WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a cuben fiber food sack and I don't get any rodents biting into it because I hang it PCT method. That would probably keep them out of any kind of bag. I also stand by the old adage that you should leave anything you don't want a hole in unzipped and open so rodents can run in and out without biting holes.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

It will probably depend on exactly what type of Cuben Fiber is used.
    For example the type used in the HMG packs is nothing at all like the types used on shelters or LW stuff sacks.
    Note that HMG themselves use different types of Cuben depending on the intended use.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    The only backpack you're going to find (and it'll be a tough find) that will hold off a persistent and hungry critter are the old Kelty Whiteclouds. I've been trying to get my hands on a particular one for a few years now with no luck. =<
    Hi, Which Kelty Whitecloud are you looking for? I have one that I bought new years ago for a long hike I had planned but the pack didn't arrive in time. It has bright yellow colored webbing on it and I only used it a few times.

I am interested to know the particular cuben or cuben hybrid that would serve.

I am also interested to know where that preferred airbag fabric may be obtained as fabric. Surely not Ford Motors?

I picked up this idea sometime back and made two; they come up heavy but effective.I told the vehicle wrecker what I needed it for it and it brought a smile. You need a sharp knife to hack it from the vehicle.

I see that Usack makes a rodent proof (but not bear proof) bag. 650 cubic inches/5.28 oz. You would also need a liner for it (another oz?). I have not used it, but have seen it recommended for places where critters but not bears are a problem (such as the Grand Canyon).

One question I had was to what degree are mouse problems associated with camper density? In other words, is camping away from a shelter or established campground the best protection?

I don't know about mice, but I once saw where a squirrel chewed a hole in the corner of an aluminum electrical box.

Journal Entries

Where I live, rats and squirrels chew thru 3/4" plywood and heavy duty thick plastic barrels.

Nothing but heavy metal is really rodent-resistant if theres food there and they have enough time.

Cuben is not very abrasion resistant, its not a miracle item. It has high tensile strength, and is waterresistant.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-08-2015 at 11:59.

Any Kelty Spectra pack will handle mice, deer, and most dogs. Good luck finding one though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++