WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Redford needs to lose the obvious head-ferret.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

great! can't wait to see it. Nolte is just as I imagined Kaz

maybe i'll get lucky and see it like i saw the movie wild. $5 matinee in town while section hiking the trail. dam nyc/jersey prices for a movie probably $50 for movie ticket and a bag of popcorn by now. it's been a while since i been to a movie around here to pricey

Images

I'm looking forward to it. I think they are too old, but then again Paul Newman was signed up to do it before his death. Then again, it's "loosely" based on a book that is at best "loosely" based on a thru hike of the AT. I think it will be OK. As far as Redford and Nolte's acting, my favorite Redford movie is either "3 Days of the Condor" or "The Candidate" and I loved Nolte in the movie "Affliction" but we all of course have different likes and dislikes.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    great! can't wait to see it. Nolte is just as I imagined Kaz
    I imagined him 30 yrs younger. Hes 73, redfords 78.

I think this is what happens when someone is surrounded by syncophants. These guys are OLD.

I don't know why people care about the age. All I care about is will the movie be entertaining. Given how Hollywood likes to make changes to any movie adaption of a book, it may not even be the same story as the book. The age thing may change a certain aspect of the story, but it doesn't mean it will be better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I imagined him 30 yrs younger. Hes 73, redfords 78.

I think this is what happens when someone is surrounded by syncophants. These guys are OLD.
    Yes they are!! Way to old to be doing what they love to do.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

This is going to be great, I cannot stop laughing, so I read the book back when, 2000? 15 years ago so I am reading it again. Barrel of laughs, I just see Nolte playing Katz and cannot stop laughing.

IIRC, one of the issues with Katz was his weight and how being overweight affected his hike.

It doesn't seem to be that much of a shift to make the character older and have the age be one of the factors. Nolte has Katz's other personality quirks in spades.

I also think that Redford is a good match for Bryson. The only issue I have is I see Bryson as funny by default where my sense is Redford has to play funny.
    --

Hike Safe.

Has anyone heard anything about when it's supposed to show?

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I don't know why people care about the age. All I care about is will the movie be entertaining. Given how Hollywood likes to make changes to any movie adaption of a book, it may not even be the same story as the book. The age thing may change a certain aspect of the story, but it doesn't mean it will be better or worse.
    Excellent point. How old would be too old? I see people in their mid to late 70s a lot on trails, one of the most positive role models I have was an 80 year old fellow I ran across several years back that after our parting I wanted to be like him and doing this at 80 as well.

Its a movie taken from a book, adaptations will be different than the printed word. There is always artistic license taken from books to screenplays, then from screenplays to each scene. Very few, if any movies based on books follow the book accurately and fully (what would the point be if they did that). The story could translate to a very broad spectrum of people. It could be about a couple of kids at high school graduation starting their independence or a couple of seniors nearing the end of their independence.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about when it's supposed to show?
    They were looking for a distributor at Sundance. The showing wasn't that great I read. One major distributor walked out. I'm sure it'll get picked up eventually but I'm not sure how wide the distribution will be. My guess is they'll plug it in during one of the slow periods. Maybe Easter Sunday.
    --

Hike Safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++