WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No liners here. I never got in the habit, and my feet are happy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    Injini tor liners with darn toughs work for me. The toe socks eliminate friction between the toes .
    ditto for me ... BUT I think it makes a difference if you are using boots or trail runners too....

Journal Entries

True, what Del Q said: nylon "knee highs" and regular or Army socks has prevented blisters for many SF soldiers that I've served with.

I'm thinking of going with a very thin rub of vasoline to reduce friction. But would that soften the skin and promote blisters instead of reduce? Foot powder. Wool toe socks. Darn tough over those. If my feet get too hot and sweaty in the summer drop either the liner or outer socks. See what happens.
    Really interested in trying Leukotape. Do Not use duct tape, holds in moisture pulls off loose skin. Athletic tape or as many have said Leuko tape.
    MHO

I have never, ever had even a hint of a blister, and always wore liner socks with wool socks over them. Last time I bought hiking shoes - and I say "shoes" because I'd always worn boots with ankle support - I bought what people now are calling "trail runners." I had to because of ankle swelling following a severely fractured leg/ankle. Anyway, the guy who sold me the hiking shoes recommended the Darn Tough socks, and I bought them because they are made in America and I thought I'd give it a try - hiking without liner socks. I was skeptical, to say the least. I'd been so proud of never having foot issues on hikes. Let me tell you, I'm a believer! They have never caused a blister, they don't smell as badly as my previous socks, and they keep my feet warm in the winter and dry always. I'll always have some to wear if I can. They're amazing.

I'm old school; Ranger and SF bosses - I never leave home without sock liners. I bet the darn tough rep was right about their socks but I wouldn't trust other socks.

i also like the fact that I can wash and dry the sock liners fast.

I used to wear liners, but once I moved into Smartwool socks I stopped the habit and have not had any blister problems worth discussion. Liner socks, for me, tended to be slippery and ruck on me a lot but when I was using them with ragwool socks they were necessary.

I will change to PhD Smartwool socks in warmer weather, they provide cushion at the toes/ball of the feet and heel, with very thin fabric on the balance of the sock that seems to do a good wicking job.

Bluebird

Squeezebox and folks--
    I hiked the "Jesus Trail" in Israel last year with Keene boots and wool socks. I met some South African pilgrims on the trail, some much older than me, and I'm 69. They knew about the vaseline trick--and I tried it. Reduces friction. I think it prevented blisters that would have otherwise appeared. For my hike I plan to take some Vicks (or equal) chest rub, because it can serve at least two purposes: It is mostly Vaseline--petrolatum, and will work the same as V. And Carmex is also mostly petrolatum, but it's much more expensive per ounce!

I think any cream/lotion would also work, although many have ingredients that make them water-soluble. If using those products on the feet, one might have to re-apply more than once a day. (With the Vaseline, I just put it on in the morning.)

In warmer weather, I actually wear two pair of liner socks inside my trail runners. My feet tend to sweat heavily. With this combo, my feet are happy and cooler, plus the liner socks are so lightweight, a simple rinse at the end of the day and they tend to be pretty dry by morning time, even in the humidity of a southern summer evening.

Wear WRIGHT SOCK as a liner and Darntough as a hiking sock. No blisters or hot spots.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'll expand on my earlier message. I wear Darn Tough socks and they're great. But I still wear liners because my feet itch like heck without them. (And in winter, inside my vapor barrier.) Your feet may be different from mine.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I bought liners because of a few posts and then left them in the dresser for quite some time. I kept thinking how am I going to get two pair of socks into my shoes/boots at the same time. Finally tried them and they work pretty good. I have not used them long haul but a day hike was good. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    which style injini socks?
    These are the ones I use. http://www.injinji.com/shop/liner/liner-crew.html

I carry two pairs and alternate.

With running shoes, you don't need liners. They can be a good idea if you are wearing heavy leather boots and wool socks - but not many thruhikers do that any more.

I not only use liners, but have also been experimenting with liner socks with toes in them. I do better with liners. The only thing that happened to me on occasion was a hot spot between toes. Initial indications are the "toed" socks may help with that.

I have mostly used Smartwool socks in the past. I haven't had any major problems with blisters. I would get hotspots by the end of the day hiking mostly on the bottom of my feet. Last year I started experimenting with REI hiking liner (merino wool) socks only and the next day wearing Smartwool. I found that using the liner socks only, my feet were more comfortable by the end of the day because they were cooler and moisture didn't build up. I have used liner socks with wool socks over them and Wrightsocks but I didn't care for my feet feeling like they were sliding around in my shoes. Thin hiking liner socks only works for me.

depends on the season if it's winter i use liner socks for the extra warmth but if it's warm weather i will not use them makes my feet sweat too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tramp View Post
    Do you use liner socks or do you not ?
    Why ?
    Doesn't have to be an all or nothing, either or, right or wrong, good or bad, Yes sock liners are always great/ No sock liners always suck, duality two choice scenario to everything. I like keeping my options open and be willing to conceive beyond the two option scenario. Even though I've been moving away from sock liners I still, on some occasions, like HOT desert hikes, or when wearing heavier less breathable mid cut boots, add them into the foot mix system. I view everything on my feet as a system of working interconnected components with a sock liner as one component much the same as I view layering apparel on my torso.

Their are two main reasons I employ them, 1) wicking action keeping my feet cooler and less prone to blisters 2) additional cushioning/protection. However, I have found alternative techniques and gear choices with different characteristics that do much the same thing, so I don't employ them as soften as I once did. I've gotten much much better at choosing appropriate footwear for my feet characteristics and hiking parameters, higher tech more appropriate breathable socks, orthotics, toughening up my feet, and tending to my feet over the last 7-8 yrs so I all those things factor in less need for liner socks for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Darn Tough socks are a class above the rest IMHO. I swore by liners in all other types of hiking socks. The second I switched to Darn Tough Socks w/out liners, my blisters stopped and my feet love me. Still same boots and some of the same trail as before. Especially a road section that tore up my feet previously. No problems...none. Now I have two pairs and getting ready to buy a final pair of running socks (to sleep in).

Honestly, I don't think Darn Tough reps were trying to BS anyone. I just feel that they take pride in their product! Who else gives that guarantee?

As they say, "Try it, you'll like it".
    Most sales reps take pride in their products, that has nothing to do with if their product will actually perform. What guarantee..the wear guarantee? Next time they tell someone about no blisters with their socks, that someone should ask them is they are willing to compensate for treatment, lost time and expenses should blisters sideline someone while wearing their socks without liners. Then you will see how far that "pride" goes.

Images

I've always worn liners, but have heard a lot of discussion on this forum that the liners were meant to protect your feet from the heavy duty hiking boots with less flex. So, on a recent section hike on the AT (Approach Trail to Neel's Gap), I wore Darn Tough socks without liners with my Merrell Moab shoes. No blisters, no problems. However, there were others with trail runners and hiking boots who had foot problems. So, the answer for me is, it just depends on your feet and the fit of the shoe. I won't be using liners on my thruhike next year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++