WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Katie Bar the Door - Storm Coming!

FYI to anyone who's not near a TV or radio, and to those who have suffered through to mid winter with crappy snowshoeing and trail conditions due to ice storms.... theres a whopper storm coming into the Northeast. Projected totals are all over the place, ranging from 15" to 30", a lot depends on storm track and duration. Suffice to say, 2" to 4" per hour fall rate over a 6 to 8 hours will put a lot of snow down.

I hope no one is caught unprepared on a trail in this storm, which is touted as being the most powerful in several years.

Yes, it's going to be fun fun fun, unless it fizzles. We are setting up for indoor winter camping, just in case. Firewood in, candles, drinking water in big plastic cubes, flushing water in joint compound buckets and bathtub, etc., etc. Just hoping the power stays on so we won't have to drain the pipes.

Good luck you north easters.. Stay safe and warm.

Images

One of my favorite Larson cartoons. http://www.funpic.hu/en/categories/g...ition=&large=1

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Yes, it's going to be fun fun fun, unless it fizzles. We are setting up for indoor winter camping, just in case. Firewood in, candles, drinking water in big plastic cubes, flushing water in joint compound buckets and bathtub, etc., etc. Just hoping the power stays on so we won't have to drain the pipes.
    in-land Jersey, maybe...Conneticut? your ****ed

We can only hope. It would be nice to have a decent snow storm for a change, I haven't gotten nearly enough exercise this winter. Although the more the hype these storms the less likely they amount to much. Maybe it will track a little inland so we'll get a good amount here in the mountains instead of it all being on the coast - or New Jersey!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    We can only hope. It would be nice to have a decent snow storm for a change, I haven't gotten nearly enough exercise this winter. Although the more the hype these storms the less likely they amount to much. Maybe it will track a little inland so we'll get a good amount here in the mountains instead of it all being on the coast - or New Jersey!
    yeah we've had our share in the past, this looks to be a mainly New York and onward N.England thing. I'd be surprised if joisey gets 8" but for the coastal areas and extreme northern, that's my hope anyway. My kid needs a break.

There was a winter storm warning on Saturday along the coast of Mass, Me and NH. I went hiking up Mt Hale just north of Zealand Hut. It was obscured sun on the top and not a speck of snow on the entire hike until we got back to the trailhead. We did use snowshoes to "groom" the trail on the way down and to cut some occasional switchbacks plus I used the snowshoes yesterday for roaming in the woods so there is snow in the whites but no where near what there should be.

I expect I will get a normal storm in the northern whites but it does look like the coast will get hammered. With all the transplants "from away" them folks on the coast just don't know how to handle this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You know how the weather maps show the different colors: green for rain, pink for sleet, red for snow? Well the map this AM showed deep reddish, purple for Providence, RI. We are going to get slammed!

Predictions are from 10 to 36 inches of snow, depending on your location.

Stocked up on bread and milk, got my hot chocolate ready and consulted my TV listings...I'm ready!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Judging from the people I talked to today--- 'WE ARE DOOMED, SAVE YOURSELF, OH - THE HUMANITY!!!'

Geez, I can remember when being a New Englander really meant something.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There's a blizzard coming to RI...Gotta Get the Bread and Milk !!!!

The snow has started to fall, and I've had 3 things on my mind:

1) Harriman is going to be even worse than it was on MLK weekend, and we will probably never get there this season.

2) I wonder if Tipi is planning a trip to celebrate this storm.

3) I'm a Rhode Islander, therefore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU&app=desktop
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post

Ain't nuthing going on around here (East TN) except a lil' drizzle and maybe a flurry 'r two. From what I've seen so far, Tipi likes to stay close to home.
    But now the extended forecast is showing 1-3 inches of snow next Sunday night, just in time for Groundhog Day! Maybe that will amount to several inches in the hills hereabouts. I could definitely see him out in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    The snow has started to fall, and I've had 3 things on my mind:

1) Harriman is going to be even worse than it was on MLK weekend, and we will probably never get there this season.

3) I'm a Rhode Islander, therefore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU&app=desktop
    The good news: Snacktime is going to get a couple of snow days off from school!

The bad news: Snacktime will be making it up in the summer!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    The good news: Snacktime is going to get a couple of snow days off from school!

The bad news: Snacktime will be making it up in the summer!

A couple of overnighters will take care of the snowdays. He gets school credit for the phys ed, and for anything educational we do along the way . (The trail is FULL of educational opportunities: science, geography, history, etc.)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Shoveled 2" off the sidewalk before work this AM. Did 3 more after work. The snowblowed the driveway for the fun of it, remembering how much easier it is than shoveling. One of the best toys I ever bought. 29* in Pittsburgh, 5" on the ground and a little more coming.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

time to break out the snow shoes!!!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

We went for a walk around the neighborhood around 7pm....the time it was all supposed to start around here. It wasn't one of those pleasant jaunts on a snowy evening, but a cold, wet, windy outing. I'd hate to be out on the trail in this.

I feel like 100x more bread and milk is consumed during a blizzard day than a non-blizzard day. I understand canned foods in case the power goes out but I'll never understand the bread/eggs/milk unless people just love french toast during blizzards.

I hope Tipi came up to the berkshires to backpack in this storm.

Images

I haven't seen anything from Tipi lately.
    Greg P.

As of 5 am this morning in northwestern CT, we have just about 10" of snow down, should be another by end of day to a total just under 24" here at the house. By learned estimations and consensus of my trail pals, the current guesstimation of snowfall on the AT in CT is from about 8" at the southern end, to about 12"-15" in at the CT/MA border. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Snow is very dry and light. Getting the big floating snowshoes ready to play in natures bounty the minute it stops!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++