WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your pack(s)

My first pack was a 2nd generation osprey aether 85, went over 400 miles of backpacking with that.
    When I wanted to go lighter I first tried a ula catalyst, just that for another several hundred but I never found it comfortable and got rid of it.
    Then I got an aether 70 in the xl size which fit very well but still so heavy. Then I got a granite gear crown. Did a couple hundred miles in both.
    The crown was comfortable but it had a floppy framesheet which required careful pack and when not reasonably full could be a pain. I also tried a elemental horizon aquilo which was about the same weight as the crown but had a rigid frame.
    Finally I got a unaweep backpack from seekoutside. Only a little over 3 pounds and the most comfortable out of all of them. I got rid of all my other packs and bought a second.

Default ULA Circuit and Garcia

On the JMT the Garcia canister fitted horizontally in the Circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    My first pack was a 2nd generation osprey aether 85, went over 400 miles of backpacking with that.
    When I wanted to go lighter I first tried a ula catalyst, just that for another several hundred but I never found it comfortable and got rid of it.
    Then I got an aether 70 in the xl size which fit very well but still so heavy. Then I got a granite gear crown. Did a couple hundred miles in both.
    The crown was comfortable but it had a floppy framesheet which required careful pack and when not reasonably full could be a pain. I also tried a elemental horizon aquilo which was about the same weight as the crown but had a rigid frame.
    Finally I got a unaweep backpack from seekoutside. Only a little over 3 pounds and the most comfortable out of all of them. I got rid of all my other packs and bought a second.
    What kind of weight are you carrying? Just curious given the pack volume you're using.

I would say that in the summer my base weight is around 13 to 15 pounds, in winter up to 20 to 21 pounds. I just like big packs and don't understand the appeal of stuffing everything into the smallest possible space. I am not nor ever will be an extreme ultralighter with a BW under 10 pounds, I have no interest. In the summer I just put my quilt a really big stuff sack, put my crocs inside the pack and make use the the packs compression. The unaweep in particular has such excellent compression that even if it is only 1/2 full or loosely packed it doesn't matter. Just because you have a larger pack that can carry a heavy load doesn't mean you have to fill it or carry a heavy load it in. The unaweep only weighs a little over 3 pounds. Sure I could use a smaller 2 pound pack but I don't see the point, others probably dissagree.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    I would say that in the summer my base weight is around 13 to 15 pounds, in winter up to 20 to 21 pounds. I just like big packs and don't understand the appeal of stuffing everything into the smallest possible space. I am not nor ever will be an extreme ultralighter with a BW under 10 pounds, I have no interest. In the summer I just put my quilt a really big stuff sack, put my crocs inside the pack and make use the the packs compression. The unaweep in particular has such excellent compression that even if it is only 1/2 full or loosely packed it doesn't matter. Just because you have a larger pack that can carry a heavy load doesn't mean you have to fill it or carry a heavy load it in. The unaweep only weighs a little over 3 pounds. Sure I could use a smaller 2 pound pack but I don't see the point, others probably dissagree.
    Funny you bring up the unaweep. It's a pretty much perfect ultralight pack for when you need to do extra large food or water hauls (the kind you don't usually see anyone attempt on the AT). All the weight of that pack is functional.

And just because your pack starts out at 60lbs, doesn't necessarily mean you're not ultralight. It could mean you have 50lbs of food and water! :P
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

ULA Circuit I love it.

Klymit Motion 60 - 60L total and 2.6 lb. Air frame. I just picked this one up. Very comfortable and roomy. Handles 55 lb loads no problem. Well made but only time will tell just how well made.
    Kelty Blazer hip bag (not the silly convertible jacket thingy) - best dang hip bag ever made. It has thousands of miles on it. Nearly indestructible Spectra. This is my go to day pack and 2-3 UL pack. About a pound. MOLLE compatible. Even has compression straps and full size padded belt. Love this bag.

Journal Entries
    Images

In order from oldest to newest:

The North Face Terra 55
    Kelty Coyote 80
    Osprey Aura 65 (used first half of last year)
    ULA Catalyst (my go to pack & trainer)

I also have in my posession a US Army issue ALICE pack and a MOLLE pack. Both are ridiculously sturdy but also ridiculously heavy, and neither have ever seen the AT.

I'm looking at getting the Osprey Exos 50 or a ULA Ohm for this summer.

If anyone has any other ideas for a 50-60 L pack under 36 oz I'm all ears.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post

The North Face Terra 55
    Kelty Coyote 80

I also have in my posession a US Army issue ALICE pack and a MOLLE pack. Both are ridiculously sturdy but also ridiculously heavy, and neither have ever seen the AT.

REI Flash 45. A Large is actually a 50L. $90 on sale right now. I got one. Like it so far

The North Face Terra 55
    Kelty Coyote 80

I'm also thinking about ohm 2.0....love my circuit but could go alittle smaller when I'm not toting any of my kids gear.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    REI Flash 45. A Large is actually a 50L. $90 on sale right now. I got one. Like it so far
    Ya know, i looked at it right after I posted. 34 ounces and 45L (I'd need a small). Looking really good for a few quick "out & backs".
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

This is, by far, one of the most meaningful, reassuring threads that I've ever read on White Blaze! My wife just about had me convinced that I had backpack collecting (she calls it hoarding) problem!
    Whew! Now I know I'm normal.

Default Packs

Circuit and Zpacks ArcBlast, I had the Circuit first -great pack but it doesn't get out Much now I have the Arc Blast.

Images

I have an Osprey Volt 60 and an Osprey Talon 44 from 2013 (they have a newer model now). I believe the Talon weighs in right at 2 lbs, 8 oz, and it rides on my back much better than the Volt.

I went to Wind River Range last August with the Talon, and it had almost too much room for 6 days and 5 nights.

Don't know how they measure the liters in a backpack, but the Talon holds a hell of a lot more than the Volt, IMO. The Talon is more like a sack, so it's easy to keep stuffing things in.

Images

The North Face Terra 55
    Kelty Coyote 80

The Osprey Talon 44 is my pack and I love it to death...It's 36 oz in the S/M, and 38 oz in the L

Ya know, i looked at it right after I posted. 34 ounces and 45L (I'd need a small). Looking really good for a few quick "out & backs".
    The Flash 45 is certainly a pack you want to try on. I'm 5'8" with a 18.5" torso. After throwing 25lbs in both packs and wearing them for quite some time. I decided the large was for me. Lots of people agree that then torso lengths run smaller than advertised.

As well as many others, I have a lot of different packs. Up until recently, my Mystery Ranch Deep Trance was my go-to pack. However, now, my SeekOutside Paradox Unaweep 3 lbs pack is my absolute favorite pack. See http://SeekOutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/. I love that it can comfortably carry as much weight as you care to carry (i.e., well over 100 lbs), but handles really small and light loads as well!

Summer: Black Diamond 50 internal. Winter: Trekker 65 external.

The Flash 45 large is actually a 50 L pack.

BACKPACKS:
    2014 OSPREY EXOS 58 60 liters(W/ Granite Gear side pockets 2 liters & Seek Outside silnylon front pouch "wet rib" 1.5 liters - total 63.5 liters
    Dana Designs Terraplane & Wet Rib front pouch 75 liters
    Tough Traveller W/ TT side pockets 55 liters (Old pack given to all Nordic patrollers when I was an Olympic XC patroller @ the '80 Winter Olympics. LakePlacid, NY.)

DAY PACKS:
    Vaude 15 liter
    REI Flash UL 10 liter
    NSP patrol pack 18 liter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++