WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've had no experience with them, but they make ultralight underwear that has a reputation for being both cheap and good quality. I researched them pretty extensively a while back, and the only reason that I didn't buy any was because they were on back order for so long that I ended out going with something that is a bit lighter but much more expensive.

Note: they are a Japanese company, I believe, and they use Japanese sizing, which is a bit smaller than USA sizing. If you are on the border of sizes, make sure to check out the relative fit of the item that you are considering before placing your order. Also, they seemed to have very knowledgeable people. They have a toll free number, and the people that I spoke to knew their products. They have some brick and mortar stores in the USA, if you happen to be lucky enough to live near one.

Since I last posted early this year, I have been continued to be impressed by the performance of this jacket, especially given the price vs weight. I took the hood less jacket on over a dozen backpack trips and have nothing bad to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Type38 View Post
    I did a day hike with the Uniqlo Parka in 11-13 degree F temps with just an REI midweight base and long sleeve under armour shirt on and I was fine while hiking. Got a tad chilled while stopping for lunch though. For the price, it's pretty hard to beat.

Maybe should have worn some pants...

I've used a uniqlo down jacket for all but my NE summer hikes for the last two winters. I also use their windshirt. Together the two cost about 80 dollars, and I find that the price influences how I use them. They both get used around town and on most of my trips. I don't worry about them as much or baby them like I have other down items from more expensive brands in the past. I treat them almost like a fleece jacket. The down jacket has been extremely durable, and warm, especially with a shell over it. Great as an extra layer for sleeping too. It's been stuffed extensively, while traveling, and always bounced back. For any backpacker, I would absolutely recommend these pieces of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I've had no experience with them, but they make ultralight underwear that has a reputation for being both cheap and good quality...
    I hike in the lightest wt, cheapest and best quality underwear....the brand is called The Emperor's New Clothes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I hike in the lightest wt, cheapest and best quality underwear....the brand is called The Emperor's New Clothes.
    You mean barefoot, huh?

Journal Entries

There was a group on BPL that tried and liked the Uniqlo jackets, search the old posts there.

My opinion, is never to buy gear that doesnt meet your desires, regardless of price. If anything doesnt , you will spend the money again eventually.

Make sure every detail meets your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Although I have my hoity toity UL down jacket and vest backpacking apparel squared away(Patgaonia, Montbell, RAB, MH, TNF, etc.) IF I was tramping around Europe for 30-60 days in early spring late fall doing a mix of multi wk hikes and in town stays I wouldn't hesitate to consider trashing one of these. http://www.costco.com/Gerry-Men%E2%8...100162182.html
    I saw these on sale and picked up a couple for my kids. how would you rate these in comparison to any of those hoity toity ones?..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++