WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please Recommend a Travel Backpack?

I'm UL, my other half is not. Looking for a panel loading luggage backpack for airport-->hotel-->train in Europe.

Volume needs to be in the 60L range, sized to fit a 5'5" woman. Will have to be checked, so all straps should be able to tuck away (even though I usually just put my bag in a black trashbag as a security precaution.

This Osprey has some good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.rei.com/product/870899/os...pack#tab-specs

Cheap & simple is the way I want to go.

Any have any good suggestions?
    Thanks -Frisbee

I use use two packs from deuter. The act 70+10 and the traveler for what you are wanting to do. Very well made but carry a little more weight than the ul packs for the sturdiness though. The 70 + 10 is a monster and the smaller one would prob be a better fit for you. I'm 5'8" at 175 and it fits me well though. Also have carried it on a few overnights and carried well. I bought both at same time and can't give up either. I live out of the 70 + 10 on my job though. It carries my tent, sleeping bag and camping stuff plus my work clothes with a zip off day/computer pack.

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    I'm UL, my other half is not. Looking for a panel loading luggage backpack for airport-->hotel-->train in Europe.

Volume needs to be in the 60L range, sized to fit a 5'5" woman. Will have to be checked, so all straps should be able to tuck away (even though I usually just put my bag in a black trashbag as a security precaution.

This Osprey has some good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.rei.com/product/870899/os...pack#tab-specs

Cheap & simple is the way I want to go.

Any have any good suggestions?
    Thanks -Frisbee

I meant the quantum. Not the ACT. One is better for trains due to being tall narrow vs short/wide.

Connie--Thanks for the link (I actually saw it in my research). I found those bags a little small and too professional/costly for my other (but perfect for me, except I like my ULA).

Just pulled the trigger of the Porter 65 (it's on sale for $83) - if she doesn't like it, I'll return it. Apparently the shoulder straps are not very good (a poor combination when you don't have a decent hipbelt), but I suspect for our purposes, it will work. If we do something more serious, I'll carry the weight.

Is this it?
    http://m.rei.com/product/870899/ospr...FVJcfgodQ2cAcQ

I like s-curve shoulder straps.

I think many women like the s-curve shoulder straps on a backpack.

You called it well: "apparently the shoulder straps are not very good (a poor combination when you don't have a decent hipbelt), but I suspect for our purposes, it will work. If we do something more serious, I'll carry the weight!"

Be careful. As a ULer monitor your SF as she will very likely attempt to over weight and over pack the Porter 65 L Frisbee. It has a rather dismal hip belt/wt transfer to the hips with a heavy full load and dismal shoulder strap comfort/padding for long carrying durations IMHO too. Don't let her attempt to haul the house Frisbee or not only her but also you will likely regret it over a long term haul/carry/travel experience. Zippers can be a weak spot on traveling packs when attempting to over pack too. It sucks losing zippered storage volume on a long trip as a result too.

Depending on where I'm going and when I anticipate buying stuff along my travels I always like to leave a bit of access volume in my backpacks to accommodate such purchases. Consider playing that perspective up as you somewhat firmly monitor her packing. Don't get yourself in the doghouse though when doing it.

That savvy backpacker link brings up good pts but with some thoughtfulness to seeking solutions to the potential issues/differences between traveling and hiking backpacks mentioned I've largely been able to travel with the same backpacks as my UL hiking backpacks practically seamlessly. Good price for that Osprey Porter though.

I've had good experiences with MEI equipment made by Genuine Gear. I've used both the Voyageur and the Executive Overnighter on overseas trips and have found them them to be well made and having a very good backpack harness. While both the Voyageur and the EO are carry-on size, GG has larger sized pieces. GG will also modify their equipment for you.

http://www.meipacks.com/

They are costly, but Tortuga backpacks are the ultimate in travel. They arent pretty but are great for travel. http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/prod...ravel-backpack

The Porter 65 just arrived. Not much more than a duffel bag with shoulder straps. It will work for our purposes (very light travel planes-->trains), but I definitely wouldn't want to use it for serious travel. The straps are terribly thin for any significant weight.

My 6-month world trips are over with for a while, but I'd definitely checkout the Tortuga. Actually, I'd probably have Zpacks sew me something custom and light.

There is no backpack I would lift by the straps, except the most lightweight loaded backpack.

Is there a hauler loop near where the top of the shoulder straps?

Grasp the hauler loop to lift the pack to insert arms thru the shoulder straps one at a time.

One handed carry of a backpack should use the hauler loop.

Is there no hauler loop?

++ New Posts ++