WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can I borrow your ???

So what's the weirdest "can I borrow your ???" you've ever had? Can I borrow your stove? Can I have some of your food? Can I use your water filter? All my clothes are wet do you have anything dry I can wear? Can I borrow your underwear? etc.

Can I borrow your sleeping bag? Mine is soaked through from rain.

Your sleeping bag is dry. (Girl Scouts)

can I barrow your finger to tie a bow...

Can I borrow your spork? I lost mine and need to dig a cathole. (Only kidding).

"Can I borrow your cell phone? I wanted to save weight and didn't bring mine and have some calls I need to make."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I many times over the years I have let people borrow my lighter to light their stove and never thought much of it...

Then I read a post on WB a while back where someone mentioned knowing ULers that would purposely not bring one because they knew that someone like me would almost always be around at the shelter site. I don't know if there's any truth to this, but it really did make me wonder.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A guy who bragged at springer he as going "cold" food. No stove , no fuel, to save weight, At Hawk the next night begging folks to heat water for him so he could have his tea. The replys were very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I many times over the years I have let people borrow my lighter to light their stove and never thought much of it...

Then I read a post on WB a while back where someone mentioned knowing ULers that would purposely not bring one because they knew that someone like me would almost always be around at the shelter site. I don't know if there's any truth to this, but it really did make me wonder.
    Wow, this is so common I never though of it in this context.

I've asked day hikers if I could borrow their car for a quick trip to a store. You can guess the answer.

Although once a day hiker offered to let me use his car after chatting with him for a bit, an offer I took. Just left the key on the front wheel when I got back. That was unusual trail magic.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I have had many hikers ask to see my map and guidebook. I guess those items are too heavy to carry, perhaps I should leave them at home?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

I had an UL moron on my thru hike who did not carry a 1st aid kit. twice he borrowed stuff from me to treat blisters. After the second time, i told him that was it - he could either carry his own or do without. some of those clowns want their cake and eat it, too. As i have said, that whole "movement" has caused some (not all) to make some very poor decisions.

Big Cranky; I think you should carry maps and a guide book, both have very useful info. Just don't lend them out. Give them the ATC's phone number instead so they can buy and carry their own. That's my plan.

I was at the 1987 National Rainbow Gathering in NC and camping in the Nantahala NF with thousands of other folk. It was night and I was hiking back to our camp. A rainbow asked to borrow my flashlight. NO WAY. Once your light is borrowed it is lost forever and you're groping in the woods.

Journal Entries

Never been asked to borrow anything really. I have helped out people with nonfunctioning filters though. I have offered items when mine was simply closer than others.

I was asked for a map once. A well known world-class ultrarunner was making low-key unsupported record attempt on a trail, and bailing out. Their own map didnt cover the bailout route . I had one that was a bit better.

"Dude, can I get a squeeze off your toothpaste?"

One guy chose to not carry toilet paper, we couldn't refuse but shamed him into getting some at the next town. Another guy would drop his poncho a few hundred yards coming out of the shelter knowing someone would pick it up and carry it to the next shelter. The third time I carried it back to the shelter.

Could we borrow your cookset and utensils, asked a delegation of campers, who were hitting up all the backpackers they could find. Their counselors forgot to pack them.

People who don't carry some type of first aid kid, lighter, toothpaste, etc are not ultralight enthusiast, their stupid light.

On that note, I once had a guy beg me for some tp cause he was giving the whole no toilet paper thing a try. He was on his 3rd day before he gave up. Funny thing was, I only had a handfull of tp left and one of those action body wipes. I gave him the action body wipe because he was sincere, and had three more days to town till he could cure his monkey butt.

Poor fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    "Dude, can I get a squeeze off your toothpaste?"
    As long as they don't ask to use your toothbrush.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++