WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Yoseki Skywalker's Avatar

Question Swim 1000+ Miles And Thru-Hike AT In Same Year

I am planning a northbound, solo thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail this year, starting at Springer Mt on April 15, 2015.

I also am trying swim over 1,000 miles this year.

Does anyone know if this has ever been before? In other words, has anyone thru-hiked the AT while swimming over 1,000 miles in the same year?

I would like to become the first person to do this.

Thank you.
    For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

swim where?

I live in Pasadena and swim at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center and in the Braun and Alumni Pools at Caltech. I also am planning to do some open water swimming while hiking the AT.
    For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Journal Entries
    Images

With some 15000 people having hiked the entire AT, who knows? One thing is for sure, some thru hikers have accomplished some amazing feats that you never hear about.

Even among the most accomplished and renowned, how many people know of the thru hiker who rowed across the Atlantic-- not to mention of his other cool adventures.

I did a quick google on the terms NCAA, swimmer, and Appalachian Trail and came up with this thru hiker.

http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports...NDERSON_JUSTIN

You would know better than me how many miles athletes at that level log in the pool as a matter of routine, but I am thinking it could be a lot. But again, that was just a quick search.

Being the second or third to do what you are looking at would be no less of an accomplishment-- if that indeed turned out to be the case. I wish you good luck.
    Last edited by rickb; 01-30-2015 at 17:26.

Images

Already been done. thru hike plus 1250 miles swimming. the good news is you can be the first to thru hike and swim 1251 miles.

Thank you Malto, I think I will shoot for that. Who was the thru-hiker/swimmer, and when did he/she do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoseki Skywalker View Post
    Thank you Malto, I think I will shoot for that. Who was the thru-hiker/swimmer, and when did he/she do it?
    Who ever hikes 1250 miles of the AT in the rain

Not too many places you can swim along the AT, though once you get into PA you start to come across small ponds on a fairly regular bases. Some of these are suitable for swimming. They say Nuclear lake is safe these days, but with a name like that...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Been a swimmer since I was 4 years old. Had my last meet last December in 2014 and will be hiking starting next week.

are there swimming websites that are the aquatic equivalent of WB.... where you can go and have people tell you what swimsuit is the best (and lightest), which way you need to swim in order for the record to count, etc.?

Most of the towns along the trail are very small and not many will have public pools, though you may be able to hitch to larger towns that have Ys. On the trail, you are high in the mountains. Creeks are generally pretty small and you don't get many lakes until you get to New England. It may be feasible, but it will definitely complicate your hike, simply trying to find venues.

Just a word of caution. about 2 years ago there was a hiker who drowned swimming in water that was thought maybe to have a thermacline (varying temps at different levels) during the summer months, he likely cramped and then drown...it happens. Does anyone remember his trail name it escapes me just now.

++ New Posts ++