WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hip pockets, whatever. Nothing particular. Sometimes a snack, maybe the camera when it's warm. I keep a little Joby Gorillapod in one shoulder strap pocket. Sometimes put a Sawyer Mini and straw in the other when I'm hiking where there's lots of water-then I just drink directly instead of carrying any. That's not really a regular thing. I wear a ZPacks Multi-Pack as a chest pack(really over my belly) when it's cool to cold weather, and it holds the stuff I would put in a lid. I'd use the lid if I needed more room-say if I decided to do a weeklong trip in warm weather, then my "top layer" would be in the lid to make room for food.

Images

I line my pack with a heavy-duty garbage bag, put all my fluffy stuff and clothes in it, push down and compress the stuff and get most of the air out, twist the bag and fold the end over. Sack acts as a compression dry bag. I can compress the bulky clothes, sleeping bag, quilts, etc and use up every bit of space in the bottom of the pack. Stuff sacks leave little bits of unused space; the round peg in a square hole kind of thing. Bonus with this system: It saves the weight of all those stuff bags. You do have to use the last in first out or first in last out mode of packing. Have used this system for several years and it works very well for me.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Similar to the above comment, I use a compactor trash bag in the bottom of my pack, my sleeping bag goes in there, (in a compression stuff sack) then I pack my clothes into the spaces around it. Anything else that absolutely cannot get wet foes inside the compactor bag, then I fold it over and roll it closed. next my heavy stuff - food, stove etc goes in. My tent goes on top because when I stop for the night, the first thing I need to get out is my tent. also, if it gets wet overnight, and I want to dry it out during the day, it's right there on top. Food- lunch, snacks are on top somewhere easily accessible, and rain gear where I can quickly get to it. Women generally do better with the heavy stuff (food and water) at their lower back and close to the back, men can carry the heavy stuff higher up - we have different centers of gravity so the balance is different. You CAN put your tent on the outside if you want to, but if you can fit it inside, there is less likelihood of damage to it
    Agree. Everything in a compactor trash bag on the bottom. Food and tent on top of compactor trash bag.

Osprey EXOS 58 pack
    1. Silnylon front "wet rib" pouch W/bottle holder by "Seek Outside" (May be out of production now.)-> Great for maps, compass, GPS & water purification gear
    2. Granite Gear sizeMedium side pockets -> For "need now" gear like potty kit, 1st aid kit, stove kit, etc.
    3. Captive bottom straps -> If I need to pack my Thermarest outside B/C of a bear can inside.

The bottom straps for the mattress is the ONLY thing I strap outside the pack that is not a pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++