WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water Treatment

Most people on the AT use the Sawyer Squeeze and Aqua Mira. I carry both of these water treatment methods. Sawyer Squeeze easy to use and backwash occasionally usually when I hit towns. Carry a extra bag (either the Sawyer bags or Evernew fit) just in case you have bag failure but I have been using the same bag for quite awhile. If bag failure some plastic bottles fit the filter (Smartwater). Fill bottle at spring and attach filter and drink. I used to use the Pur Hiker (now Katadyn Hiker) filter for years until two broke on me on the trail in a short period of time. Fortunately, I was able to use other friends filters. Katadyn Hiker filters are expensive to replace in comparison. Since then, Sawyer Squeeze and am very happy with product.

I've used the Katadyn Hiker Pro for years without any problems. Beyond ease and speed of use, it removes debris from the water that chemicals won't, and removes bad tastes from water sources that are less that pristine that steripens and chemical treatment won't, without clogging problems I have seen with the Sawyer Mini. Though a lot of people carry the Mini, the small weight penalty of the Katadyn for these features are worth it for me.

Garlic
    Images

On my AT hike, I noticed very few filters toward the end of the hike--many had broken or the maintenance became too difficult. Aquamira was quite common. (I carried one Aquamira set and it lasted the entire trail with half left over, so I treated about 15 gallons of suspect water--there was so much good spring water it seemed a shame to put chemicals in it.) I don't think I ever saw a Steripen (2008, maybe different now). But I didn't hike in a pack and didn't congregate around shelters and didn't ask people about their gear, so I don't have a huge sample size.

I saw an interesting phenomenon on the AT. I saw folks hiking with bottles of "Smoky Mountain Spring Water" with $4 price tags. Yet when faced with getting water from the actual spring high in the Smokies, they'd put chemicals in it! What a shame to be afraid of city water in the city, and of mountain water in the mountains.

I agree with the sentiment above that getting water while backpacking in the Appalachians does not fall under the "emergency" category.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Here is a video of a gravity fed water filter system:

If you use a Sawyer Mini or Sawyer Squeeze you will have the .1 micron absolute "standard".

The Sawyer Squeeze will flow faster than the Sawyer Mini. Sawyer sells adapters. I use the blue cap from Smart Water bottles for the connectors.

This is a convenient method of water filtration, for example, while you set up camp.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-28-2015 at 18:50.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/wa...filter/product
    anyone use one of these new fangled things? looks nice
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I use the Pur Hiker and it has wonderfully from the At to the PCT to the CDT to the CT to the Ice Age Trail and 1000's of other miles beyond. Will always carry it and use it unless I can see the source of the water is pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I don't know why that advice keeps getting repeated: household bleach has a harmful extra ingredient.

I think Aqua Mira is the one that imitates public health water treatment.

I tried gravity-feed water filtration using a Sawyer water filter and I haven't looked back. I need water containers anyway, for backpacking, even one to collect water from shallow water. I like the idea of using that blue spout with the Smart Water to backflush.
    What is the extra ingredient?

I don't know. It might be a preservative.

The advice might have been about an added chemical to add "odor" to Chlorox brand and other brands.

It might be that bleach, even in the small amounts added to the water, harm intestinal "flora and fauna". Antibiotics do.

I wish we had more particulars from that MD quoted higher up the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    What is the extra ingredient?
    Perfume. All it will do is make your poo smell a little better.

Most folks drink chlorine in their tap water every day.

The arrangement of the atoms makes a difference.

We already had that discussion in a different thread: NaCl and chlorine in a swimming pool.

Then, there is Chlorox. Maybe, there is bleach and there is different brands of bleach.

Images

Another vote for the Sawyer squeeze with a few chem tab for backup. If all fails, throw the pot on the fire and boil for a few. Alot of fresh mtn spring water sources need nothing just bubbling out of the ground. When you get used to such fresh clean water, you can actually 'smell' the treated city water when coming into town.

Images

Sawyer Squeeze. Light, simple, works well for me with the right attachments. I also carry a small amount of Aquamira A&B in case......have had Giardia, not a lot of fun - but I did lose 10 lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Perfume. All it will do is make your poo smell a little better.
    soooo....That explains why my poo don't stink when I hike...if I treat at all I use bleach.

Images

+1 for Aqua Mira for me. It's simple, light weight, easy to use and always works. What more do you want?

There are 2 things I have heard people say negatively towards Aqua Mira. 1) It doesn't get the particles out or clean the dingy water and 2) It takes too long and I don't want to wait on it. My experience is 1) I have never not been able to get the floaties out by dipping with my mug or pot or whatever you have and if they are particularly bad then filter through a bandana. 2) The wait time is not that long and if you plan accordingly by going ahead and letting part a and part b mix while you down the remaining amount of water you have, you can dump it in the bottle and not need anymore water until the 15 minutes has passed anyway. It's not a big deal.

With all that being said, I'm sure the Sawyer is a fine choice as well but I personally like having something on the trail I can't break.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Most folks drink chlorine in their tap water every day.
    Right, thus my logic.

