WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Northbound or southbound through GSMNP?

Planning a section hike through GSMNP in Sept. Would like advice as to the best way to go through, northbound or southbound? Will need to fly in to Knoxville or Asheville. Thanks!

I have done it both ways on several occasions and personally feel that south bound is easier but I like northbound d better. Either way is a lot of ups and downs.

Note that you can avoid a shuttle by creating a loop from one end of the park to the other with the Benton Mackaye Trail.

If I was going to do a section in the GSMNP I wouldn't do the AT I would instead by linking other trails together and do like a ZigZag pattern through the park but that would take more time and more food.

The elevations at either end are nearly identical so there's no mathematical advantage to either direction. That said, hiking north out of Fontana breaks the climbs into segments -you start out with a fairly moderate climb up Shuckstack then a downhill to Birch Spring then a series of climbs up to the state line 'till Mollies' Ridge. After that its a series of ups and downs trending up all the way to Clingman's Dome (the highpoint). Southbound you essentially do one enormous climb up outta' Davenport Gap all the way up Inadu Knob - after that, well graded trail from there 'till Clingman's Dome. One trend worth noting is the fact that the north half (north of Newfound Gap) is very well graded trail while the southern half has more steep ups and downs and is less well graded. Also, the ecosystems of the two halves is fairly different - fontana dam to Clingman's is mostly hardwood forests while from clingman's north to Inadu Knob its primarily a spruce-fir forest (very new england-like). So, pick your poison - either direction has big climbs and much beauty.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Images

It might be easier one way or the other for shelter stays, how far is the most you are going to try? I would not wish to walk from pecks to mt collins but I would rather do icewater to silers there are alot of variations. pecks and mt collins are each a few minutes off the trail and require a climb to get back to the trail.

I appreciate the detail. We are just starting to plan and the logistics are more difficult than we expected, coming from Florida and both of us "flatlanders". Since you live in that area, can you recommend shuttle service to and from either Asheville or Knoxville airports? If we drive, it will be to Asheville and leave the car at the airport long term parking. Knoxville if we fly...

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    Note that you can avoid a shuttle by creating a loop from one end of the park to the other with the Benton Mackaye Trail.
    Time permitting, this is some awesome advice right there.

Journal Entries

Or, if money isn't an obstacle, you could do a double shuttle - start at Newfound Gap, and hike north. Then shuttle back to NFG and hike south. No huge climbs that way. We did it that way, but we live in Knoxville and self-shuttled.
    Since you have a lot of time till your trip, you could try and find someone else hiking the park, and coordinate a key swap or something.
    You mentioned that you might drive up to Asheville, and then leave your car there. If you've driven your car all that way, seems like you might as well use it. Might make some of your logistics easier.

Images

Since you live in that area, can you recommend shuttle service to and from either Asheville or Knoxville airports? If we drive, it will be to Asheville and leave the car at the airport long term parking. Knoxville if we fly...

i think you'll have better luck getting a ride from the knoxville airport..........

its much closer to park than the asheville airport............like half the time......

a walk in the woods or some taxi services can give you a ride from the knoxville airport....

or depending upon date and my schedule----i could do it for ya.........

or if you park your car----park it closer to the park.............like at standing bear hostel on the davenport gap side...

or you could keep it parked at fontana as well..............fontana is pretty safe..............

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Many say the views are better on the north end of the park. So if you're the type that like to "save the best for last", you might want to consider north bound.

Thanks to everyone! Great suggestions that will help us plan. Excited to see this beautiful area!

Do you happen to know if parking is safe and available at the NOC Wesser?

++ New Posts ++