WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default liner socks, no liner socks, that is the question

Do you use liner socks or do you not ?
    Why ?
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I use liner socks because I'm sensitive to wool, even merino. I've tried synthetic hiking socks, and got surprised by blisters.

Even if I weren't, I'd use liner socks at this time of year because they dry fast, and so I can wear plastic bags over them (keeping my socks dry), and change the liners out daily or oftener.

If I didn't get itchy feet from wool, I'd most likely dispense with liners in warm weather.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I hiked a few years not using them but after some blisters started using liners last year. I haven't had a blister since using them. I hiked 400 mile of the AT last year and did not get a hint of a blister. Needless to say I will continue to use liner socks!!!

Journal Entries

About 20 years ago, while in the reserves, I had to do a 20 mile hike w/ a 55lb rucksack +weapon and water in under 8 hours. I hadn't trained for this hike. I used liner socks, regular socks, and Army jungle boots, and I didn't have even a hot spot. I wouldn't hike without them.

Yep that is what i thought. I got an email from darn tough telling me that liners were old school and with there hi tec socks i did not need liners.
    B.s. i thought, my question to them was should i move up a size in socks due to the liner ? thay said use no liner and buy our socks.
    Other sock recomendations ??

I don't use a liner sock. I think the info that you got from Darn Tough is accurate. Sock technology has come a long way.

The key for me is wearing a thin sock so that my feet don't sweat. A dry sock=happy feet for me.

I wear lightweight, nonwaterproof trail runners and darn tough no-show cushion socks. Never had a blister. However..my feet were soaked from three days of rain and we had to help rescue a woman down a mtn. After carrying a makeshift litter for 4 hrs and just tearing my feet apart from all the shifting and lifting. My wet socks and shoes rubbed the tops of my feet raw. Nothing to do with actual hiking. However, I brought a pair of liners along. Wore them under my socks for the next two days and my feet cleared right up.

I carry a pair. Don't wear em typically, but if you start to develop a blister or hot spot, I believe they remedy the problem.

Images

Silk liner socks keep my feet cooler, drier and happier, even with today's newer tech-socks. I've hiked many times without, and for what, 30 years (?) with, and I know my feet and what works. In warm weather, those are the only socks I'll wear.

Images

No liners here, I wear trail runners with Darn Tough Socks. Never had a problem when wearing the Darn Tough Socks.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    No liners here, I wear trail runners with Darn Tough Socks. Never had a problem when wearing the Darn Tough Socks.
    Same here.

So what ?? I do a test ? liner on one foot no liner on the other and see what happens ?

Liner socks, an Army requirements. Cant beat a ruck hump without liners. If it's good for us Army humps its good for you.

One foot will fall off and i can hop my way to the trail head !!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tramp View Post
    So what ?? I do a test ? liner on one foot no liner on the other and see what happens ?
    NO, one trip with, one without. i don't wear liners. hate them.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

You just have to try them. I like them a lot. Have used them on several hikes and it really reduces the blister risk for me. However, everyone has different feet, gear and walking styles. Best to buy a pair and wear them a bit to see if they make sense for you. I personally like the Injinji toe socks.

I use liners but, if I would consider getting rid of them if there were a better sock. I be giving Darn Tough socks a try.

Darn Tough socks are a class above the rest IMHO. I swore by liners in all other types of hiking socks. The second I switched to Darn Tough Socks w/out liners, my blisters stopped and my feet love me. Still same boots and some of the same trail as before. Especially a road section that tore up my feet previously. No problems...none. Now I have two pairs and getting ready to buy a final pair of running socks (to sleep in).

Honestly, I don't think Darn Tough reps were trying to BS anyone. I just feel that they take pride in their product! Who else gives that guarantee?

As they say, "Try it, you'll like it".
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Injini tor liners with darn toughs work for me. The toe socks eliminate friction between the toes .

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    Injini tor liners with darn toughs work for me. The toe socks eliminate friction between the toes .
    which style injini socks? I have many different ones and just switched back to a 'normal' minimalist runner and will use trail runners next spring. socks are expensive so would like to keep using the multiple pairs of toe socks I already own
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

I used to get a lot of blisters, combination of boots not 1/2 size larger and no liner socks. Now?

Knee high women's panty hose with powder, then good socks.

Friend who is an FBI agent told me that this is a Special Forces trick. Has worked great for me.

.........and they meet all ultra-lightweight standards

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++