WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Road trip to the Rockies

With the low gas prices, instead of doing yet another AT hike I'm thinking about doing a road trip out to the Rockies this summer for a couple of months. Probably August and September. Do an National Park tour, spending a week or two of hiking at each one. Glacier, Tetons, Rocky Mt NP and so on. Would love to see the Grand Canyon too.

It would be nice to have a traveling companion, if you got some time to kill and money to spend. Two can travel cheaper then one on a trip like this. I know finding the right person is a real long shot, but worth a try...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would suggest you do a Yellowstone NP thru-hike I did it back in 2003 awesome experience best back country experience i have had thus far, the rest of those places don't even come close in comparison.

If you're going to go to Glacier and have your passport (or passport card) consider driving up to Banff/Yoho National Parks in Canada. It's about 4 1/2 hours from Glacier. Most beautiful country I've ever been in, nothing compares. The towns of Banff and Lake Louise are extremely touristy (both within Banff national park). Yoho and Jasper national parks (Kootenay National Park rounds out a grid of bordering parks) are much quieter in my opinion but with any of the trails in the area, if you go a mile past the trailhead you basically have it to yourself.

If you have plenty of time consider spending a day in the town of Banff, so many good places to eat!
    Last edited by Onda Road Again; 01-30-2015 at 10:58.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Onda Road Again View Post
    If you're going to go to Glacier and have your passport (or passport card) consider driving up to Banff/Yoho National Parks in Canada. It's about 4 1/2 hours from Glacier. Most beautiful country I've ever been in, nothing compares. The towns of Banff and Lake Louise are extremely touristy (both within Banff national park). Yoho and Jasper national parks (Kootenay National Park rounds out a grid of bordering parks) are much quieter in my opinion but with any of the trails in the area, if you go a mile past the trailhead you basically have it to yourself.

If you have plenty of time consider spending a day in the town of Banff, so many good places to eat!
    Have to agree that Alberta is gorgeous! If you go up that way, cross over to British Columbia and see Takakkaw Falls.

Jasper is one of my favorite places. Much less touristy than Banff or Lake Louise and there are some great rental cabins in the area for those who don't want to camp.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Jasper is one of my favorite places. Much less touristy than Banff or Lake Louise and there are some great rental cabins in the area for those who don't want to camp.
    Wish we would have made it up to Jasper more (just drove up the parkway a little ways). My wife and I went for our honeymoon last September so we spent half our time doing the touristy stuff and half the time hiking. Ever since we've gotten back all we talk about is wishing we hiked the whole time! Unfortunately the weather was crappy, didn't see 40 degrees for 4 days and cloud cover was below the peaks half the time. Will be going back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Have to agree that Alberta is gorgeous! If you go up that way, cross over to British Columbia and see Takakkaw Falls.
    Definitely a must see! A nice hike from this trailhead will lead you past laughing falls and twin falls (pictured below) as well. About 9 miles round trip.

1_55.jpg

Images

if u do grand canyon also look in to bryce and zion. zion is the best non forest hiking i have ever had.

are u a teacher. this sounds like what i do every summer. i have done about ten cross country road trips.

i have some advice is this is the case. especially about how to save money.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

I think I've put this trip on hold for now. It was an expensive winter and I should stick closer to home this summer.

I did a hike through Glacier 2 years ago. I once spent a whole summer hiking in Yellowstone and the near-by area. I've done two, month long trips into the Canadian Rockies in Alberta, hiking from Banff to Jasper. But I haven't been west of the Rockies or in the south west. I do need to get out there before I get too old and feeble and there are still a few trees standing which haven't been burnt down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think I've put this trip on hold for now. It was an expensive winter and I should stick closer to home this summer.
    I do need to get out there before I get too old and feeble and there are still a few trees standing which haven't been burnt down.
    Hi Slo,

If you change your mind about western road trip hiking next year, keep me in mind. Glad to chat more about it privately too if you want to now while your ideas are fresh. My main consideration is that I don't usually stay out longer than 4 weeks.
    Edwin

++ New Posts ++