WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do mice, chipmunks, etc. chew through cuben?

I have a question: Do mice, chipmunks, etc. chew through cuben?

I have been thinking I would like to have a cuben bag for the entire backpack, if mice, chipmunks and etc, cannot chew thru the cuben.

The chipmunks around here are so bold they run right over the top of me in my bivy during the nighttime. I would sleep better knowing my entire backpack is safe from their chewing holes in the backpack. If there are trees, I at least hang the backpack on a broken off dead lower branch. However, there isn't always a helpful tree.

There are different cuben, a laminate, different weight materials.

Does anyone have experience? Does anyone know?

They can. I had a buddy who lost that battle to a mouse with his cuben fiber food bag.

Some claim cuben's more rodent resistant. I have no idea why. I saw the hole in his food bag.

Images

I haven't had them chew through my cuben bags but one chewed through the draw string.

Images

YES they can and will, had a mouse chew through a cuben belt pouch and also into the zipper. If he had'nt got the zipper I could have repaired it on trail, an open belt pouch if of no use.

Images

Yes, and I have the holes in my $40 cuben food bag to prove it. (And he got my favorite snacks, too, the little bugger.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The only backpack you're going to find (and it'll be a tough find) that will hold off a persistent and hungry critter are the old Kelty Whiteclouds. I've been trying to get my hands on a particular one for a few years now with no luck. =<

Next best bet would be an Ursack but that's not a backpack.

Does a goose have a neck?

The fabric used for the Kelty Cloud pack was Spectra fabric.

Spectra fabric is available, reported difficult to sew.

I have been considering the Ursak for food.

I have had my backpack chewed on, as well. Salt?

The Ursak sold isn't big enough to enclose the entire backpack. I would think it would be heavy, if that big.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-01-2015 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    The fabric used for the Kelty Cloud pack was Spectra fabric.

Spectra fabric is available, reported difficult to sew.

I have been considering the Ursak for food.

I have had my backpack chewed on, as well. Salt?

The Ursak sold isn't big enough to enclose the entire backpack. I would think it would be heavy, if that big.
    Precisely.

I'm pretty sure Kelty had special equipment for the sole purpose of sewing the packs. They are super sweet though. I've seen a few, but haven't found the one I want for sale anywhere yet.

Chipmunks don't stand a chance against em!

An Ursack backpack would be heavy.

Images

I ran into a hiker a couple of years ago using some sort of stainless steel mesh bag that held his entire pack. It might have been a Ratsack, like this. He was a pretty ultralight hiker, with a pack small enough to fit inside. I don't know anything else about this product or company.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I ran into a hiker a couple of years ago using some sort of stainless steel mesh bag that held his entire pack. It might have been a Ratsack, like this. He was a pretty ultralight hiker, with a pack small enough to fit inside. I don't know anything else about this product or company.
    Had on of them. The chain link came loose and punctured a hole in my inflatable pad while stored in my pack. I us an Ursak Minor now with no food stolen yet.

I have a question: Do mice, chipmunks, etc. chew through cuben?

I have been thinking I would like to have a cuben bag for the entire backpack, if mice, chipmunks and etc, cannot chew thru the cuben.

The chipmunks around here are so bold they run right over the top of me in my bivy during the nighttime. I would sleep better knowing my entire backpack is safe from their chewing holes in the backpack. If there are trees, I at least hang the backpack on a broken off dead lower branch. However, there isn't always a helpful tree.

There are different cuben, a laminate, different weight materials.

Does anyone have experience? Does anyone know?
    Probably a good rule of thumb is if the material can be easily cut with scissors, critters can chew through it.

I'm going to get me an old (used) airbag from a junkyard and make a food bag. Those things have got to be mickey mouse proof if they can withstand an explosion
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    I'm going to get me an old (used) airbag from a junkyard and make a food bag. Those things have got to be mickey mouse proof if they can withstand an explosion
    Now that's the best DIY idea I've heard in a while...goot one!

Have you tried storing all your food, kitchen gear, toiletries, etc. in an odor-proof bag(s) like the LOKSAK's OPSAK? They work very well but you do need to be sure not to get smells on the outside of the bag.

I use OPsak's. I hadn't thought of foolin' chipmunks, mice, racoons, etc. I did have a racoon bite into retort packaged entrees. That was expensive. The racoon bit into every package!

I suppose I could set something out to find out. I would hate to ruin a hike.

I just found that link: http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/diy-chew-proof-bear-bag

Gossamer Gear has good information.

Images

The one night I could not get all my food into the OP Sak was the only night a mouse got into my cuben food bag (the Blast bag from Zpacks.)

The Ursacks work for small critters - I watched a raccoon try in vain to get inside mine on a food pole in Shenandoah -- he gave up and tried for someone else's silnylon bag so I chased him away. I never had any mice inside the Ursack. But it's heavier than the Blast bag and much smaller.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

bigcranky, Are you saying if an Opsak is inside a cuben food bag, that is enough?

Images

bigcranky, Are you saying if an Opsak is inside a cuben food bag, that is enough?
    That was our experience, yes. We had ~18 nights on the LT this summer, and the only time we had a mouse in a food bag was the one night we could not fit all the food inside an OP Sak. The food bags were generally hung properly using the PCT style, but sometimes hung inside the shelter. That one night, the bag was hung well away from the shelter.

Now, this is not really evidence. It's possible that on the other 17 nights there were no mice anywhere near the shelter. But it's enough for me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++