Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Looking for other Ladies for NOBO Thru Hike May 1st 2016

I'm hoping to start NOBO on May 1st 2016. I'll be 23 then. I'm hoping to do a thru hike. Hoping it will take 4-5 months. Starting slow and pacing myself and hopefully get faster as I go. Any other girls in my age range looking to leave about the same time? I'd love to travel with another girl or two for safety reasons! Let me know!

Hey lady, I will be starting my NOBO trek Mid April of 2016, solo with my 2 dogs. Hopefully we will meet up somewhere along the trail! I will be 29 then, and am hoping to complete the trail in 5 months!

Hey 2dogs1girl,

I would have wanted to leave in April, but my best friend is getting married April 2016 so I can't start until May. Hopefully we do meet up! I love dogs

WanderGirl, I guess you can't miss your best friend's wedding! =) They are good dogs! I will keep in touch with you in case I push my start date back, but hopefully we will run into each other out there! Keep an eye out for 2 black and white dogs together and that will be us! Good luck with all your prep work.

You might consider a flip flop starting in the middle for a May 1 start. Although it seems like most of us doing that this year are from the older crowd.

I plan on beginning my hike next May as well. I'll also be 23 and just graduating from college. Like squeezebox said, I'll most like be planning a flip flop hike because of the possibility of not making it to Katahdin in time.

Thanks for the responses! As someone who's never hiked the AT before, I'd love to hear your advice: Is it possible for me to make the whole trail NOBO starting May 1st and make it to Katahdin before it's impassable/closes? I thought I would be able to make it before October 15th, but is it impossible to climb due to snow before that date?

Shouldn't have a problem with snow on Katahdin that early. At least not enough to prohibit summitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thank you PennyPincher!

Quote Originally Posted by WanderGirl View Post
    Thanks for the responses! As someone who's never hiked the AT before, I'd love to hear your advice: Is it possible for me to make the whole trail NOBO starting May 1st and make it to Katahdin before it's impassable/closes? I thought I would be able to make it before October 15th, but is it impossible to climb due to snow before that date?
    Starting May 1st still gives you 5 1/2 months to finish. You really have to slack off to run out of time. The advantage of starting that late is you miss most, if not all the bad spring weather, which means an easier time at the beginning. The disadvantage is it will get wicked hot and muggy sooner which can be as bad or worse then the cold, rainy weather of early spring.

I used climb Katahdin with some friends the last weekend of the fall season. After 4 years of this we stopped going as it was always iffy that weekend and we'd have to talk the Rangers into letting us up there. Once into October, the weather is hit or miss in Central Maine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hi! I'm also planning on starting NOBO at the very beginning of May 2016, as soon as I finish my finals.

Miaublau,

Thanks for letting me know! We should talk when it gets a bit closer - maybe we can hike together! We have the same start date.

PS: Thank you for the helpful information, Slo-go'en!

Default Flip flop?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You might consider a flip flop starting in the middle for a May 1 start. Although it seems like most of us doing that this year are from the older crowd.
    Is there a group starting May 1 in Harper's Ferry? I am 41 and not in prime condition, but I am hoping to do a flip flop starting in HF leaving in April or May. Are you ladies going north or south?

WanderGirl-- for sure! I think it'd be great to put a little group together. I dunno how people go about doing that.

cvmseiffert,

I am going North, and I'm going to hike straight through rather than do a flip flop.

Miaublau,

I'm not sure either. I was planning on doing more research into that when the start date grows a bit closer. I was hoping to check sites such as this one for advice people have to offer on forming groups!

Quote Originally Posted by miaublau View Post
    WanderGirl-- for sure! I think it'd be great to put a little group together. I dunno how people go about doing that.
    Miaublau,

I found this spreadsheet on this forum site with people's direction and start date for 2015. Here's hoping there will be one for 2016 as well so that maybe we can form a small group of people with a similar start date and aim!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2015thruhikers

If you are starting May1 there are a lot of reasons to consider a flip flop. Check out the trail journals of us doing it this year.

WanderGirl - oh wow! I had no idea about that, but that would be really great to have for next year. I'm already ready to get out there.

Hello all!!

I'm also interested in finding a partner for April 2016 (possibly 2015). Flexible dates of course, and we wouldn't have to keep with eachothers pace, just met up periodically so my mom can sleep at night. I love dogs so all is good there. If anyone is interested in chatting or planning feel free to message please

I'm a 24 yo female living in Pa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++