crane Flats area. I've done these groves several times as part of JMT, PCT, SHR, Yosemite Valley and other Sierra's hikes. These groves never fail to impress and awe my senses. The Giant Forest, including the General Sherman Giant Redwood, the largest single-trunked living tree on earth, is definitely impressive at the western end of the High Sierra Route and Sierra High Route. Don't confuse the HSR and SHR. Two different hikes.

Journal Entries

The best time depends on your preferences and the winters snowpack.

June- high snow usually, possible routefinding with miles over snow, sketchy crossing on southside of Forester pass, raging creek crossings, water= likelyhood of mosquitos
    July - minimal snow usually except near passes, clear trail usually, lower water crossings, some mosquitos
    August - snows gone, clear trail, no bugs, ankle deep crossings, water sources may be starting to dry up
    Sept- splendid, cold nights, increasing possibility of early snowfall
    Oct - snow, chance of serious snow

Last winter was very dry, so last summer July was like August usually is, not a trace of snow. However, it was more rainy than usual, and on Aug 3 or so, Whitney got 2' of the white stuff keeping some from summiting. You can just never tell. It can snow at high elevation, any day of the year. It just wont stick around long. I summited whitney on Aug.1, ahead of the weather, fortunately. The people the next day did it in rain. The day after some people had to bail off the trail.

Whitney from Lone Pine during the snow:

ATT_1422068690936_IMG_20140803_194021.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-23-2015 at 23:25.

Journal Entries
    Images

For me, I started twice the 3rd week of August into September, no bugs, less crowds & less rain/afternoon storms. It wasn't too cold (upper 30s at night) so we camped as high as we could & really enjoyed many nights of cowboying.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Another vote for September. Actually going this year the secondf week of September.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    The High Sierra Route runs parallel to the JMT and is part of the JMT for part of the way.... Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_High_Route
    wow, wow, WOW! I had never even heard of this route, it is now on my near-term list of things to do. Looks spec-damn-tacular, thanks! Looks like this one will require quite a bit more planning that the JMT though, but that makes it all the more fun IMHO.

Ditto end of Aug beg of Sept

Thru'd at the end of August/beginning of September. The weather was incredible. Crisp cool mornings, not a cloud in the sky. Had rain for ~4 hours the whole trip. The rest of the time it was gorgeous. I've honestly never seen weather like that.

In light of the new restrictions just put in place, I'd like to change my previous answer. The JMT is best hiked in July/August. You don't want to be caught dead on the trail in September. You could seriously die if on the trail then. And I don't have any selfish reasons for my sudden revelation on the dangers of fall on the JMT.

We hiked the JMT SOBO this past year in early September. Was great. I can't comment on other seasons. I picked early September to have no bugs and less people and good temps to hike in and low risk of snow. All of this came to pass. You can have a weather issue develop in the mountains anytime of year; the later you go the more you are taking a chance on bad weather (ie snow), but early September seems a good compromise to me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

The best time is quickly becoming anytime you can get a permit.

How late are reds, tul, mtr open for re supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

RM "We will be open approximately late May to September 30, 2015" http://www.redsmeadow.com/

TM @ 9/27 http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmcamp.htm

MTR Not sure? http://www.muirtrailranch.com/
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++