WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 70 Second Clip of Redford and Nolte in A Walk in the Woods

--

Hike Safe.

Don't care much for Redford but I got to see this movie, I read the book and it was pretty funny, Nolte aught to do a good job.

I LOVED the book - for its humor!

I LOVE Redford - for his past acting. Nolte is alright...

However, I feel they are TOO OLD to be representing someone who tries to hike the A.T. (So sorry to people in their 70's and 80's - but you aren't the typical person! Bryson was in his 40's - not approaching 80's!

(I will still go see it due to my love of the AT and REdford!)

Images

Gotta say, can't wait for the movie. The book was so hilarious ... and educational.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Coots in boots. I'm in.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I think they'll play off each other well, and even get a nomination for Duo...I'm in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think they'll play off each other well, and even get a nomination for Duo...I'm in.

MLD Duomid?

Redford is not right for this...Nolte is the best choice for "Katz". Redford should have just paid for the movie and let talented folks make it.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Coots in boots. I'm in.
    HA! Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Nolte and Redford are great---Cape Fear and Jeremiah Johnson---enough said.
    Plus 1......
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I was already to condemn this thing based upon the age of these guys, but I've changed my mind since seeing the trailer. Clearly what we have here is a movie based loosely on Bryson's book. It's a buddy movie and I hope it will be hilarious. Both these actors seem convincing in the roles but it's not the same characters that we saw in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    I was already to condemn this thing based upon the age of these guys, but I've changed my mind since seeing the trailer. Clearly what we have here is a movie based loosely on Bryson's book. It's a buddy movie and I hope it will be hilarious. Both these actors seem convincing in the roles but it's not the same characters that we saw in the book.
    Agreed. Screen adaptations from books usually take liberties with characters and development for a number of reasons. The relative age of the men involved is a fairly minor issue in context to the story overall. The "buddy film" theme I too hope will work, but Redford is somewhat type cast with Paul Newman who together created memorable and strong bonds in films (Newman was originally going to do the Nolte part), so the chemistry that would've worked quickly now has to be earned on screen. Given their respective talents I suspect its well earned. The book characters will separate quickly from the book characters, but I think it will stay in the realm of the book.

I also wonder if Notes From a Small Island would make a good film.

Nolte and Redford are great---Cape Fear and Jeremiah Johnson---enough said.
    Yup, Jeremiah was a good movie but that was years ago. The last effort I saw Redford in was All is Lost. I am a sailor so maybe that is the problem but that movie was just plain terrible on every level. Some actors get better with age . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    Yup, Jeremiah was a good movie but that was years ago. The last effort I saw Redford in was All is Lost. I am a sailor so maybe that is the problem but that movie was just plain terrible on every level. Some actors get better with age . . . .
    And most so-called "backpacking" movies are also terrible. The guy in Into The Wild movie had a confusing relationship with his backpack as he never seemed to use the hipbelt. And the trailers I've seen of Wild seem to show very sketchy uses of her hipbelt. I imagine both Redford and Nolte will backpack the AT w/o the hipbelts of their packs clipped tight and maybe do the whole movie in the way Hollywood likes to show backpacking---With the pack carried over one shoulder with one shoulder strap.

Images

And most so-called "backpacking" movies are also terrible. The guy in Into The Wild movie had a confusing relationship with his backpack as he never seemed to use the hipbelt. And the trailers I've seen of Wild seem to show very sketchy uses of her hipbelt. I imagine both Redford and Nolte will backpack the AT w/o the hipbelts of their packs clipped tight and maybe do the whole movie in the way Hollywood likes to show backpacking---With the pack carried over one shoulder with one shoulder strap.
    Just like some of the old hallywood war movies many years ago, none of the soldiers ever fastened the chin strap on the steel pot. They were divin' into foxholes and dodging grenades, and magically the helmet never fell off.

Maybe it's Hollywood magic, but Nolte looks like he just came off a 6 month bender of HGH and Jack Daniels.

have you ever heard the phrase it's "so stupid it's almost funny" well that's this movie, I didn't like the book and I probably want like the movie either, I don't see how the book was educational like rain man has mentioned.

It should be an interesting movie, Redford made a great film recently about being lost at sea (forget the name, but I really liked the film) and Nolte, well, is Nolte. Bryson's book (to me at least) was very good at the beginning and middle, but it sucked at the end when all he did was whine and moan about the AT, its cast of characters, the trail towns, etc. I grew tired of that real fast, but overall, its a good book. Again, movie should be interesting, but I get the feeling its gonna have all kinds of "issues" in it regarding backpacking, the AT, etc.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    It should be an interesting movie, Redford made a great film recently about being lost at sea (forget the name, but I really liked the film) and Nolte, well, is Nolte. Bryson's book (to me at least) was very good at the beginning and middle, but it sucked at the end when all he did was whine and moan about the AT, its cast of characters, the trail towns, etc. I grew tired of that real fast, but overall, its a good book. Again, movie should be interesting, but I get the feeling its gonna have all kinds of "issues" in it regarding backpacking, the AT, etc.
    The name of the sailing movie was "All is Lost" and I like it as well. Jake2c mentioned that movie in a post and didn't like the movie on any level he said maybe because he is a sailor. I'm a sailor and I liked it so maybe being a sailor is not the reason he didn't like it.

As a hiker or sailor or anything else we are passionate about it would be easy to pick apart almost any movie about that subject. I can say that I will like the movie better than the book if Redford doesn't go into some of the tirades that Bryson did.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++