WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default anybody here ever backpacked in Scotland?

I am heading over there for 5 weeks beginning in late may. I am going to hike the WHW because it appears to be their version of the AT, albeit a bit shorter. then backpack across the island of Skye. After that, I am open to anything. i am looking at the cape Wraith trail as well but want to ensure that I see as much of the country as I can. Of course, I may visit a distillery or two for a wee dram.

I have done some research into this on their forums but for the most part, their idea of hiking appears to be similar to the White Mountain hikers...i.e, walk 8 miles from lodge to lodge with a daypack. I am seeking input from people with more of a long distance hikers mindset.

also, it it easy to catch a hitch over there?

TIA for any help/input.

Images

I have been hiking and backpacking in Scotland about every other summer since 1990. I backpacked the WHW twice, once in each direction. I'ts mostly a tourist trail at only 95 miles or so. You can hike B&B to B&B or have your stuff transported on it. There are lots of other "long distance" walks there. I backpacked the Great Glen Way a couple of years ago and found it pretty boring. My best backpack was on a route called now the Cape Wrath Trail. I hiked it with a former AT Thru-hiker from 1999 trail name "Enlightened Rogue". When we hiked it it was not an official trail, but just a route described in a book. "North to the Cape" by Denis Brooke and Phil Hinchcliffe. It was about 300 miles and I highly recommend it. Here are links to out Blog, or my U-Tube about the CWT. May is absolutely the best time to hike in Scotland for the weather and before the Infernal Midges come out to drive you crazy.

People have asked my why I love to hike and climb in Scotland. I love above tree line hiking, but since I was exposed to some pretty damaging chemicals in VietNam, I am very prone to HAPE and need to keep my elevations below 10,000 feet ASL. Scotland is almost all treeless and although they only have a handful of mountains above 4000 feet, many of the climbs start at sea level or slightly above.

www.samohtw.blogspot.com
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vGnKRlPZh5wQHp
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fjuRrUsq-eZi-C

Hitching is easy, and the public transport is very good.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Scotland is pretty easy to get around, as mentioned either by hitching or train or bus. I didn't find the locals to be as friendly as the Irish, but the Irish are pretty damned friendly, so don't take that as a slam against the Scots. Be aware of the Scottish laws on where you can camp. I think at the time of year you're going you will avoid the lambing season, but there are still certain rules about camping that you should know. They aren't particularly restrictive, but when in Rome and all.

Be aware that you will be hiking during midge season, so take that into consideration. They're a tiny black fly similar to a gnat or a noseeum. I was happy to have mosquito netting for my hat. Also, they're attracted more to dark colors, so wear lighter clothing and have them treated with permethrin. Deet works as well.

You will enjoy Scotland, it's beautiful. If you are a whiskey lover, it's fun to go see some of the distilleries. Also, don't forget to enjoy some haggis and some pasties while you're there, and get yourself a full English brekkie at least once.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

thanks for the responses...one last question (until I think of the next one). When I look at their websites which indicate mileage (or km) on their stages, they allow for a very generous (or even slow) pace. the elevation changes (or PUDs as we affectionately call them here on the AT) on their trails appear to be rather minor (when compared to the AT) so I have to assume that the footing underneath is very slow. Sort of like the AT in Pa. where the elevation changes make you think you can go fast but you really can't because of the rock hopping. Or....they expect the typical hiker to stroll along at a very leisurely pace. By no means would I be considered fast by typical thru hiker standards but i can manage to move a bit (or alot) quicker than what they suggest. Is there something I am missing?

this is important to me as I plan because i want to secure in advance a few rooms in hotels/hostels/B & B's/etc.

TIA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    thanks for the responses...one last question (until I think of the next one). When I look at their websites which indicate mileage (or km) on their stages, they allow for a very generous (or even slow) pace. the elevation changes (or PUDs as we affectionately call them here on the AT) on their trails appear to be rather minor (when compared to the AT) so I have to assume that the footing underneath is very slow. Sort of like the AT in Pa. where the elevation changes make you think you can go fast but you really can't because of the rock hopping. Or....they expect the typical hiker to stroll along at a very leisurely pace. By no means would I be considered fast by typical thru hiker standards but i can manage to move a bit (or alot) quicker than what they suggest. Is there something I am missing?

this is important to me as I plan because i want to secure in advance a few rooms in hotels/hostels/B & B's/etc.

TIA.
    When we walked the Cape Wrath Trail a couple of years ago, there were a number of places where there was no apparent trail. That resulted in very slow movement cross country due to the often very boggy footing. One Scottish term we learned to understand was "Peat Hags". http://www.ywt.org.uk/what-we-do/we-...p/how-do-we--3 We would be walking along in the rocky, low bracken at a pretty good rate and then we would enter an area totally covered with Peat Hags. Then the detouring would begin. Some of the black smelly peat mud would appear to be several feet deep. You felt that if you fell or stepped into this morass you would disappear forever. Or at least someone would dig your corpse up several centuries in the future like these guys. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ence-iron-age/

My hiking buddy who had done an AT Thru 10 years prior was astounded that our daily mileage was so low on the hike. The CWT is only about 215 miles, but when we finished I went on to walk the West Highland Way SOBO since I wasn't done walking yet.

This particular route is now part of the International Appalachian Trail http://www.iat-sia.org/index.php?page=scotland

I have stayed at quite a number of Hostels and can make recommendations if you know where you are going to walk. Also you should check this out. I have been a member for a number of years. http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

On our CWT hike we only had three days of rain. Unusual, but not that rare in May.

TW
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

This Blogspot has description of the terrain, especially of detours and bogs.

http://www.samohtw.blogspot.com/?m=1

Be sure to try the "single malts".

Yeah, the European hikers like to stay in their bunk-houses at night.
    Takes a bit away from the experience IMO, but adds something too.
    I hitchhiked around Scotland for a month 2 decades ago and did some hiking around Ben Nevis, road bikes around the Isle of Skye.
    It's a vast, green, area with not many roads.
    The accent was tough.
    Enjoy
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

++ New Posts ++