WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Lyme disease

Default Lyme disease

I just got finished reading most of what the CDC has to say about Lyme disease. Pretty scary stuff. 20% of people don't show primary symptoms. Secondary symptoms can be pretty disabilitating, Protect yourself and read the CDC articles.

The CDC's information is horribly inaccurate and does not reflect important research produced over the past 20 years. For accurate information I would recommend Lymedisease.org.

Journal Entries

I had it and showed no symptoms except for a strange headache. I was told I had all the markers and I had it for more than five years. I find this a bit hard to believe but my doctor put me on antibiotics and now he told me that I am immune. I had someone with me that would verify that. Lucky I did not have any nerve or other damage. The Lyme was uncovered by accident since I was screened "just in case" I'm still going to take precautions.

Now, here is the big question: it seems that the bugs are becoming immune to the DEET. Could this be possible? I have bought two different brands and they just don't seem to be working as well as they used to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Now, here is the big question: it seems that the bugs are becoming immune to the DEET. Could this be possible? I have bought two different brands and they just don't seem to be working as well as they used to.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...sure-22807157/

I would not say that bugs are becoming immune, but that a study has shown that some mosquitos become habituated to deet.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Knowing what I know now I think I would carry doxicyclene. It is what is used to treat lyme. It is safe enough that it is used to prevent malaria. Only side effect is a sensitivity to sunlight, not a big problem on the trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...sure-22807157/

I would not say that bugs are becoming immune, but that a study has shown that some mosquitos become habituated to deet.
    Great article. I wonder if ticks are the same way.

Knowing what I know now I think I would carry doxicyclene. It is what is used to treat lyme. It is safe enough that it is used to prevent malaria. Only side effect is a sensitivity to sunlight, not a big problem on the trail.

That's what was given to me for 28 days. At first I was told it's a false positive so nothing to worry about. Then the NYC dept. of health got involved and sent a letter stating that
    they got a blood sample and told the doctor I had all the markers for the Lyme. That meant ALL 10.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I had it and showed no symptoms except for a strange headache. I was told I had all the markers and I had it for more than five years. I find this a bit hard to believe but my doctor put me on antibiotics and now he told me that I am immune. I had someone with me that would verify that. Lucky I did not have any nerve or other damage. The Lyme was uncovered by accident since I was screened "just in case" I'm still going to take precautions.

Lyme Disease took me out in 2010 after some 1200 miles into a NOBO thru-hike..I went from hiking up mountains with thirty pounds on my back to being unable to climb fourteen stairs at my home without resting half way up. I went through two prescriptions of antibiotics after discovering a big bulls eye on my lower back. Immunity? I have been told that it will always be in my system.Whether it is possible to get bit again and contract a lighter/heavier dose of Lyme is debatable.

I have yet to find a tick on my person. I hiked 400 miles last year. What are the chances that I didn't pick up a single tick? I am worried I simply didn't find them vs didn't get them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I have yet to find a tick on my person. I hiked 400 miles last year. What are the chances that I didn't pick up a single tick? I am worried I simply didn't find them vs didn't get them.
    I don't know about your chances. You may have picked one up. You don't always get Lyme from all the ticks. You may not even see one especially if it's a nymph (no off color jokes now). They are pretty small and hard to spot.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    It all depends where you hike. Ticks climb on grasses and branches in areas where animal frequent such as trails and then catch onto the animals as they pass by. In well groomed forest trails where you are not making contact with undergrowth, you have a reasonable chance of not having any ticks attach to you. On the other hand if you are pushing through overgrown trails full of tall grass, brush or japanese barberry, then your chances increase dramatically (my record is 27 ticks in one day on a local trail, 65 if you include the ones I pulled off my dog)

Lyme ain't fun, I've been treated for it three times in the last 11 years.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Lyme Disease took me out in 2010 after some 1200 miles into a NOBO thru-hike..I went from hiking up mountains with thirty pounds on my back to being unable to climb fourteen stairs at my home without resting half way up. I went through two prescriptions of antibiotics after discovering a big bulls eye on my lower back. Immunity? I have been told that it will always be in my system.Whether it is possible to get bit again and contract a lighter/heavier dose of Lyme is debatable.
    Permethrin treated cloths are your best defense. 150 days on my 2013 SOBO and never pulled off a single tick using Insect Shield clothing. There may be as many as 200 different strains of the Borrelia bacteria that causes Lyme and Lyme-like infections. Immunity is highly unlikely...please take precautions and enjoy your hikes!

Interesting article on bee stings and Lyme disease. I'm not saying I agree with it, but then again as someone who believes they may have chronic Lyme disease, I just may give it a try...not really.

I've given up on doctors, but I do feel as though I'm beating this (whatever it is). http://mosaicscience.com/story/how-b...oison-medicine

Journal Entries

Got bite by a tick in 2011, Got the bullseye rash. Took doxicyclene and never felt any symptoms. Won't trust any lyme info that's not backed up with published peer review research.

++ New Posts ++