WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What do you think about The klymit static v2 sleeping pad?

It's only 49 dollars on Massdrop. It is very light for the price at 1 pound. The only thing I am concerned about is the r-rating at 1.3.
    Will this pad be ok for low 30's? Have anyone used it?
    Here is the link: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klymit-...2-sleeping-pad
    Thanks

I wouldn't want to use it in those temps. I was also never a fan of Klymit pads though, I could be speaking from a negative bias.

Images

1.3R and low 30s are not a good combination.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I left Springer March 24, 2013 with the original Static V, probably R 1.0. I had a 25* bag and it was 24* that night with blowing snow. It was OK, but I didn't know about R value at the time. I have since gotten a Big Agnes QCore SL. I kept the Static V for warmer weather, thought it was comfortable. But I could tell I was losing heat to the ground. Just depends on the rest of your system. For shorter trip, try it. For a long distance trip, spend more and get what you really need.

Just my $.02.

I just got mine the other day and laid in it for an hour or two while watching TV (very scientific test, I know It's loads more comfortable than my NeoAir xLite (large, 15.12 ounces with stuff sack), but a little heavier at 16.97 ounces, 17.29 with stuff sack. I've tried probably 10+ air mattresses over the years (newest one before this was the Big Agnes Z-whatever; which I returned) and find it to be the most comfortable to date. I think it's because all the baffles (or whatever you want to call them) - the raised pockets of air - make it feel more like a real mattress with all it's coil springs, whereas all the other air mattresses just feel REALLY firm since they don't flex at all being all one mostly flat surface. Time will tell how it does when I actually use it for multiple nights sleep. I'm also looking at the new Sea To Summit Ultralight Mat to try out in the near future (but I have a feeling that one will feel like all the others I've tried).

For it's R-Value, it's definitely only for warmer weather. My house is built on a concrete slab (with engineered hardwood floor overtop - i.e. it's a colder floor than most), and after only a few minutes I could definitely tell it wasn't as warm as the NeoAir xLite (3.2 R-Value) when I was switching them back and forth during my little 'test'.

Thank You guys. What do you think the average low can be at for this pad to be good at? I have a 32 degree sleeping bag.

Very lightweight and comfy folds to about the size of a wide water bottle.

I have the static v. Just put a space blanket under it.

Cuz is correct. A space blanket or half size ccf under your torso works well in colder weather. I actually used my Inertia x frame last week and slept fine in a 20 bag with the pad in the bag and then bag on a half z rest and my legs and feet on y pack. It got into the mid 20's and I was quite warm. But I do sleep warm and I also take measure s to ensure I sleep warm. I like the static v. My girl Uses one and likes it a lot.

++ New Posts ++