WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Professional Wanderer and Seeker Left Hand's Avatar

Default Looking for reviews of Uniqlo Brand

I a a big believer in the, "you get what you pay for" philosophy. But every now and then a piece of gear is both dependable and moderately priced.

Does anyone have first hand experience of Uniqlo? They have a line of ultra light down jackets that seem to good to be true.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen from a bough without ever having
    felt sorry for itself.
    D.H. Lawrence

I own one and my wife has one they seem made well come with a stuff sack and work for us.

I have an Xl ul parka one and it weighs 10.2 oz on my scale without stuff sack.

Only thing is the main zipper is not as beefy as the one on my Montbell Ul down jacket and opens on left side instead of the right.

Images

I've been using the parka and vest for the last 3 years. The parka is more of a sweater and works great as a layering piece. You have to be careful with the zipper but so far so good. It's comfortable into the 40's.

Left Hand - I am with you on this search. I did find favorable reviews of Uniqlo through Google Search. Also, I think that Mags did a review of these Jackets as well. However, after even contacting the company directly, I could not get a weight in ounces for any of their products.

Azneonguy, thanks for being the first person to give weight information. Would luv to hear your opinion - if money where no option - would you prefer your Montbell UL Down Jacket or the comparable Uniqlo? I know that this is hard because your Parka is a different Jacket for a different purpose than the Montbell. That is why I am trying to get "Apples to Apples".

Bottom line, is that I wish they would post the weight of their Jackets...so frustrating.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Left Hand - I am with you on this search. I did find favorable reviews of Uniqlo through Google Search. Also, I think that Mags did a review of these Jackets as well. However, after even contacting the company directly, I could not get a weight in ounces for any of their products.

Azneonguy, thanks for being the first person to give weight information. Would luv to hear your opinion - if money where no option - would you prefer your Montbell UL Down Jacket or the comparable Uniqlo? I know that this is hard because your Parka is a different Jacket for a different purpose than the Montbell. That is why I am trying to get "Apples to Apples".

Bottom line, is that I wish they would post the weight of their Jackets...so frustrating.
    Heh, glad to hear I am not the only one to contact their customer service to ask about the weight.

i have a montbell ul down parka and a uniqlo down parka. the uniqlo is a great choice for the price.

also, i have a pair of their airism underwear and they are excellent. very odor resistant and fast drying. and they fit way better than ex-officio, and are like half the price.

I just tried out the water resistant Uniclo down jacket with hood and it was way too thin for me.
    Very light at 10oz for an XL but super thin. A JCP puffer is a good bit thicker.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I own both and have real experience with both in the backcountry. (The Montbell was a generous gift for volunteer work)

The Montbell UL w hood and the Uniqlo hooded parka, men's large, are very similar in terms of warm, weight (The Uniqlo is 10oz for a men's large, the MB a smidge under) and features.

The Montbell is a finely crafted luxury good. Cinchable waist, a non-cinchable hood but has a visor stiffner that is a really nice touch. The MB UL has a better cut and frankly looks nicer vs the Uniqlo.

The Uniqlo, to me, has the same warmth as the Montbell UL jacket.

Both are more of a 200wt fleece replacement than a winter or even late Fall jacket IMO.

The Uniqlo is a good, mid-level priced jacket that while not quite the level of the Montbell in terms of craftsmanship or styling, does make a very functional piece for the backcountry in three season or so conditions. Aesthetically, it is a little baggier cut vs the Montbell UL but would not look out of place at your favorite hipster coffee shop either. The zipper is needs a small amount of TLC but nothing too bad.

I do wear the Montbell UL more as it is a step better, but I was quite happy with the Uniqlo.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I agree with Mags on most parts....My Montbell Ul doesn't have a cinchable waist.... while the Uniglo has an elastic in the waist hem so it actually fits a little better to me there ,chest wise I am barrel chested so both fit good there. Really to me I like them both used both down to mid 20s as part of a layering system. Got both on sale but even then the Mont bell was twice the price. So would I say the Mont bell is worth twice the price imho probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by azneonguy View Post
    I agree with Mags on most parts....My Montbell Ul doesn't have a cinchable waist....
    The waist cinchers should be in the pockets? At least they are in mine?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

There was a review published in Trail Groove not that long ago: http://www.trailgroove.com/issue18.html?autoflip=73
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The waist cinchers should be in the pockets? At least they are in mine?
    Hey Mags you had me go check my pockets in my Mont bell jacket never use them ...but no waist cinchers. Maybe the parkas are different don't know but definitely no waist cinches on my Montbell Ul jacket.

