WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I think I solved the "camp shoe" or "no camp shoe" debate....SUPER LIGHT, and ROBUST!

I have discovered this(probably been done before, but in my mind this is MINE)

VersaToes.....neoprene "ballet" type slippers, at TJMaxx....$5

Fit great, like aqua shoes....dry in like 5 minutes once wet....pack smaller than pair of ankle socks...

Check this out....remove insoles from hiking shoes, insert in slipper, insert foot......nice robust "sole" that soaks up rock bumps, etc.....allows for stream crossings, etc....the foam insole from shoe doesn't take on water either....

1.9 ounce, "custom fitted" as sole is already molded to foot, basically waterproof, packs tiny, cheap, durable camp/water shoe...

Why not take these...debate over for me.....

hey good idea, I'll check them out next time I get to TJ Maxx.

thanks

Nice find.

What is the sole made of ?
    (ballet floors tend to be very smooth)

They are not actually ballet slippers...they are meant as a woman's office shoe so she can take off shoes under desk....they are all neoprene....bottom he tread "painted on" almost identical to putting seam sealer or silicon on other items to eliminate slippage...

can't imagine them being too durable. seems like you could just put your insoles in your socks and get the same results. (note: i still can't fully wrap my head around the perceived need for camp shoes)

In those, one could really Plie to Pee eh?

Good option for those of us who use camp shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    I have discovered this(probably been done before, but in my mind this is MINE)

VersaToes.....neoprene "ballet" type slippers, at TJMaxx....$5

Fit great, like aqua shoes....dry in like 5 minutes once wet....pack smaller than pair of ankle socks...

Check this out....remove insoles from hiking shoes, insert in slipper, insert foot......nice robust "sole" that soaks up rock bumps, etc.....allows for stream crossings, etc....the foam insole from shoe doesn't take on water either....

1.9 ounce, "custom fitted" as sole is already molded to foot, basically waterproof, packs tiny, cheap, durable camp/water shoe...

Why not take these...debate over for me.....

So is that 1.9 oz per shoe or for the pair?

Weight per PAIR

I'm following to hear a review. My gut is that I wouldn't want to use these anywhere I wouldn't be comfortable walking barefoot anyways... But I guess it depends how you use your camp shoes. I like to use mine for walking to the cathole, getting water etc. so I like a reasonably good performance.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Neoprene can get kind of sweaty in warm weather. Will these let your feet dry out after a days hiking ?
    that's the main reason I like my vivo barefoots, the open design gives my feet plenty of air.

Let's see the sole. Any camp shoe that you cant go fill up water at a spring is no good. Some spring paths are muddy and steep.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Traction as well as comfort may be an issue. I use the outer half of my VivoBarefoot shoes (8.0 oz in total, size 10) as camp shoes, which works fairly well but doesn't allow me to scamper over sharp rocks. Traction is very good on dry surfaces, but can be slick on muddy tracks. They are not as comfortable as my Crocs, but they pack down much smaller.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

AT 2012

The Underwear Guys sell these for 9 bucks... they weigh under 3 ounces. if you are comfortable in your trail runners and just want something to wear for a pee trip or right around a shelter, these have worked great for me for years. i've been looking for something lighter for a while, and have been using tyvek shoe covers lately -- and they are far less protective than the neoprene booties. I'd like to try your ballet booties -- same idea, less weight. i'm in. http://www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...roducts_id=218
    Lazarus

Images

Seriously, good find, I'm tempted... but really not solved the debate, the debate continues: Do you really need ANY camp shoes, even at a couple ounces? I still (barely) say no, no need whatsoever. When you get to camp at night, unlace your trail runners (or any other boot/shoe, doesn't matter), take out the insoles (let then air out and dry) and voila, comfy camp shoes, weight = 0 nano grams.

But still.... at 1.9 ounces, might be useful in towns/hostels/etc. Again, good find for those that insist on something.

You will say camp shoes aren't worth it until you feet have been wet for two days and you want to put on something to air your feet out. I was of the mindset that they are not worth the weight either, but now, I can't imagine not letting my feet breathe and stretch out after a long day on the trail. I use some knock off crocs, which I also use for water crossings and swimming. I believe for me, they are worth it.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

There are times that I want a pair of camp shoes, but mostly, not. I get by just fine by removing socks and loosening my shoes for fetching water and making trips to dig a cathole.

I do tend to want something to wear for those knee deep creek crossings a lot more than I do something to kick around in camp. For that reason these don't appeal so much to me. If I'm carrying an alternate pair of footwear they have to have a stiff enough sole to absorb some sharp rock edges on a creek bottom.

I'd like to try these but I doubt ballet booties come in size 13.

I have a cut nerve in one calf from a trauma incident. This has created a neuropathy issue in my foot, that's a lot like plantars fasciitis. I need a shoe with a stiff sole to better support the bottom of my foot. Trail runners just don't make it for me. I wear generic tennis shoes at work and the 1st thing I do getting home is to put on my crocs. I have a pair of Lowa Renagade boots that seem to fit well, but they are certainly not lounge wear. So yes I do need camp shoes.

Another point about camp shoes; At work they tried to make us wear those black rubber shoe cover things. Some non-slip/fall prevention Lawyer BS. No scale at work but they are obviously much lighter than crocs. very thin sole 1/8-1/4 inch? no sharp rock prevention. Some tread on the bottom so non-slip? kinda, Very low cut no good for muddy conditions. The top barely covers your toes so should be breathable. In general I think it's worth checking out. I'll go to Xmart and get a pair that fit over my stocking feet maybe you should too.

++ New Posts ++