WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water Treatment

Default Water Treatment

Out west I use a "Hiker" pump filter. Heavy but reliable. What is the water treatment of choice for hiking the AT. Advantages/disadvantages, etc. I am planning on hiking Katahdin to NY starting August 1st 2016. I would appreciate your input.

I use the Katahdin Hiker-Pro it's worth the weight penalty in my opinion, most folks on WB use the Sawyer Squeeze i have tried one but i had a few issues with mine such as it takes a long time to filter water, they clog up daily sometimes two to three times a day, not a good water flow, just to name a few I think i will stick to my Hiker-Pro i have never had any issues with it.

I recently upgraded to the Sawyer Mini
    http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Product.../dp/B00FHRADQ2

I had been using a hand-pump, Katahdin-style filter purchased back in 1998 for use in the Boundary Waters. It still worked well, but was tedious and heavy.

Prior to buying the Sawyer Mini, I had copied a certain speed-hiker's method of using bleach for treating water. It may work for some, but I had a gastrointestinal problems for weeks following the trip. My doctor has strongly advised me to never use the bleach method again, in spite of what the Red Cross says about bleach's utility as an emergency water treatment option. Some folk's constitution can surely handle it, but the bleach method ain't for me.

Sawyer inline with a diy gravity set up. One trip to water source, no pumping, packs small, super light, inexpensive, filters fast and if backflushed periodically no clogging.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    Sawyer inline with a diy gravity set up. One trip to water source, no pumping, packs small, super light, inexpensive, filters fast and if backflushed periodically no clogging.
    Ditto...

Get an Evernew Water Carry for your dirty water and a Platypus Hoser for your clean water. (The threads of the Evernew properly fit the threads on the Squeeze and Mini - Platypus decided to use a unique thread angle on their products). Simply punch some holes in the margins of the Evernew bladder and thread it with some twine to hang for gravity feed.

With a clean Sawyer Mini, I can filter 2L of water in about 4 minutes while I do other tasks in camp (like getting the cooking gear ready).

If you punch the holes in the corner of the Evernew so that it hangs a little cockeyed, that will give some of the silt and other debris in the water a chance to collect in the corner of the bag rather than flowing into the filter.

Journal Entries

The choice of AT Thru's seems to be AquaMira and the 'Squeeze'

I prefer the Steripen, I personally feel it is lighter when you consider the weight of water carried.

YMMV

Exactly hookoo-- I have used gravity for about 10 years now and will never go back. I use the larger size Sawyer filter just because it was the lightest out there last time I replaced it. Still works great. I made my dirty bag from a dry bag. I usually have enough water in one trip for any and everyone around camp and myself the next morning. I use a small camelback on/off spigot and can use/ filter the water when needed. I also used a small screen in the dirty bag to catch any larger floaties.

I used an MSR Sweetwater when I did SAR in the Cascades, switched to a Katadyn Hiker-Pro a few years back. IMHO it's hard to beat for ease of use and quality of water, but I know plenty of people who still use iodine or bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Prior to buying the Sawyer Mini, I had copied a certain speed-hiker's method of using bleach for treating water. It may work for some, but I had a gastrointestinal problems for weeks following the trip. My doctor has strongly advised me to never use the bleach method again, in spite of what the Red Cross says about bleach's utility as an emergency water treatment option. Some folk's constitution can surely handle it, but the bleach method ain't for me.
    I don't know why that advice keeps getting repeated: household bleach has a harmful extra ingredient.

I think Aqua Mira is the one that imitates public health water treatment.

I tried gravity-feed water filtration using a Sawyer water filter and I haven't looked back. I need water containers anyway, for backpacking, even one to collect water from shallow water. I like the idea of using that blue spout with the Smart Water to backflush.

I think the two lightest and best water treatment options specifically for thru-hiking are aquamira and the original sawyer squeeze.

The sawyer mini filter has a poor flow rate and requires a lot of back flushing. The two people I thru hiked the LT with this past year were fed up with them after a month of use. We did party with some AT nobo's one night, and of course some gear got brought up. They agreed that the mini was just too much hassle for using constantly everyday, all day.

The larger squeeze is certainly worth the extra 1oz in weight.

I however, go back and forth between the squeeze and aquamira. Both have their merits. Either will serve you right on a thru.