Thanks for all the reviews and responses, I just can't decide whether to pay $69 and see if it works or pay $155 and get the name brand and know exactly what I am getting. At 6ft 190, I am looking to go with a Large and hope that it will fit snug under my Marmot Precip that is an XL and has a little space to fit over layers. I don't plan on hiking in Down (unless life/death) and was leaning towards the Montbell because of it's backup as part of my quilt sleep system and the exact know Oz I am packing. I don't need a hood (BlackRock Down Cap) so trying to go as light and mid layer for camp use as I can. Size wise, do they run about the same, other than whether the waist is cinchable or not?

Like the OP, the Uniqlo may be to good to pass up - but I am still fighting it - lol. Of course, Uniqlo had XS's on Sale for $30 - if any of the others get that low...I am sold!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Professional Wanderer and Seeker Left Hand's Avatar

Agreed. Thanks for all the reviews from people with first-hand knowledge and the links to other reviews. All very helpful.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen from a bough without ever having
    felt sorry for itself.
    D.H. Lawrence

They do run about the same in terms of sizing, but again the MB has a less baggy cut.

I wear a men's large in both FWIW.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    They do run about the same in terms of sizing, but again the MB has a less baggy cut.

I wear a men's large in both FWIW.
    It's worth a lot! As are your reviews, the trail show, and your opinion, along with others. The less bagging cut, the better zipper, and the 800 down (vs. 750? in the Uniqlo), and the known weight of the Montebell, all made a difference. I still like the more elastic like sleeves and green color for the Uniqlo. However, Backcountry had 17 Lg Gunmetal on sale for $109; so I pulled the trigger and went with the Montebell.

This site is awesome for research and discussion of gear! Money is hard to come by and the "devil is in the details", so it is nice to be able to post and reflect on issues that we are so passionate about!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

I did a day hike with the Uniqlo Parka in 11-13 degree F temps with just an REI midweight base and long sleeve under armour shirt on and I was fine while hiking. Got a tad chilled while stopping for lunch though. For the price, it's pretty hard to beat.

I have 2 jackets: one with the hood and one without. I love them! I have been in the rain, snow, sleet, and mist. While I have not used them in the backcountry, they have gotten hundreds of hours of use in the urban jungle. I run on the warm side so a lightweight long sleeve shirt underneath is usually all I need when temps are below 40 degrees. Also, their long underwear kicks butt as well.

I just purchased the Uniqlo, hooded, Men's XL, after trying them in the store. I'm a woman but they don't even carry large enough women's sizes in the stores for me to try, although they have larger sizes on-line. Well, for what it's worth, the sales guy said a lot of women buy the men's jackets. I am saying all this because people are describing the Uniqlo as baggy and I didn't find it so. One reason I usually take men's sizes is that they are generally sized for a two inch difference between waist and hips, which is what I have, while larger women's sizes will have an 8 inch difference which I do find baggy. I usually take a men's large, which is sometimes too big, but they were cut so slim that I needed an XL and the waist/hip part is still slim but comfortable and I could put my hands in the pockets without it being too tight. So, not at all baggy, and actually quite attractive. On my scale which seems to get the right weights for other items, it weighs 9.9 ounces, so I'm wondering if they have changed the cut since the above reviews.
    I tend to run cold and I found it comfortable on it's own down to the low 40's, while just sitting around in camp. A couple of days ago I was out in temps that went down to about 34 degrees and I was a little chilly when not moving but it was fine with an extra nylon layer.
    I like that it has zippered pockets, and I'm not using it in temps where I would actually wear it hiking but the pockets are kind of where my hip belt sits so not useful for that purpose.
    It does come with a nice stuff sack but it also stuffs just fine into a pocket even though that was clearly not the intent. For me, that means one less thing to lose, but a sack that will have other uses.
    Altogether I'm quite happy with it
    However, when it got close to freezing, the first thing I thought to do was pull out my awesome EE 20dg quilt and wrap myself in it. I remember reading in an UL thread that someone was using a quilt as parka with something pulled over it to hold it in place - perhaps a rain jacket? It had me wondering why nobody has yet customized a convertable quilt/jacket to create one more multi-use item.

Although I have my hoity toity UL down jacket and vest backpacking apparel squared away(Patgaonia, Montbell, RAB, MH, TNF, etc.) IF I was tramping around Europe for 30-60 days in early spring late fall doing a mix of multi wk hikes and in town stays I wouldn't hesitate to consider trashing one of these. http://www.costco.com/Gerry-Men%E2%8...100162182.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++