Plus, after reading Matt Kirk's debriefing here on WB, I opted to mimic his method and drop the 12 oz filter from my pack.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pdmlFc1E#gid=0
    http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2012/12/bandoleer-gear.html

I'm too lazy to look up the thread where he answered specific questions about his shoes, water method, etc... but it's here somewhere.

Obviously, everyone realizes that hiking is not an emergency situation.

Also, there is definitely more than one kind of bleach (chemical makeup) on the shelves in grocery stores.

If I am concerned, I have these. It has no taste.

http://m.rei.com/product/695229/kata...-package-of-30

"Features the same proven technology used in municipal water supplies"

"Meets the US Environmental Protection Agency purification guidelines; active ingredient is chlorine dioxide"

"Destroys viruses and bacteria in 15 min., Giardia in 30 min. and Cryptosporidium in 4 hrs".

I have the Sawyer .1 micron absolute to keep out Giardia. If I am concerned about virus, I have the Katadyn MicroPur tablets for holding the water 4 hours during the day or overnight.

Edit: Katadyn Scout (expensive, heavy weight) or Sawyer meet the .1 micron absolute standard.

Katadyn MicroPur has the chlorine dioxide.

These two (filtration and chemical treatment) meet the water purity standard.

The chlorine used in the public water supply is, apparently, then, chlorine dioxide.

What is chemically in "trace" amounts after use is not consumed in eyedropper amounts. It is not bleach: sodium hypochlorite.

Municipal water treatment does not use sodium hypochlorite "bleach".

I hope this information clears up the question I have had and others have had about the use of household bleach.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-29-2015 at 11:40.

Default I use Aqua Mira

Aqua Mira is effective, light and simple. No moving parts.

Chlorine bleach is much better than nothing, but it's not as effective against protozoa, like Giardia, as Aqua Mira. It's primarily Giardia most people are worried about. To most people Aqua Mira tastes much better, or is even tasteless.

Bleach is quite safe if used as directed, but the CDC recommends using unscented bleach, presumably because the perfumes which are added to scented bleach may not be safe for human consumption.

I agree with garlic that store-bought bottled water is pretty much a scam. I do think however, that bottled spring water and spring water along the AT are not equally safe, the first is from a tested and monitored source, either protected or underground, and the other is from an untested and unmonitored source.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    If I am concerned, I have these. It has no taste.

The chlorine used in the public water supply is, apparently, then, chlorine dioxide.

What is chemically in "trace" amounts after use is not consumed in eyedropper amounts. It is not bleach: sodium hypochlorite.

Municipal water treatment does not use sodium hypochlorite "bleach".

I hope this information clears up the question I have had and others have had about the use of household bleach.
    According to the CDC municipals do use Sodium Hypochlorite (SH)(http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/chlorination-faq.html) as well as filtration. Calcium Hypochlorite (HTS) is a comparable purifyer which is the active ingredient in many brands of "pool shock". Pool shock comes in chrystalline form and can be used to make a bleach stock at 1 tablespoon for 1 gallon of bleach stock.

I am interested in possibly using a tiny bag of pool shock crystals to make my bleach along the trail for my eye dropper. Anyone seen this method used for resupply?

True that bleach does not kill giardia, but giardia can be treated if done immediately with pepto bismol (bismuth subsalicylate)(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...87233399000685 and my experience of having giardia 2 dozen times in central asia)

so bleach either regular bleach SU or HTS does work though it is wise to have a handful of Pepto Bismol chewables incase the telltale sulphuric burps/farts come.(cannot miss them...just start dosing at 2 tablets every whatever the recommended time for usually 4-6 doses usually clears me up..but until you definitely feel better) No big deal.

also note that studies have found that 90% of giardia contractions were due to people self infecting from their own poo. (Wash them hands!)

cheers!
    Last edited by Cobble; 08-15-2015 at 20:35.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

I used aquamira on my last trip. I also have and used a katadyn pro hike filter pump.

Pro's: Aquamira - very light, small volume, relatively quick time for treatment.
    Con's - does not filter, mixing and reaction time requires small container and 5 minutes, takes 15 minutes before you can safely drink.

Pro's: Katadyn - filters out water, can drink right away.
    Con's - very heavy, cumbersome to use in a stream, handle could break - renduring it useless, clean up at home.

It is all about how you use your water as well. My system was two bladders, one with a tube for drinking and one platypus for filling untreated water - both 70oz or 2L each. Whenever, I came to a water source even if my bladder that I was drinking was full, I filled up my platypus, filled up the cup with aquamira - 7 drops per liter, waited 5 min for reaction, put into platypus, shake, put back in my bag and do not need it until 4-5 hours later. This system works like a charm for me, but others may not like it. I also get water from trail magic or stores along the way. While a like the Sawyer system, it still has too many parts for me. We are packing and unpacking every day - expediency. I drink A LOT of water in the summer 1.5 - 2 gallons per day - never had an issue with this system. I came upon a group of four girls using the hand pump at a spring. The girl was pumping away when I got there. I got out the Platypus, aquamira and was off in 7-8 minutes with them in my wake. I like the filter and will use it for day hikes only. too much weight, tubes and I have to clean it up when I get home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++