WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer US42 to the NOC - Number of days

I am planning a section hike from US42 to the NOC. I have not spent time on the trail in Ga. and was curious as to how long this section typically takes. I know that everyone hikes at their own rate of speed but I am curious if 10 days would be in the ball park given one resupply (Nero).

Regards,

Rightfoot

Default Should have said two or three resupplies

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    I am planning a section hike from US42 to the NOC. I have not spent time on the trail in Ga. and was curious as to how long this section typically takes. I know that everyone hikes at their own rate of speed but I am curious if 10 days would be in the ball park given one resupply (Nero).

Regards,

Rightfoot

I should have said 2 or three resupplies.. Sorry...

its 137 miles..... so ten days is 13.7 a day which I would say is faster then most people go at the start AVG.... but very doable. as for resupplies you could always d Neal's, 30 miles in an either standing Indian campground 87 miles in ( never been there, heard its limited ) or Franklin 109 miles in

It is doable. I'd use additional resupplies to lessen the pack weight (Neals Gap, Dicks Creek Gap - hostel near trail, and/or Franklin).
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries

Easily doable.
    The only question is if you can do it.
    No one else can answer that for you.
    If you are average, its probably a bit aggressive.
    If you are above average with a light pack, no problem.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Easily doable.
    The only question is if you can do it.
    No one else can answer that for you.
    If you are average, its probably a bit aggressive.
    If you are above average with a light pack, no problem.
    Someone who's asking that question, rather than asking about particular conditions that will slow a hiker down, is likely inexperienced and moving at the speed of an average hiker or slower. Someone coming in with 'trail legs', or even someone who knows how long it takes that person's specific body to get them, is likely to look at mileage and elevation change; ask about hazards such as brush, mud, scrambles, and difficult water crossings; and make an estimate.

I say this as someone who is confidently well below the speed of an average hiker. I know it, and plan my clueless weekends accordingly.

If it is a newbie, I'd say: plan to make 8-12 mile days coming out of the gate, and replan if you're going significantly off that speed. Plan short mileage on the first day because stuff happens as you're packing up, getting to the trailhead, saddling up and getting moving.

For a newbie, also, on a ten-day trip you'll want at least one zero (or possibly near-o) day, to recharge batteries (literally and figuratively), do laundry, reorganize your gear, phone home, upload pictures, have a beer, or whatever. At least in my brief forays into longer distances than a weekend, I've found I've needed a break. We invented civilization for a reason, as much as some of us enjoy spending time away from it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I am hiking from Neels Gap to NOC in May and have planned 7 days/ 6 nights. I do a lot of prep hiking and running and stay in pretty descent shape and even this is going to be pretty strenuous for me. At 137 miles 10 days would be tough, especially if you are taking a couple neros to resupply. I think if I was doing it personally I would allow an extra day or two if I were you. It all depends on your pace and how long you are willing to hike each day.

What does your normal hiking day look like? (Miles and number of hours hiked)
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

It's an ambitious schedule for many hikers (not necessarily you). The good news is that there are plenty of places to get off the trai after ten days. If it were me, I'd park at The Hiker Hostel, get a shuttle to Springer, and start hiking north. When I am ready to be done, get a ride back to the car.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Average hiker will take 14 days. If in great shape and experienced 10 days is doable, but if that were the case you most likely would not be asking the question.

Plan to take at least 8 to 12 days, how many miles per day do you think your going to be capable of doing look at a trail guide and count the days, this isn't rocket science.

Hum, I found this from a post he made about a year ago:

While experienced, I am a slow hiker who tends to stop and soak in the views. I have a few questions and would welcome...
    If that is the case, 10 days to get to NOC with two or three resupply stops is very optimistic. 12 would be a little easier. (I would guess he's got a 2 week vacation window) When I do this section, I typically stop at Neels gap, Hiawaassee and Franklin, each of these being "nero's". Cutting the trip short at Franklin would be more suited for a 10 day trip. I think you'll find GA/NC a bit more difficult then what you've done so far in Virginia (how did those hikes go?.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The only real view in Georgia is the long, green canopy. Starting from Springer, the first camp is right miles away. I think there may be a reason for that distance. There is little real challenge in hiking conditions but if you haven't previously been hiking mountains you haven't really been doing conditioning for mountain hiking. You've just been walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can add my experience from last year. I did my first ever section hike last year starting at Springer and walking north until I had enough. I had about a 3 week window and didn't know where I would end up mileage wise so I didn't know what to plan for. I did write down my start and stop times each day in my book so I could learn to calculate my actual pace.

I had day hiked before but the only overnight hiking I had done was a one night gear shakedown a couple of weeks before my start. I workout or run almost daily so I stay in decent shape. My 4 day supply fully loaded pack was somewhere around 28-32lbs leaving Hiker Hostel. That included 2L of water and extra fruit I was going to eat on the bus. My normal walking pack was probably mid to upper 20s.

I got to the sign at Springer at 1030 on day 1 and reached the NOC at 1600 on day 9. I didn’t take any zeros. My shortest day was about 4 miles and my longest was 22 miles. The 4 mile day was getting in and out of Franklin. It ended up being a logistical challenge. I’m not super-fast but if it light and decent weather I like to be moving. I passed more people than I was passed by so I was moving at an above average pace. I camped the first 3 nights. Stayed in Hiawassee on day 4. Camped 2 days and then stayed in Franklin on day 7. Camped a night and then the NOC on day 9.
    I ended up coming off the trail at 441 Newfound Gap on day 14 of my hike which ended up being my last day on the trail. Aside from some gear adjustments the only thing I would change is the amount of food I carried. I wasn’t ever sure how long I was going to be out of range of a resupply so I carried 4 days of food most of the time. I ended up stopping to resupply with a couple of days food left sometimes.

++ New Posts ++