WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Darn Tough Question

I am considering two pair of the Darn Tough Merino Wool Hiking Socks as I have had horrific issues with blisters over the years. Do they run true to size? I wear a men 11 wide boot (foot size is anywhere from 10.5 to 12 depending on the make.)

Thank you for your positive feed back.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Images

I use extra large and some types are a touch tight after a year of washing, but not to the point of causing blisters, while others are still OK.

The worst problem is that occasionally, 4 times to be exact, one of a pair will dissolve in the washer. I have 4 sox that don't match. I still use them for hiking, though. No one has complained about mis-matched sox yet. Not sure if the warranty covers this.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

they do run true to size in my experience. I'm around11.5 and wear the large, have some pairs that are several years old. They have been great socks.

They run true to size and are excellent socks.

Images

Yes, but I get XL even though I wear an 11 and should get L. They do get a little smaller in the wash and I prefer some extra room in the toe or I lose more toenails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I find Darn Tough socks to be tight - so I buy a larger size than I usually do.

They run a little tight for me. I wear size 9 shoes and the Medium are snug. I wear them fight but I'd prefer if they were a tag bit bigger. I'll order Large next time.
    --

Hike Safe.

I give you credit for exploring solutions to the blister issues by considering two pr of Darn Tough socks. That could, however, cause greater issues to blisters IF you aren't allowing for the additional needed interior volume of your footwear. Have you also tried a silk sock liner possibly under a thinner merino sock, switching to different shoes that are NOT boots that have a bit more flexible upper especially in the width, and possibly much greater breathability, and tried anti friction balms that are applied on your sensitive to blister areas BEFORE beginning a hike?

Journal Entries

Fine for me at 11.5. I dont want wrinkles in my socks.

I picked up some Darn Tough socks on my AT hike & was very impressed with them. They seemed to be sized a little snug.

You didn't mention where you were having blister issues. I've used several methods to minimize or eliminate blister problems.
    1. With conventional wool socks, I'll add some Blistershield Food Powder in the sock. Really works well. I'll add some more powder each day. Note: I never use a sock liner. Personal preference. I normally use this system.
    2. Use Injinji toe socks (I prefer the wool blend over the synthetic for hiking). Any toe-to-toe rubbing is done against fabric instead of skin. Note: I occasionally use this method in hiking. I always use this method when running.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries
    Images

If you get blisters your shoes are too small. Buy bigger ones as your feet swell when hiking with a pack. It will make all the difference.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I give you credit for exploring solutions to the blister issues by considering two pr of Darn Tough socks. That could, however, cause greater issues to blisters IF you aren't allowing for the additional needed interior volume of your footwear. Have you also tried a silk sock liner possibly under a thinner merino sock, switching to different shoes that are NOT boots that have a bit more flexible upper especially in the width, and possibly much greater breathability, and tried anti friction balms that are applied on your sensitive to blister areas BEFORE beginning a hike?

Two pair = one on my feet one in my pack. In my home town there are three companies that make liner socks, so yes, I have and use liners. I have access to some of the best socks made so I am somewhat of a sock snob. Very many brand name socks are produced by the same factories and tagged differently but they come off the same production lines. One thing that is great is that many of the sock companies also make glove liners, Balaclavas, and wrist-lets as well, so I have a lot to choose from for free--if you know someone.

Thor-Lo is made just a few miles away and they have an outlet store for seconds and discontinued items so I have some of the best of theirs and they have "test" products like wool socks that are awesome.

Me switching to Darn Tough and paying money is almost unbelievable.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Images

If you have a hookup with quality socks, then why pay for another? I would suggest introducing the word "duct tape" into the daily foot care package, and make sure the shoes are properly fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I picked up some Darn Tough socks on my AT hike & was very impressed with them. They seemed to be sized a little snug. You didn't mention where you were having blister issues. I've used several methods to minimize or eliminate blister problems. 1. With conventional wool socks, I'll add some Blistershield Food Powder in the sock. Really works well. I'll add some more powder each day. Note: I never use a sock liner. Personal preference. I normally use this system. 2. Use Injinji toe socks (I prefer the wool blend over the synthetic for hiking). Any toe-to-toe rubbing is done against fabric instead of skin. Note: I occasionally use this method in hiking. I always use this method when running.

I have had blisters my entire time in the field for forty years. Heels seem to be the worst, but I can get them on the balls of my feet, on my toes and even between my toes. I wear Vasque Sundowners, Merrill GT somethings, Herman survivors, Keen Newports, Civil War Brogans, WWII Brogans,...you name it and I have a problem.

Heck when I was a forest ranger (1994-1995) I wore Whites, expensive boots for the job, and had problems. It's just my feet. The problem only occurs on the first day and then it resolves itself. If I stop for a week, it will happen again.

I have Liners and they do help, hot spots instead of the blisters. I am going to try the injinin toe liners with the Darn Tough to see if this changes things.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Size 12 shoe and size Lg DT Socks for me. I find with time they conform to the shape of your feet - snug where you want them to be snug, and stretched where you want them stretched.

Images

I find they run a little tight. I moved to the next size up and am happy. Great socks.
    Last edited by imscotty; 01-30-2015 at 12:34.

Injini toe liners are awesome, especially if your toes rub like mine do.

I wear a 12-13 depending on shoe.
    My Brooks are 13's.
    Darn Tough's are XL.
    Like a little wiggle room for my toes.
    My have not shrunk but I hang dry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I find they run a little tight. I move to the next size up and am happy. Great socks.
    As others have said, they tend to "shrink in size" a little over time. Regarding blisters, try Bodyglide, http://www.bodyglide.com/products/skin-glide/ (ointment, not the stick) I rub it in very well, especially between my toes. This helps keep me blister free.

Socks don't solve or cause blisters. Improper fitting shoes/boots and a lack of hygiene/footcare cause blisters.

But since you asked, Darn Tough socks are pretty true to their name, in my experience.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++