WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question March 1st Gear Review

Hey Guys I've been following the site for about a year now in preparation for my thru hike and finally thought I'd make an account to get some insight on my gear selection and hear what you guys have got to say about my gear choices, thanks in advance for the input!
    Item Product Weight
    Water Filter
    Sawyer Mini 2 oz
    Water Storage
    Platypus 2L 1.3 oz
    Data Guide Book
    AWOL 11.8 oz
    Socks
    Injinji Outdor Mini Crew
    Boots
    Salomon Quest 4D GTX 2lb 13 oz
    Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX 1lb 12 oz
    Gaiters
    Outdoor Research Bugouts 8 oz
    Base Layer
    Smart Wool NTS MID 250 9 oz
    Smart Wool NTS MICRO 150 5.3 oz
    Capilene 3 Midweight
    Mid Layer
    Arctyrex Konseal 3/4 Hoody 9.7 oz
    Outer Layer
    Mountain Hardwear
    Ghost Whisper Vest 5 oz
    Rain Gear
    Marmot Super Mica 10 oz
    Pants North Face Paramount II 13.76 oz
    Adiddas Running Shorts 4 oz
    Shelter
    War Bonnet Superfly 1lb 3 oz
    Eno Single Nest 1lb
    Sleeping Bag
    Hammock Gear Incubator 20 1lb 6 oz
    Fleece Liner 1lb 5 oz
    Pack
    Osprey Atmos 50L 3lb 2 oz
    Trekking Poles
    Cooking System
    Jet Boil Flash 14 oz
    Canister 3.5 oz
    Sea to Summit Long Spoon .4 oz
    Head Lamp
    Black Diamond Spot 3.2 oz
    Phone
    Iphone 5 3.9 oz
    Sea to Summit Iphone Case 1.9 oz
    Charger
    FOS POWER 9,000 IXP7 7.7 oz
    GPS Tracker
    SPOT Gen 3 4 oz
    First Aid Kit/Toiletries
    Various 1/2 lb max
    Packed Weight Roughly 16 lb
    I'm also thinking of bringing a zlite along with me to give me self a shelter or cowboy camping option, sorry the post is so long

Looks good! I know nothing about hammock camping so can't speak on that issue much. If you're set on a liner, I highly recommend the sea to summit reactor plus thermolite liner. It'll save you 11 ounces and it's pretty darn warm. http://www.rei.com/product/797113/se...iner#tab-specs

And personally I've stopped carrying rain pants. I just never used them. But you might get some cold rains there in the first month that'll make you love having them. Best of luck and maybe I'll see you out there!

Nice underquilt, but you're prob going to need more than a fleece liner.

I'm leaving about four days before you, so I may get to meet you! I used to be a wildland firefighter, followed by a wilderness therapy field instructor, followed by a park ranger, and I've thru-hiked the Colorado Trail. I haven't had much experience in your neck of the woods, so I asked White Blaze folks a few weeks ago for some advice, and here's what they told me.

1. 1/4 the AWOL Guide at Damascus and have the rest shipped in a drop as needed (if you can).
    2. Sawyer Mini backs up more than the regular sized one. Instead of bringing the plunger, we can use a Smart Bottle. Is the Platypus bladder your only holder? If it is, I recommend bringing a wider-mouthed bottle to start or a smaller one to sleep with. Freezing nights=freezing water. Hoses freeze easily, too.
    3. Everyone told me to bring four pairs of socks! Three for hiking and one thicker pair for sleeping.
    4. If you're starting as early as we are, bring either a silk liner for a 20 degree or get a 0 degree bag. Bring a sleeping pad/thermal blanket with a good temp. rating, as well! The Great Smokies folks want us to fill the shelters before thinking about other sleeping options.
    5. Are you bringing the SPOT for your folks? That might be extra weight, considering a SPOT is for emergency communication. If you have Verizon, you will probably get cell service regularly anyway.
    6. Do you have a food/bear bag? I got the Zpacks Bear Bagging system.

This list looks like you are ready to get some miles in! Not many luxuries I hope you have a great hike!

To me the Cap 3, Arctyrex Mid, and 250wt Smartwool are a bit redundant and you should probably leave one. Don't forget a beanie/buff and gloves to start. You also might consider rain mitts and/or rain pants to start with for the cold rainy days, just send them home when it warms up.

No T-shirt?

That was my concern as well, I've taken that setup down to the low 40s and it was nippy but not unbearable. I'm thinking with some of my clothes on I might be able to make it through a couple cold nights. I was also considering adding a sea to summit liner like suggested by gcobb for the first couple months and then sending one of the pair home. I'll probably opt for this just to make sure I stay comfy at night

Nice hopefully I'll see ya out there I'd be shocked if we didn't, I'm not planning on rushing my hike by any means. I've been contemplating bringing a nalgene for the start to fill with boiling water and wrapped in a sock to add some heat to my bag at night. The more responses I've seen I defiontely think I'll be bringing a bag liner just to add some extra warmth. The spot is 100% for my mom haha she put up all the money for it if I'd promise to take it she likes the assurance of knowing where I'm at and can always call help. As for Bear bags I was just gonna run with some old stuff sacks till they die

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorse View Post
    To me the Cap 3, Arctyrex Mid, and 250wt Smartwool are a bit redundant and you should probably leave one. Don't forget a beanie/buff and gloves to start. You also might consider rain mitts and/or rain pants to start with for the cold rainy days, just send them home when it warms up.

No T-shirt?
    I should have specified a bit more The Cap 3 are bottoms and the smart wool 150s are both actually t-shirts. My idea with the Arctyrex Konseal is to keep me warm while just walking around camp, I'm hoping it's pretty similar in weight to a delta from them. The big benefit with this piece is that it comes with an integrated baklava concealed in the collar which should cover me in the buff/beanie department fingers crossed, my only concern is the thickness but I'm hoping to be able to use it as a standalone piece too but we shall see

My random thoughts:
    one pair of socks is not enough.
    need a top quilt and possibly a pad. I see you tried your setup into the 40's. A pad would let you use a shelter on a lazy day and give you a some additional insualation in the hammock. Add a bag or TQ for the first 4-6 weeks and when it warms up go to the setup you have in the list.

I predict you will hate the load of the extra shoes and will ship the boots back at your first stop. Leave them home with someone that can ship them if you want.

Head/hand coverings

If you're leaving in March, you will absolutely need gloves. I also wore a wool beanie hat and started many mornings wearing a face/neck gaitor. It is *extremely* windy in the N. Georgia mountains. And even with my 15 degree down bag I still more my hat to bed at night. Definitely need more socks.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Leave the SPOT at home, it's the AT. You'll have 4G most of the way.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

++ New Posts ++