Journal Entries

Right on sir! I have the same setup. It works great using a brass double christmas tree fiting makes It easy to disconnect!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I think the two lightest and best water treatment options specifically for thru-hiking are aquamira and the original sawyer squeeze.

The sawyer mini filter has a poor flow rate and requires a lot of back flushing. The two people I thru hiked the LT with this past year were fed up with them after a month of use. We did party with some AT nobo's one night, and of course some gear got brought up. They agreed that the mini was just too much hassle for using constantly everyday, all day.

The larger squeeze is certainly worth the extra 1oz in weight.

I however, go back and forth between the squeeze and aquamira. Both have their merits. Either will serve you right on a thru.
    These two water treatment options were the more prevalent on the AT in 2013. I used the Aquamira. Each time I resupplied, I kept the mixing cap from the previous set. At the end, I was able to mix up 4 different caps @ one time.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    in spite of what the Red Cross says about bleach's utility as an emergency water treatment option.
    Having every structure in your Haitian village knocked down is an emergency. Having your Floridian town wiped off the map by a hurricane is an emergency.. Backpacking isn't an emergency unless you are doing it very incorrectly. Inadvisable actions can become necessary in a real emergency, and using household bleach to render water somewhat drinkable is one of those actions.

I don't know why that advice keeps getting repeated: household bleach has a harmful extra ingredient. What?

I think Aqua Mira is the one that imitates public health water treatment. Not hardly.

I tried gravity-feed water filtration using a Sawyer water filter and I haven't looked back. I need water containers anyway, for backpacking, even one to collect water from shallow water. I like the idea of using that blue spout with the Smart Water to backflush.

I'd guess that at least half of the thru-hikers ain't using nothin' on most water sources by the time they get to Katahdin. I used household bleach on the few suspect water source I used.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    The sawyer mini filter has a poor flow rate and requires a lot of back flushing. The two people I thru hiked the LT with this past year were fed up with them after a month of use.
    Given that you can get the mini's at WalMart for only $20, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one if a few resupply boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Given that you can get the mini's at WalMart for only $20, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one if a few resupply boxes.
    Exactly. I got two from my local outfitter for $37 plus tax.
    They work fine for me. People don't care for the slow flow rate, but I guess I'm just patient.
    "You can shear a sheep many times, but only skin him once...."

I started with a MSR sweetwater pump but switched to a diy gravity fitted with a sawyer filter. I was mostly hiking with at least 4 others so wanted more volume. I use a sea-to-summit shower bag fitted with tubing to filter then down to shut off valve from camelback. I also siliconed a piece of stainless mesh inside to catch the bigger debris. It does periodically require back flushing depending on water quality and is a little on the heavy side but great for a group.

swjohnsey,

Good for you, "I think" begs the question.

I like Sawyer Squeeze, best. I like the set up I described.

Why practically every comment I make start a "flame war"? Open criticism, adding nothing, is a "flame war".

Why don't you see what you have to say that benefits the OP or the discussion, by adding helpful information?

edit: You did add helpful information. Here it is: "I'd guess that at least half of the thru-hikers ain't using nothin' on most water sources by the time they get to Katahdin. I used household bleach on the few suspect water source I used."

I respectfully disagree with the use of household bleach: my opinion based on advice I heard. Does that make it "second hand"? It does. That is why I wrote "I don't know why..."
    Last edited by Connie; 01-27-2015 at 18:28.

Pass on bleach.

The deal with the mini. When you need to filter upwards of 6 liters of water a day. Your hand starts to cramp up. When filtering water hits that point when it's a "chore" you start to cuss at the flow rate because you were to impatient to backflush it. And even a backflushed mini isn't as good as a squeeze.

I still use my mini for day hikes and over nighters, because I own it and didn't just want to toss a $25 filter.

Take my word or don't, most AT thru hikers had negative reviews of the mini's flow rate and maintenance routine. Check out Will Wood's review on youtube.

Filtering water becomes a chore no matter what method you use, might as well make it simple and easier on yourself.

Get the original squeeze and use that filter. Mine has nevr clogged and I'm pretty low maintenance and hard on stuff. But whoever said it above is right, by the New England states a lot of thrus dont treat water anymore. I personally did, but I have had a water borne illness from drinking untreated water before. No fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++